• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Rome Colosseum Underground Tour

Sharon J

100+ Posts
I apologize for asking this question, as I know it was addressed recently, but I can't find it. My husband and I will be in Rome for four days in Rome next June, after a week at Sant'Antonio. We are very familiar with Rome, but this tour is of great interest to us. I looked it up on line, but want to make sure I get the correct tour, and how early we can book. I think it was mentioned that it sells out quickly.

Thanks for any help!!!

Sharon

I used a website which I believe is the actual Colosseum website. It looked a lot like this but I think they have changed the name so I am absolutely sure if it is the same people. I just had a look and it seems they only start selling tickets about a month before and they must sell out very quickly as for the whole month of October, on a random search I could only find a total of four morning slots available on three days in October and they only went on sale on the 18th September! I would imagine June would be very popular so best to look out for the day these are released in May and get on the website http://www.coopculture.it/en/ticket.cfm?office=Colosseo, Sotterranei e Terzo Ordine&id=0&evento=6

Sharon...I am very familiar with buying the tickets to this tour now that I have recently bought 2 sets of the night tour for friends next month and a set of the daytime tour tickets for 4 of us on October 8.
Buy this tour directly from the coopculture website...not a 3rd party tour company.
1. The nighttime Underground Colosseum tour.
http://www.coopculture.it/en/ticket.cfm?office=Colosseum by night 2017&id=0&evento=177
These tickets are easier to obtain as they go on sale further ahead than the daytime tour. The cost is 20 euro/person, but your entry into the Colosseum is included with this tour ticket.
Right now, tickets for the nighttime tour are only available until the end of this year, so I would check every few weeks to see when they put next year's tickets up for sale.
2. The daytime Underground Colosseum Tour.
http://www.coopculture.it/en/events.cfm?id=6
These tickets are difficult to obtain because they are in high demand. They only go on sale the 3rd Monday of the month before at 9m Rome time (i.e., May 21, 2018 for all of June, 2018). The cost is 11 euro (includes a 2 euro reservation fee). This tour does not include your entry ticket into the Colosseum...you have to buy that separately (it is a combined ticket to the Colosseum and Forum/Palatine Hill).
Pros of the night time tour...tickets are easier to obtain, it is cooler and less crowded at night in June, the Colosseum lit up at night is beautiful.
Cons of the night time tour...the tour does not include access to the 3rd tier.
Pros of the day time tour...the tour includes access to the 3rd tier of the Colosseum where the views over the Forum are quite good on a nice day.
Cons of the day time tour...it will probably be hot in June and definitely more crowded, you have to go online at 9am Rome time to even have a chance of getting these tickets...tickets sell out for the month within an hour and it is often difficult to even get into the system because of the demand.
These are the parameters for buying these tickets at present. Keep checking the coopculture websiten case changes are made.

I so agree - direct from the Colosseum - never buy from a third party! In the same vein (and going off topic a bit), I now never book hotels through sites like Expedia, hotels.com booking.com etc - you know what you are getting and you are their customer, not some faceless website who is not interested in helping you when things go wrong.

Yes, Felicity's info is correct. We did the tour five years ago. I remember getting anxious because I could not reserve the tickets as far in advance as I wanted. As I recall they only released tickets about 6 weeks in advance at that time.

Whatever you do, get those tickets. I had been to the Colosseum twice before, but the experience to go to the subterranean section is indescribably eye opening. And it's not just that level. They also take you to an upper level not open to general admission people. It is amazing how high up you are, and then you realize that there were still several levels higher back then.

Our tour guide was an archeology professor and she was fantastic.

Thank you everyone for the terrific information. Guess I will set my alarm clock to purchase tickets!!!!

Haha, Sharon...it was 3am our time when I had to go on the coopculture site. I was not successful the first night...by the time I got into the site, our dates were sold out as was almost all of October. But I just happened to go on at 4am the next night and a few dates had opened back up....ours included. So be sure to check again the next day if you are not successful the first time they become available.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina