• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Rovereto in early September

avvocato

10+ Posts
I am planning on spending 4-6 nights there as a central location for part of my tour of World War 1 areas where my father served. Rovereto looks good as a base because there are roads that lead to those places specifically Brentonico & Mt Giovo, Monte Altissimo and perhaps also the Vallarsa (Leno Valley), i.e. access to Mt Zugna or Passo Buole.
How are the mountain roads (e.g. la strada provinciale 89) and are there access points along them where I can park to do some non-challenging trekking (access from the roads onto, for example, Mt. Altissimo and the Vallarsa - Sentiero della Pace).
Also would like suggestions for things to do not related to my WW1 plans, e.g. day trips to north Lake Garda and/or perhaps Trento or something else I may be missing in the area. Thanks.

Last edited:
For an item of general interest, would suggest a visit to Bolzano and the small museum dedicated to Otzi (the "Tyrolean Iceman").

If you are willing to make a longer drive, the WW I cemetery at Redipuglia is very moving and there is a small historical area around the site for walking through displays.

I'm quite familiar with that area (I actually come from a neighbouring area) and I would say that Strada Provinciale 89 is doable, but not really the best. Vallarsa is a wild and shadowy valley and the road is kind of overhanging...years ago I had to go to Trento often (coming from the province of Vicenza) and I used to opt for another way which was kind of less intimidating. Obviously, if you are looking for WWI stuff, it's the right choice, but yeah, just be prepared.

I've never done Il Sentiero della Pace and I should actually ask people about parking...I will let you know if you want.

As for WW1 related stuff in the neighbourhood, I would really recommend you not to miss Mount Pasubio (the Ossuary + Forte Maso in Valli del Pasubio) and if you feel like it, there is a famous hiking trail which is demanding and overhanging, but that's unique in its genre: it's the Road of the 52 Tunnels. Hiking trails which are less demanding are those belonging to the Ecomuseo Vicentino, like, for example, the Sentiero Storico di Campogrosso ( the post is in Italian, but you can see the pics that can give you an idea). Also the Altopiano (Plateau) of Asiago has lots of stuff related to WW1, as it was a frontline, but I don't know if you planning to explore that area. Really worth it, though.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina