• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Rome for a few days

JustTravel

1000+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Thanks to SlowEurope prize, we are planning to spend five nights in Rome late October near Campo de Fiori. We first visited Rome in 1990, returned a few times but the last time was 2007 for a week. We have done the "biggies" and not interested in fighting the crowds to see them again. We like parks and churches, and simply walking, enjoying. Any suggestions? Places to visit away from crowds?

I'm with you re: avoiding crowds at the "biggies", and Rome is full of great stuff no matter what.

Have you been to the Villa Giulia (Etruscan Museum)?
villa giulia etruscan rome

On my last trip, I went to the Baths of Caracalla, because I'd never been.... beautiful, not crowded (unless there's an opera on). Good for a wander, or take a picnic! https://www.coopculture.it/heritage.cfm?id=6

It will be crowded, but... Roscioli is a great bakery, near you

And I had a lovely dinner on the very quiet (in the evening) Via Margutta (parallel to Babuino) at
Osteria Margutta, sit outside, might need a reservation

Just a few ideas, you'll find lots of others

Have fun
Karen

It almost sound like you've been several times and are blasé about Rome! That being said, if I were you, I would simply enjoy long walks, explore Trastevere, sit on patios, eat great food, relax and enjoy your prize! Then I'd throw in a day trip or an overnight to fabulous Orvieto! ;)

Not so much blasé but rather not interested in fighting the crowd. We will definitely do a lot of walking. We stayed a week in Trastevere back in 2007. It would be lovely to see Santa Maria in Trastevere again. Would also like to see St. Peter's again.

Would also like to revisit the various churches of Rome. Wondering how the crowd is in churches like Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, San Giovanni in Laterano, San Pietro in Vincoli, San Paolo fuori le Mura, San Clemente, etc.

By the way, we have been/stayed in Orvieto several times before. Maybe, we will take a daytrip there.

Here's a souvenir from Orvieto.....

fullsizeoutput_b22.jpeg

You could stroll over to Villa Doria Pamphilj. Although the Villa is not open to the public, the surrounding park is a really nice respite from the crowds of Rome and a nice place to walk. It's probably 2-3 km from Campo di Fiore. Perhaps stop at Roscioli (right at the end of your street) on the way and pick up something for a nice picnic lunch. Also, you could stop at the Orto Botanico on the way or the way back. Would make for a nice "green" day contrast to the "city" streets.

It would be lovely to see Santa Maria in Trastevere again.

Of the hundreds of churches in Rome, this is the one that hits all the church notes for me. It looks like a church, it smells like one, it sounds like one (the piped in chants), somehow for me it all comes together in this place.

Reactions: jan
Do you have any interest in CineCitta, the movie studio just outside of Rome? It's easy to get to via the subway, and it's right next to the station when you arrive.

Thanks for the great suggestion. We are transiting through Rome with a two day break on our way back from an African trip in October and are in much the same position as the OP as regards fighting crowds to see things we have experienced a number of times in the past. The Ara Pacis and the Domus Aurea things we have not seen before, so will also be adding those to our itinerary. We were also taken to the Trattoria da Enzo a few years ago with the promise that it was the best in town. We didn't get in and tried again last year and couldn't get reservations then either. This is year is a do or die try for eating there and hoping it's really as good as advertised (trying for lunch).

The Villa Farnesina is lovely and generally not too crowded. A sunset walk along the Pincio is beautiful, as are the mosaics at San Prassede. There is a beautiful Caravaggio, the Madonna di Loreto, at the church of Sant'Agostino.

I second the Villa Farnesina. Been there a couple of times with no crowds. Raphael's last frescos are beautiful and so is the villa. Another favorite, slightly off the beaten track the Borromini's trick perspective corridor in the Palazzo Spada, near the Campo di Fiori. Going from Trastevere to St. Peter's, take the Passegiata del Gianicolo, through the park and up to Piazza Garibaldi, with incredible views.

You could stroll over to Villa Doria Pamphilj. Although the Villa is not open to the public, the surrounding park is a really nice respite from the crowds of Rome and a nice place to walk. It's probably 2-3 km from Campo di Fiore. Perhaps stop at Roscioli (right at the end of your street) on the way and pick up something for a nice picnic lunch. Also, you could stop at the Orto Botanico on the way or the way back. Would make for a nice "green" day contrast to the "city" streets.
We visited Villa Doria Pamphilj a few years ago - but maybe it was open for some special occasion?

We visited Villa Doria Pamphilj a few years ago - but maybe it was open for some special occasion?
There are two places associated with Doria Pamphilij. The Gallery on Via Del Corso (lots of art and the family residence) which is open to the public and the Villa across the river on the park which generally is not. They are often confused. If it was the Villa you were in then it must have been a special occasion.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina