• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Rome and Lucca

colette123

10+ Posts
Ok, so I'm pretty sure our two weeks in Italy will be one full week in Rome, and the second one in Lucca. Silly question, but should we book the return flight(Canada) from the Florence airport? We will not have a car in Rome and I see that it is difficult to have a car in Lucca. So I imagine the easiest place to get from one place to another is train? what about getting to the airport for the return flight? Also debating on pros and cons of an apartment or just getting a room in a bed and breakfast. any recommendations? We are on a mid range budget. Oh, and a last question (bear with me) which area of Rome would be best to stay in?

If your last week is in Lucca, flying home from Florence or Pisa (which is even closer) makes sense...whichever has the better flights to Canada. When staying a week, I would definitely prefer an apartment where you can prepare some meals if you want and where you have more room to move about. We always stay in a wonderful apartment in a great location in Rome...I have recommended it to others on this forum. If you decide on an apartment in Rome, I will be more than happy to give you the website.

Lucca is almost all ZTL inside the walls. It is an easy train ride to Florence or Pisa (and, if you want to do some local touring, bus service available to Bagni di Lucca and other stops up the valley). However, there is a free parking lot just outside the walls of Lucca if you would be comfortable leaving a rental there (we've been using the lot for day trips for over 30 years and never had any concerns with safety/security). The lot is at Piazzale Don Franco Baroni and is a short walk to the wall on the Porta Santa Maria side of the city. Depending on the location of your lodging, this might give you the option of keeping your car in order to visit the Serchio Valley and/or the Garfagnana areas. There is a pay lot very near the Leaning Tower in Pisa and an easy drive to get to as an alternative to bus/train. Florence is not car friendly (ZTL nightmare), so a train is by far the best choice for that. From Lucca, you are also close to the beach (Viareggio/Lido di Camaiore) and in reach of other coastal stops -- Portovenere, Carrara, Pietrasanta, among others (Cinque Terre if you want, but getting swamped by numbers).

If your last week is in Lucca, flying home from Florence or Pisa (which is even closer) makes sense...whichever has the better flights to Canada. When staying a week, I would definitely prefer an apartment where you can prepare some meals if you want and where you have more room to move about. We always stay in a wonderful apartment in a great location in Rome...I have recommended it to others on this forum. If you decide on an apartment in Rome, I will be more than happy to give you the website.
I would appreciate having the website, thank you!!

Lucca is almost all ZTL inside the walls. It is an easy train ride to Florence or Pisa (and, if you want to do some local touring, bus service available to Bagni di Lucca and other stops up the valley). However, there is a free parking lot just outside the walls of Lucca if you would be comfortable leaving a rental there (we've been using the lot for day trips for over 30 years and never had any concerns with safety/security). The lot is at Piazzale Don Franco Baroni and is a short walk to the wall on the Porta Santa Maria side of the city. Depending on the location of your lodging, this might give you the option of keeping your car in order to visit the Serchio Valley and/or the Garfagnana areas. There is a pay lot very near the Leaning Tower in Pisa and an easy drive to get to as an alternative to bus/train. Florence is not car friendly (ZTL nightmare), so a train is by far the best choice for that. From Lucca, you are also close to the beach (Viareggio/Lido di Camaiore) and in reach of other coastal stops -- Portovenere, Carrara, Pietrasanta, among others (Cinque Terre if you want, but getting swamped by numbers).
Thank you! noting all this great info...

Hi Colette.
Great choices for your trip.
I live in W. Canada, and usually fly home from Florence if my trip ends near there.
You flight from there will connect in Munich or Frankfurt, if you're flying Air Canada/Lufthansa.
Be aware that flights from Florence are often late leaving there, and they never tell you why!
So if you went that route, you'd need to make sure you had a connection time of at least two hours in Germany, or wherever you connect to.
You can do the same for Pisa, as there is a direct bus to Pisa airport from Lucca, taking about 25 minutes.
We were just in Lucca in September, and stayed slightly outside the wall, but an easy walk in of about 15 minutes; less if you have better knees that I do!
Also, only 10 mins walk to the train station.
We stayed at "Granny's House".
Here's the link:

Long link, sorry; but you can find it on Booking.com.
It was really hot weather when we were there, but the house was nice and cool due to nice tile floors, and good shutters.
The only thing is that it does not have a washing machine, but you can hand wash and there is a drying rack to put outside.
We saw a couple of laundries along the road if you needed them.
The little kitchen and bathroom are nice, and it was really clean.
It's got a little patio out back, and is all on one level.
Lots of little shops and café- bars along the road, and a huge supermarket not far away.

We were also in Rome, and stayed here:

Also on booking.com:
Called "Around the Corner Colosseo".
We thought it was just a room, but it turned out to be a huge 3-bed room, and a kitchen, and a nice bathroom.
No living room, but an easy chair in the hall.
It was all so clean, it squeaked.
And fabulous sheets!
You can't use the stove for some safety reason, but there's a microwave, coffee maker and kettle.
It was walking distance to Termini Station, about 10 mins.
Near buses and Metro.
The sisters who run it are fabulous women, and couldn't do enough for us.
They live in the building.
I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

If you need more info, let me know!

Hi Colette.
Great choices for your trip.
I live in W. Canada, and usually fly home from Florence if my trip ends near there.
You flight from there will connect in Munich or Frankfurt, if you're flying Air Canada/Lufthansa.
Be aware that flights from Florence are often late leaving there, and they never tell you why!
So if you went that route, you'd need to make sure you had a connection time of at least two hours in Germany, or wherever you connect to.
You can do the same for Pisa, as there is a direct bus to Pisa airport from Lucca, taking about 25 minutes.
We were just in Lucca in September, and stayed slightly outside the wall, but an easy walk in of about 15 minutes; less if you have better knees that I do!
Also, only 10 mins walk to the train station.
We stayed at "Granny's House".
Here's the link:

Long link, sorry; but you can find it on Booking.com.
It was really hot weather when we were there, but the house was nice and cool due to nice tile floors, and good shutters.
The only thing is that it does not have a washing machine, but you can hand wash and there is a drying rack to put outside.
We saw a couple of laundries along the road if you needed them.
The little kitchen and bathroom are nice, and it was really clean.
It's got a little patio out back, and is all on one level.
Lots of little shops and café- bars along the road, and a huge supermarket not far away.

We were also in Rome, and stayed here:

Also on booking.com:
Called "Around the Corner Colosseo".
We thought it was just a room, but it turned out to be a huge 3-bed room, and a kitchen, and a nice bathroom.
No living room, but an easy chair in the hall.
It was all so clean, it squeaked.
And fabulous sheets!
You can't use the stove for some safety reason, but there's a microwave, coffee maker and kettle.
It was walking distance to Termini Station, about 10 mins.
Near buses and Metro.
The sisters who run it are fabulous women, and couldn't do enougoneh for us.
They live in the building.
I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

If you need more info, let me know!
thank you so much SMJ. great info. I will look into all that! those two places look great. I will definitely look into booking one of them when I have definite dates. May I ask if there is a specific site on which you check for flights?

I would appreciate having the website, thank you!!
Hi Collette. These are the apartments we rent in Rome...very central location on a pedestrian only street halfway between Largo Argentina and Campo dei Fiori. We always stay in the Blue apartment, but our friends rented the Orange studio the last time we visited and it was also really very nice.
Cristina is wonderful to work with...very responsive.

If you decide on a B&B for Lucca, we put some friends up in Al Porto di Lucca a few years ago and they were very happy with the accommodations. The location is just outside the walls and a 5 minute walk to Porta San Pietro for entry to the city or, equally, 5 minutes to the train station for excursions. The exterior of the building fronts directly onto a street (some pizzerias in the neighborhood), but the back of the property opens up into a very beautiful garden where you can take breakfast. If you do retain a car, there is no parking at the B&B.

http://alportodilucca.com/index.html

Hi Collette. These are the apartments we rent in Rome...very central location on a pedestrian only street halfway between Largo Argentina and Campo dei Fiori. We always stay in the Blue apartment, but our friends rented the Orange studio the last time we visited and it was also really very nice.
Cristina is wonderful to work with...very responsive.
thank you!! noting all this. greatly appreciated!

If you decide on a B&B for Lucca, we put some friends up in Al Porto di Lucca a few years ago and they were very happy with the accommodations. The location is just outside the walls and a 5 minute walk to Porta San Pietro for entry to the city or, equally, 5 minutes to the train station for excursions. The exterior of the building fronts directly onto a street (some pizzerias in the neighborhood), but the back of the property opens up into a very beautiful garden where you can take breakfast. If you do retain a car, there is no parking at the B&B.

http://alportodilucca.com/index.html
thank you! noting all this!...

RE: Lucca
How many in your group? I have a couple of favorite places in Lucca, but both are really suitable only for two. I would be happy to send you the links. We have been to Lucca many times and hope to retire there in a few years.

As for a car, it depends on what you want to do. If you have a week, I think you might want to drive up through the Lunigiana or the Garfagnana, or down to the coast (Lerici and Tellaro are lovely). If you want to do so, you will want a car, and there is ample parking, as described in earlier responses. If you plan to stay within the walls, you will neither need or want a car.

As for flights, I have never flown from either Pisa or Florence--we've always gone back to Fiumicino. One word of caution: always beware of train delays. We once took a train from Florence to Rome, which was significantly delayed, and very nearly missed our flight home, even though we thought we had built in plenty of time for the trip.

RE: Rome
My favorite neighborhood is Monti--it's a real neighborhood and not super touristy, and it's very close to the Coliseum and forum. Trastevere is very popular; however, the last time I stayed there, it was very, very noisy into the wee hours of the morning, and my husband had trouble sleeping.

As a general rule, we typically rent apartments in Italy, but in Rome, we have tended to stay in hotels--mostly because we are usually in Rome for a couple of days en route to other locations. For a week's stay, I would want the extra space available in an apartment. A hotel room can feel very cramped. Plus, sometimes it's nice to take a break and either cook a meal or pick up some prepared food.

Last edited:
Hi Colette,
I look for airline prices and connection combinations on Skyscanner and Google Flights.
I've bought tickets in the past from Travelocity and Expedia; but now I prefer to buy directly from the actual airline.
Less chance of things going wrong, as no middle man.
I see from your profile that you are in Montreal.
You can probably fly direct to Rome from there.

RE: Lucca
How many in your group? I have a couple of favorite places in Lucca, but both are really suitable only for two. I would be happy to send you the links. We have been to Lucca many times and hope to retire there in a few years.

As for a car, it depends on what you want to do. If you have a week, I think you might want to drive up through the Lunigiana or the Garfagnana, or down to the coast (Lerici and Tellaro are lovely). If you want to do so, you will want a car, and there is ample parking, as described in earlier responses. If you plan to stay within the walls, you will neither need or want a car.

As for flights, I have never flown from either Pisa or Florence--we've always gone back to Fiumicino. One word of caution: always beware of train delays. We once took a train from Florence to Rome, which was significantly delayed, and very nearly missed our flight home, even though we thought we had built in plenty of time for the trip.

RE: Rome
My favorite neighborhood is Monti--it's a real neighborhood and not super touristy, and it's very close to the Coliseum and forum. Trastevere is very popular; however, the last time I stayed there, it was very, very noisy into the wee hours of the morning, and my husband had trouble sleeping.

As a general rule, we typically rent apartments in Italy, but in Rome, we have tended to stay in hotels--mostly because we are usually in Rome for a couple of days en route to other locations. For a week's stay, I would want the extra space available in an apartment. A hotel room can feel very cramped. Plus, sometimes it's nice to take a break and either cook a meal or pick up some prepared food.
thank you Lisa. all this info is tremendously helpful.
we will be two people,my husband and I, so I would absolutely love to have your recommendations. I did look a bit at return flights from Pisa and Florence and they are 11 hours + with a stopover, so I am wondering if it would be simpler to go back to Rome and take a return flight back from there.

thank you Lisa. all this info is tremendously helpful.
we will be two people,my husband and I, so I would absolutely love to have your recommendations. I did look a bit at return flights from Pisa and Florence and they are 11 hours + with a stopover, so I am wondering if it would be simpler to go back to Rome and take a return flight back from there.
Yes, for sure...return to Rome if you can fly nonstop home from there.

Hi Colette,
I look for airline prices and connection combinations on Skyscanner and Google Flights.
I've bought tickets in the past from Travelocity and Expedia; but now I prefer to buy directly from the actual airline.
Less chance of things going wrong, as no middle man.
I see from your profile that you are in Montreal.
You can probably fly direct to Rome from there.
thank you SMJ. I do check on Skyscanner for flights, but will have to book via my bank's travel agency, as I want to use points I've accumulated on a credit card. The flights are direct to Rome from Montreal, however seeing as we will be finishing in Lucca, I don't know if it would be easier to return to Rome for a direct return flight or from Pisa or Florence , in which there will be a connection which makes it at least 11 hours + return. (I'm at the beginning of my trip research, so at least I have time to decide)

Here is our favorite place in Lucca: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1377449?source_impression_id=p3_1570972297_5IiZOeT86mn9Ed+5. We have stayed there twice. The apartment is lovely, within the walls, great kitchen, and the host is super.

This is the other apartment we once rented: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2523398?source_impression_id=p3_1570972613_Bzan9fZ4RRe0M8mk. This is a great location--right on Corso Garibaldi. The only warning about this apartment is that the bathroom is very, very tiny. If you can live with the bathroom, the rest of the apartment is spacious and nicely decorated.

Here is our favorite place in Lucca: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1377449?source_impression_id=p3_1570972297_5IiZOeT86mn9Ed+5. We have stayed there twice. The apartment is lovely, within the walls, great kitchen, and the host is super.

This is the other apartment we once rented: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2523398?source_impression_id=p3_1570972613_Bzan9fZ4RRe0M8mk. This is a great location--right on Corso Garibaldi. The only warning about this apartment is that the bathroom is very, very tiny. If you can live with the bathroom, the rest of the apartment is spacious and nicely decorated.

We have stayed at the San Luca Palace Hotel (yes, only one "c"). It's a very nice hotel and the staff is exceptional. It is located about 150 meters inside the city walls. Even if you don't stay there, go there for an aperitivo. They serve actual hors d'oeuvres, the best!

We had a car there and you can get to their parking lot without entering the ZTL. And it is very safe, they share the lot with the Polizia!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina