• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Rome with Kids

DaddyDan

10+ Posts
Next February I will be taking my kids (2, 8, and 10 years old) to Rome for a week. We have an apartment booked in Trastevere on Riale de Trastevere. I would appreciate on non touristy things to do and good food to eat. I generally avoid science museums, kids museums, and aquariums during vacations. We can see those near our home. How touristy is Rome in February? Hopefully, it will be slow at that time.

Thanks!!

What qualifies as "non-touristy"? My kids enjoyed little things like the Aventine Keyhole and the changing of the guard at the Quirinal Palace, but one is an uphill walk from the Circo Massimo Metro and the other requires standing around outside (good in June; not so good in February). We used to do scavenger hunts when our kids were in the 6 - 10 range so that my wife and I could enjoy some time in the art museums with the kids in tow -- would set up searches for things in the paintings like "Woman in a yellow dress; a black dog; etc." with a gelato prize when the sheets were completed. When our kids were 2 and 3 years old, my wife spent a lot of time in Roman churches praying for them to get over being 2 and 3, but little did we know that we would be looking back on that as the "good old days" when they got to be teenagers.

Yes, it's hard to know what crosses the line into touristy, but I think it's nice to take in the old streets of Trastevere and the Jewish Ghetto, including crossing at Isola Tiberina, without needing to see sights and cross them off a list.

Maybe Cinecitta for the 8 and 10 y/o's?? The museum part has some interactive items that could be fun for kids and the way the indoor and outdoor sets are managed is interesting. It is a walking tour of the lots, so not sure about the 2 y/o. We had a fantastic lunch at the Meo Pinelli restaurant located at the Subaugusta Metro (one stop away from the Cinecitta stop). There is also an aqueduct park across from Cinecitta, but, again, lots of walking to go through.

Hi there, We travel to Italy with kids too. We stayed in Trastevere also. I wanted to recommend Santa Cecilia church. It is a lovely stroll, passing some non touristy streets and lanes. The church itself is beautiful, but what is great, is at the back, there are some underground ancient ruins. You enter for a small fee ( a nun watches over the door) and see some amazing mosaics and tiled rooms. Well worth it, and not on the tourist trail. Be prepared though, it has some odd opening hours (closing for the afternoon siesta etc) so be prepared to wait, or come back later. We loved staying in Trastevere, great choice!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina