• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Rome In Early November?

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Now that I'm not quite so panicked about voting via absentee ballot, I'm rethinking our departure date from Italy. We'll arrive on Aug 17 and I'd planned to return the rental car on Sat, Oct 30 and fly on on Nov 1. I got such a great price on our car rental and I'm doubting I'll be able to re-book without paying a lot more, so....I'm thinking about spending a few days in Rome at the end.

It'll be a PITA to return the car to FCO and then travel back into Rome because our luggage is always MUCH heavier on the return, but the last time we were in Rome was 2017, so I don't mind. My question is this: Sunday, Nov 1 is a holiday, and I'm wondering if everything will be open or completely shut down in Rome on that day.

Even though the official tourist season will be over and the days will be shorter, I'm sure there will be plenty to see and do for a few days, don't you? One thing I want to see for sure is the new exhibit of the Roman sculptures I posted about in another thread.

The general rule is that Sundays and holidays amount to the same thing as far as closings, and it should be similar to other Sundays. It's a bigger deal mainly when May 1 or Christmas fall on Sunday.

We had an extra day in Rome on our way back from Tanzania last year and went to see Cinecitta. Was a short, easy, and fun diversion -- and found a fantastic restaurant for lunch one metro stop away, so all good. Did not make it to the aqueduct park across the road due to other commitments, but looked like a nice stroll to take.

[QUOTE="artnbarb, post: 33753we didn't explore the aqueduct park. A clear cool day in November might be perfect!
[/QUOTE]

Check the menu for Meo Pinelli right at the Subaugusta Metro — really enjoyed food, desserts, and service there.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina