• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Shoes! Comfy, travel-friendly, for women, for men...

chachalaca

100+ Posts
I will start! These are women's sandals...

We leave Monday and I have a pair of Finn Comfort Gomera's in black http://www.zappos.com/p/finn-comfort-gomera-82562-black-leather/product/7760542/color/72 which I've worn to school (teaching on cement floors) all Spring. The minute I put them on in the shop my thought was "I could walk for months in these shoes". I have plantar fasciitis and typically wear orthotics, although with these I don't have to. They are pricey, but come with all kinds of guarantees, a mailback envelope for refurbishing, have replaceable footbeds and are incredibly comfortable and adjustable).

My second pair are Taos Trulies in olive http://www.zappos.com/p/taos-footwear-trulie-camel/product/8282685/color/1430 which are equally as comfortable! I bought these last summer and have also been wearing them to work. I'm shocked by the natural comfort of these sandals...like I might wear them to bed, they're so comfortable!

These will be my primary shoes for the entire 6 weeks (I have a Keen water shoe that I'll use at beaches or beach walking). I will report back in August.

Anyone else? New discoveries?

(Admin fixed second link.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in Paris, and have found my L'Amour des Pieds "Bane" to be great! I've been averaging around 8 miles each day, but walked 12 yesterday. The heat was in the high 90's until yesterday. Sold at Nordstrom. Not all shoes from that brand are as comfy, so one must try them on. Due to the hot temps, I've been rubbing baby powder on my feet and that's helped so much, since I don't wear socks with these shoes.

My Munro America sandals, that were well broken-in, have been a huge disappointment as the leather straps didn't handle swelling caused by heat.

Sorry that I don't have the links. I'm on my iPhone on a slow wifi.

(Admin added one link, couldn't find the other.)

As a career electrician out of Chicago, who has worn heavy steel toed boots his whole life, I needed to find comfortable walking shoes once we started traveling.

I've tried a variety of slip on shoes, but they never seemed to have the arch support or cushion needed for the amount of walking one does on a European vacation (We normally walk 6 to 7 miles a day, sometimes more)

What has worked out best for me, is going to Brooks Running Shoes https://www.brooksrunning.com/ and selecting their latest running shoe, normally around $150 usd. When you think about it, they are made to cushion hard impact and have good arch support. They seem to last me about 2 years.

As a long time hiker and traveller, I have from necessity had to pay attention to footwear and changes in the industry over time. In hiking for example, gone are the days of heavy, stiff, all leather boots weighing 5lbs./pair or more. Today, lightweight hiking boots and shoes that require no real 'break-in' period are the norm.

Walking on streets is different however from walking off-pavement. Walking on pavement is much harder on your feet than on a mountain trail. My favourite hiking shoes give me sore feet if worn much on pavement. So my point is that you have to suit the shoe to the walking surface you are going to spend most of your time on.

I've also found that there is no such thing as the 'right' walking shoe for everyone. Our feet are all different and what works well for one person can cripple someone else within a day. So in a sense chachalaca, there is little point in anyone trying to recommend any specific shoe to anyone else.

What we can do however is outline some basic principles like pay attention to function over fashion, not the other way around which is probably the most common mistake many make. 'I like the look of it' should not come first. It doesn't mean you should buy something ugly but it shouldn't be the primary factor.

The next basic I would say is to never buy a new pair of shoes just before you go on vacation. Also common I think. The only way to know how a pair of shoes will serve you is to walk in them and find out. Most people do not walk as much at home as they do on vacation. So it isn't enough to just walk from the parking lot to a shop in the mall a few times. You should take as long a walk at home in shoes you plan to take on your travels as you are likely to walk when on your travels. If the Brooks shoes aap519 bought are good for 6-7 miles of walking in Chicago, then they'll work in Paris or wherever just as well.

My issue with those is that running shoes look like running shoes. Yes, I'm now seemingly contradicting my own comment about function over fashion. But as I said, function is first, it doesn't mean you have to ignore fashion. So not wanting to have to pack more shoes and therefore more weight, I would try to find a shoe that is as comfortable to wear all day but perhaps looks a bit better in say an upmarket restaurant setting or something than a running shoe. Function and fashion. Also, running shoes are designed for running, not walking.

As a man, I now wear these for city walking: http://www.kinderschuhe.com/en-LI/legero-gore-tex-topino-men-slip-on-shoe-brown-java
They also have the advantage of being waterproof. I can walk all day in a city in the rain in them. I happen to really dislike the look of running shoes on both men and women for anything other than running. I don't even own a pair.

For women, sandals such as the Finn pair you linked (on both links) are another function without fashion choice in my opinion. I would much prefer to see my wife in Cameron's choice of shoe. https://lamourdespieds.com/#!/product/BANE-KSGRY/ Your choice does have function and may be very comfortable for you but the fashion end suffers. There may be a better choice that suits both.

I can't find a picture of my wife's current favourite by Remonte but they are something like these ones: https://www.rieker.co.uk/remonte-la...monte-d1902-33-ladies-red-slip-on-shoes-p5163 Only the leather is perforated for coolness. I tell her they are useless in the rain so mine are better. ;)

Remonte and the sister company Reiker are her go to shoe makers for travel. Which brings me to a personal belief re 'city shoes'. Both my wife's choices and my own Legero choice are European makes. Reiker began in Germany (now headquartered in Switzerland) and Legero are Austrian. I think their cultural backgrounds result in different priorities in their shoes. People who live and work in areas with a lot of differences in elevation (the Alps) and street surfaces etc. tend to pay more attention to the comfort of shoes for walking (which they also tend to do more of than N. Americans) as well as wanting them to look good. They put function first and I think that is reflected in what their shoe manufacturers produce. Read what Reiker says they design for: https://www.rieker.co.uk/the-product-i28

I believe that explains why every great walking shoe I have ever owned was German, Swiss, Austrian, Italian and so were all the best hiking boots/shoes I have owned. I am tempted with that thought in mind to say stay away from any shoes made by a N. American manufacturer. They may all be made in Vietnam or wherever regardless of where the manufacturer is from but how they are designed differs.

So in a sense chachalaca, there is little point in anyone trying to recommend any specific shoe to anyone else.

Then how do we get to talk about shoes? I like seeing the examples of what people wear.

Your choice does have function and may be very comfortable for you but the fashion end suffers.

!!!! Those shoes look very nice and are a popular style in the UK and Europe!

I did our one week trip in light weight Merrells All Out Blaze Aero Sport (American) but my mistake was wearing thin socks and I ended up with a blister. (We have walked over 650 miles this year and this is my first blister!) We did a lot of walking, but not much of it was on trails so in my mind it wasn't real walking and I did not put on my hiking shoes (my wonderful Oboz Emerald Peak Trail Walk (American) - yikes, they don't make that shoe any more!) and socks. It was too hot to wear my thick socks.

We were in an outdoorsy area so everyone was wearing walking sandals or running shoes. Lots of Europeans wear running shoes (or as they say in the UK, trainers).

There is a long tradition of sharing shoe and purse suggestions among the women in this community, some of the longest running threads on the old slowtrav site. I hope we can continue that without put downs. I like Chacalaca's choices as well. I'm thinking about ordering those Taos sandals in blue to see how they fit. I may need to order the Finn as well...

Are all of those straps adjustable on the Finn Comfort, Chacalaca?

Arc'teryx is a high end hiking goods company. I just bought their approach walking shoe in black and while it looks boring in the photo, in reality it is a good looking shoe. It comes in my large size (US 10.5) and is narrower than the Merrells I usually wear which fits better. I haven't given them a good test yet but so far I am happy.

I've worn merrells for years because they make my size (this is a real problem in the UK where 8 is frequently the largest and I am 8.5) but they have changed their styles and quality lately.

I will start! These are women's sandals...

We leave Monday and I have a pair of Finn Comfort Gomera's in black http://www.zappos.com/p/finn-comfort-gomera-82562-black-leather/product/7760542/color/72 which I've worn to school (teaching on cement floors) all Spring. The minute I put them on in the shop my thought was "I could walk for months in these shoes". I have plantar fasciitis and typically wear orthotics, although with these I don't have to. They are pricey, but come with all kinds of guarantees, a mailback envelope for refurbishing, have replaceable footbeds and are incredibly comfortable and adjustable).

My second pair are Taos Trulies in olive http://www.zappos.com/p/taos-footwear-trulie-camel/product/8282685/color/1430 which are equally as comfortable! I bought these last summer and have also been wearing them to work. I'm shocked by the natural comfort of these sandals...like I might wear them to bed, they're so comfortable!

These will be my primary shoes for the entire 6 weeks (I have a Keen water shoe that I'll use at beaches or beach walking). I will report back in August.

Anyone else? New discoveries?

(Admin fixed second link.)
I love my Finn's. They are red and don't have the back strap. Just slip on and go. I admit they are abit clunky looking. I made the mistake when first purchased of going for a long walk in humid heat and developed blisters. I was devastated as this had never happened before but once broken they've been great.

My Finns look like this but are red. It is the only colour I've seen. I also have a pair of Birkenstock Mayari sandals in black. Dare I say it but I find these quite fashionable. I wear them a lot. I took them on my 3 month trip to NZ and Australia. Previous to this purchase, I hadn't worn Birkenstocks in years but I'm back in the fold:) and find them reasonably priced.

I also have a pair of grey, gortex Merrills I quite like. They are good for cooler weather as are heavier and then there are my Oboz. Suggested by Pauline and the same as hers. They are my go to walking shoes. My Lowes hiking boots I bought a couple of years ago sadly sit on the shelf.

Pauline your latest shoe purchase looks lovely but am surprised they weren't Oboz as you love them.

I love Cameron's shoe choices but I'm amazed at how much walking she does in them. They look too delicate for 12 miles of city walking.

I like my Naot's Kayla, http://www.zappos.com/p/naot-footwear-kayla-black-matte-leather/product/7128308/color/4566

and I really like these, http://www.zappos.com/p/ecco-soft-vii-sneaker-trooper-cow-nubuck/product/8550690/color/667203. They have a surprising amount of arch support, something "sneakers" don't usually have.
I have had many pairs of Naot over the years and brought back several from Israel when I visited there 6 years ago. They are very fashionable to me but also very expensive. They never go on sale!!

Sorry ladies, I didn't mean to upset your shoe talk fun. I took it as a serious question about how to pick shoes for walking in.

I love seeing the shoe choices! Often someone from this community suggests a shoe or brand that works perfectly for ME. I do not care if my husband would prefer to see me in something more fashionable! I'm pretty sure my husband would prefer to travel with a woman whose feet are happy!

Additionally, Sojourner, I didn't ask "Do you all LIKE the style of my shoe?". I don't need other traveler's approval on my shoe or clothing choice - too old, too well-travelled to care! I'd rather my fellow travelers think "God, those shoes are ugly", than to miss out on intimate experiences because my feel hurt or the "pretty shoes" don't fare well up the dirt trail to get to the restaurant or church. (And honestly, calling it our "shoe talk fun" sounds rather condescending...)

This community, like the one before on Slowtravel, is welcoming and open-minded - even when it comes to ugly shoes! When another one of us posts a shoe you don't care for, just scroll on by.

Cameron, you always have great shoes! I don't think my foot would be happy in that "Banes" for as long as you walk! About the Munro...I know what you mean when you have a well broken-in pair that disappoint...happened to me last trip.

Pauline, I like the Acrux! They don't look like hiking shoes, yet are...and super light-weight, are they really?

Chris, yes, the Finn's are adjustable at three points (heel, fastening strap and across the toes). I've seen that Kayla before and wondered how comfortable it is. It looks like there are no adjusting straps, is that right?

Jan, you're right! Naot on sale? Not going to happen (however I found a small shoe shop nearby that DOES reduce discontinued styles. It's great if they have my size, sad when they don't). That Paris shoe is on my "wish list"! I love that you can replace the footbeds in Naot shoes.

Lisa, I have never seen that Birkenstock, Mayari. I love it! No back strap though, right? I tend to fall out of my shoes w/out a back strap

Sojourner, I like the Reiker your wife wears but I don't care for Maryjane style - I get sweaty feet. I saw a woman with a similar pair where the leather had a punched design (ventilation!) and I asked her what they were I liked them so much. And the daily shoe you wear look great, the fact that they're waterproof is a bonus.

I often learn about new-to-me brands/styles here...I love that!

Laura

Laura, the Kayla ankle strap is adjustable. I ordered them from Zappos and was surprised that the two toe straps leave plenty of room for my wide feet. I will usually not wear them if know I'm going to be walking on slippery surfaces or up and down hill a lot because the straps have stretched a bit and let my foot slide around more than I'd like.

Laura et al,
It's funny about feet or rather heels. One would think a strap around the back would make the sandal stay on and a strapless one roll off. But it's just the opposite with me. Perhaps, it's how the sandal is designed. I think the footbed in both the Birkenstock and Finn sandals are deep enough and tight enough around the front that my feet stay snug. Whereas, as I said above, the strap around my heel constantly slide down no matter how tightly they it is cinched. Go figure. Maybe I have unusually shaped heels:)

Pauline your latest shoe purchase looks lovely but am surprised they weren't Oboz as you love them.

They don't have a more casual look shoe and I can't find any of them in my size now! They are carried by two outdoor retail shops in the UK (Rohan, Millets) but neither carry larger than women's UK 8. The pair that I love I found on Amazon but now I don't find any. Maybe when the fall shoes come out - or maybe I will order from the US.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina