• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Scotland Skail House, Orkney

Skaill is Old Norse meaning ‘hall’ and the house overlooks the neolithic site of Skara Brae. Entry is included in the admission ticket

P9130958.jpg


After the execution of Patrick Stewart, 2nd Earl of Orkney for treason in 1615, the lands were given to the George Graham, Bishop of Orkney. He built a manor house and outbuildings here in 1620, and his bed can still be seen in the house. His son became the first Laird and the property was handed down through the family until the 12th Laird.

The 7th Laird, William Watt was resposible for the first excavations of Skara Brae when it was exposed after a major storm in 1850.

Over the years, the house has been added to with two free standing wings around a courtyard, becoming the largest privately owned estate in Orkney. The house is surrounded by terraced gardens and also a small sunken garden.

P9130961 copy.jpg


The house was last lived in in 1991 and, after careful restoration work, was opened to the public in 1997. It is very much the family home as it was in the 1950s, displaying items collected by the family.

Entry is through the back of the house into the reception area, which was the Butler’s pantry. The Kitchen is now the shop. There is a one way system through the downstairs rooms with information boards in each of them

P9130961 copy 2.jpg


This leads into the DINING ROOM which is in the oldest part of the house and originally housed the personal museum from the 9th Laird’s excavations of Skara Brae. These are now in the National Museum of Antiquities in Edinburgh.

The table is set out as it was for the Visit of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother in 1983.

P9130963.jpg


In the large display cabinet is part of Captain Cook’s dinner service. This is thought to have come to the house in 1780 when the Resolution and Discovery were returning after the death of Captain Cook in Hawaii. The ships anchored in Stromness, their first port of call. It was customary for visiting ships to pay tribute to the local laird.

P9130966.jpg


Next to it is the LIBRARY which was converted from two small bedrooms by the 11th Laird. It is a comfortable room.

P9130971.jpg


P9130970.jpg


The MAIN HALL would originally have been entered through the front door which could be bolted and locked against unwanted visitors. It contains the Russian collection from 11th Laird, who was sent to Russian Front to fight with White Russians on behalf of Tsar. He captured a Bolshevik flag at Murmansk which he brought back, and this is displayed in hallway along with photos, military regalia icons and diaries. The impressive carved oak cabinet is C16th and is thought to be made out of wood from the the Spanish Galleon El Gran Grifón which was wrecked off Fair Isle.

P9130975.jpg


The lovely wood staircase leads up to the first floor with the drawing room.

P9130973.jpg


The round circular table in the DRAWING ROOM was used by the Laird to keep account of rent moneys due and paid. The top could be turned to locate the letter marked drawer containing the tenant’s paperwork.

P9130978.jpg


P9130979.jpg


The display cabinet contains Victorian Staffordshire figures which were cheaply produced and very popular.

P9130981.jpg


On the wall outside are two embroidered gentleman’s waistcoats dating from the late C18th. One is a lot smaller as it became fashionable for men to appear to have a slim figure. Many needed to wear a corset to achieve the desired look...

P9130982.jpg


P9130984.jpg


Next to the drawing room is MRS SCARTH’S BEDROOM, complete with its pink bathroom suite, so fashionable in the 1960s. She was the second wife of the 11th Laird and was widowed in 1972. She continued to live at Skaill House by herself until 1991. She was very protective of the house and rarely left the building. In her later years she lived almost entirely in this room, and it is virtually as she left it. Seven Japanese paintings and clothes from her wardrobe on display, as well as personal items.

P9130989.jpg


P9130990.jpg


In the opposite corner is the BISHOP’s ROOM, containing Bishop Graham’s four poster bed.

P9130993.jpg


In a display cabinet is a model of St Magnus Cathedral made by a local stonemason

P9131004.jpg


Also on display are family seals and an ink stand.

P9131005.jpg


P9131006.jpg


In the opposite corer is the EXHIBITION ROOM which has information boards about the discovery of Skara Brae as well as the excavation of a Viking long house near St Peter’s Kirk and a medieval cemetery discovered in the grounds of Skail House.

There is a small display of some of the artefacts found during the1924 excavation of Skara Brae

P9130999.jpg


P9130998.jpg


The tour finishes down the stairs, past the gun room and out of the house.

In many ways there isn’t a lot to see in the house but it is the only large house to be open to visitors on Orkney. It has an interesting history with its links to the first real excavation of Skara Brae.

website
 
Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Ancestral Journeys by Bryan Schneider
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis

Back
Top