• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Seville Restaurants

Penn251

100+ Posts
We will be in Seville for 5 weeks starting January 10. Any restaurant recommendations? Since we will be there for a long bit, it would be good to hear about a wide-range of possibilities and experiences.

We will spend a night or two in Granada and Antequera also, so any thoughts there would be good as well (but our main focus is Seville).

Thanks for any help.

Hi:
You're in luck. The guardian just had an article regarding Granada: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...nada-spain-alhambra-tapas-flamenco-street-art .
In Antequera the custodian at the dolmen suggested the Venta El Arenal just north of there across the highway. It's nothing special but the food was homemade and tasty and service friendly. If you are visiting El Torcal park, I suggest a picnic lunch .
In Seville we grazed at various tapas bars and found that suited us well. However, with 5 weeks there I also would like somewhere more substantial. As a suggestion avoid the restaurants around the University where quantity trumped quality

Two tapas bars we really liked in Sevilla were Vineria San Telmo (very busy, try to reserve in advance) and Catalina Bar de Tapas which is on the same block.

I can't recommend a single formal restaurant because on our two visits to Seville we've never sat in one. We adore tapas-hopping, and Seville is made for this. The Alameda de Hercules is tapas central. Wander round and see what takes your fancy. We liked a traditional little place called Casa Paco for classic tapas at reasonable prices. Considerably more expensive but excellent: El Disparate. You might not think so to look at it, but it has a great roof terrace where you can drink sundowners while watching the buzz on the massive square.

We also liked the Dos de Mayo (off the Alameda) -- a large, buzzy place with a wide variety of tapas. If you like jazz, don't miss Cafe Naima, also just off the Alameda. No food here, but regular local jazz bands; get there early if you want a seat, as it's small. Finally, Las Golondrinas, in Triana across the river, is a real classic among locals and tourists alike.

Not for everyone: we loved the shabby, sawdust-floored Galeria/Taberna Anima for its unusual musical entertainment and the feeling we'd found a secret place (I'm sure it isn't really!).

Thanks for the tips. We will report back after our trip and let you all know what culinary delights we found.

I'd also add that our AirBnB host (a tour guide) highly recommended both the Azotea and Eslava (as recommended by Azahar). In the few days we had we didn't make it to either -- far too crowded, long waiting lists -- but they are definitely worth a try.

Just came back from 12 days in Seville.
I would:
1. Go to every eatery recommended by Veronica.
2. The tapas bars I liked - some revisits, other new - are
- VIneriai San Telmo
- La Taberna (the one on calle Gamazo 8)
- Casa Morales
- Casa Moreno
- Bodeguita Romero
- Blanca Paloma.
All of these tapas bars are in the Arenal, except for VIneria St Telmo, a gem in the middle tourist central, and Bianca Paloma, in the ultra-funky Triana.

To love Seville is to love its frenzy. I was born in an Asian mega-city, and there are moments when Seville overwhelms me.
I love the Seville people. They think you're one of them. Once in Casa Morales a young man told me I was doing things wrong because I was not yelling: "here you have to yell!" "I thought I WAS yelling." "You're not yelling like a Sevillano." LOL.
This frenzy is carried over to the tapas bars. At 1pm (or 8pm) you can find a table and get your orders heard byt he waiter. 20 minutes it's all over. The restaurant is like the back stage of a eavy metal band.
And it's uproarious fun.

To avoid queueuing
- or the Alcazar, reserve on line.
- for the Giralda church, don't buy your ticket there. You'd wait hours. Go to the nearby "sister" Salvador church where you can get a combo ticket. No queue. Then you come back to the Giralda and waltz right in.

Some of the less visited gems of Seville are the private palaces that are now open for visits: like
- Palacio de la Duenas
- Casa des Palatos.
These private homes give you a very strong feel about how a certain Seville life was lived.

If you must visit one shop in the beautiful and over-visited Santa Cruz, make it Arjé (the one on Passaje de Andreu, 2), an exquisite shop with non-touristy stuff by local artisans. Don't look at those big scarves-shawls withuse Seville ceramic tile pattern. If you look, you're going to want to own one.
On the same small street is the very charming café Salt & Sugar. After you place your order, get out of the tiny café and go next door (turn left) back into the building into the sumptuous courtyard where tables are set up, where you wait for your wonderful pastries and coffee.

Last edited:
Totally agree about the frenzy! I'm not a city person generally, but I love the happy buzz of Seville at all hours of the day and night (except Monday morning). Our AirBnB host gave us that excellent tip about buying the combo ticket -- we whizzed straight past the lines.

I have a hankering to go back to Seville. I think it will happen before we leave here (currently in Almuñecar).

So great to get more responses. We are busy eating our way through Seville (taking advantage of your suggestions), while soaking in the everyday life here. A great city. We are staying near the Feria market so lots of fresh food and the Almeda right at hand. Another 4 weeks to go...we are happy.

Sounds wonderful
We were staying in a riverfront apartment next to the Triana market.
If ever you see Chuleta de Burgos (Burgos suckling lamb chop) in the market, try some. It's the tenderest lamb and not fat. There's no preparation to it. Just fresh fry with some herbs.
I love Seville too. since you are staying a while, Cordoba can be a very user-friendly day trip. Its Jewish quarter is wonderful to explore. And the Mezquita ! Every time I visit it, I feel privileged.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina