• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Sardinia & Rome in September

Doug Phillips

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Corsica in 2012, Crete in 2013 and Sardinia in 2015 - my version of "island hopping"

Over the past few weeks I have been planning our itinerary. Sardinia was the main focus, but since we were connecting in Rome, I have included a short visit - only 3 days - figure our money will hold out that long. Everything is booked, most of it is already paid for.

We are leaving mid-September, returning in the first week of October, travelling with another couple.

1. Fly from Ottawa to Rome.
2. Fly from Rome to Alghero, on Sardinia.
3. Stay the first week in a villa near Alghero, rent a car (Europcar through AutoEurope) & take day trips around the north & west of the island.
4. Two nights in the interior in an agriturismo overlooking Lago Cedrino
5. Three nights in a hotel in Cala Gonome, on the eastern side of the island.
6. One night at a B&B in the vicinity of the Alghero airport.
7. Early morning flight to Rome.
8. Three nights in a hotel in the vicinity of the Piazza Navona.
9. Return home to Canada

Sounds like a good trip. I would like to know if you can swim in the sea at that time of the year - probably you can.

Corsica and Crete are on my list of places to go soon! Have you been to Sicily? That could be your next island.

Well, I was swimming on Corsica a couple of weeks later, back in 2012 & I was in the water every day on Crete the next year around the same time. I'm actually thinking of packing my snorkeling gear this year.

We enjoyed both Corsica & Crete, probably Crete a bit more because we visited Corsica at the end of the season - many restaurants & some sea excursions were already closed. And Chania was more appealing than any place we stayed on Corsica. Plus Crete was a great bargain - probably still is. I'm not knocking Corsica; after all, it's part of France & the birthplace of Napoleon & has some stunning scenery. And Dorothy Carrington wrote a great book about Corsica (Granite Island), which added to my enjoyment.

Sicily hasn't held much appeal so far - but that might change. I think I would return to Crete, or visit some additional Greek islands, before going to Sicily.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina