• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Southeastern England for 11 Nights

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
The big plan is this:
  • We'll arrive in Southampton on May 15, 2018.
  • Rent a car and drive to a vacation rental for 11 nights - May 15 is a Tuesday, and we would depart on a Saturday, which I assume is a preferable day for changing.
  • It's just mid-May, so I don't expect any of the beach towns to be suitable for sunbathing or swimming, but if it's not raining or blowing, walking on the beaches and seeing Brighton and Eastbourne and what ever other cute towns are there would be fine with me.
  • I assume there will be enough castles, historic houses, beautiful gardens and occasional oddities to give us several days worth of day trips, in addition to the cities mentioned.
  • Is THIS cottage too small for 11 nights? The owners would be well advised to clear out some of the clutter! But the price and location seem good - so many cottages are barn conversions so they'er out in the country. I want to be in a small village. I want the experience we had in Chipping Campden in the summer of 2015, but I don't think it's possible!
  • Departing on a Saturday to drive to our next rental in Yorkshire.
Does renting for 11 nights in this location make sense, in order to get us to a Saturday changover for our 2 week Yorkshire stay? Or should we stay the full 2 weeks in SE England and shorten Yorkshire to 11 nights?

Because it will only be mid May, perhaps we could stay in Brighton or Eastbourne, or another seaside resort town, before the prices jump and they get packed. Or not?

Last edited:
Don't get discouraged! I have felt the same way at times when planning a trip, but you just have to push through. I am of no help to you, as I have not been to these areas. But others have and are giving you great advice.

Thanks, I'm really discouraged, and still all over the map - literally AND figuratively! I still need to decide on so many things and I feel like I don't have the information I need to make those decisions!!!

• We arrive in Southampton on May 5, a Tuesday. How long should we allot for our stay in the SE part of England? We may or may not be able to do any walking, but we can visit the seaside towns, any castles and gardens in the area - there have to be several, right? Is 2 weeks too long? Staying 11 nights instead of 2 weeks allows us to change-over on Saturday - is that a 'typical' changeover day in England?
  • Should we base somewhere around Lewes? Or should we try to stay closer to the coast? So far my choices are limited. I have found some apartments in (smaller) seaside towns, which might be nice, but theoretically I want something in a small village - but it probably won't happen.
Until I figure out the answers to these questions I really can't move on to the next stay....and which I'm having doubts about....again......aarrgghh!!!!

Here's a farmstay place, so not sure how far it is to pubs, shops etc. but it does put you incredibly close to the English Farm Cider Centre / Middle Farm which used to be a favourite of mine for picking up cheeses, cider, fruit & veg etc. etc. when living in Brighton, and apparently very good cream teas as well.
https://www.caburncottages.co.uk/location/

Another in Alfriston, which is a lovely place with great local walks
http://www.flintcottagesussex.co.uk/sussex.asp

This one a bit fancier, near Hailsham (a rural place on the Kent/Sussex border)
http://pekesmanor.co.uk/

We've also had good experiences with Alisdair Sawdays aka Special places to stay. Often quirky places, a perfect antidote if you dislike chain hotels set up for predictable business travel. They have a few self catering places to browse.
https://www.sawdays.co.uk/find#!filter=Self-catering&zoom=9&display=map&lng=-0.19&lat=50.97&hide=pub

I'd personally choose Rottingdean over Bognor Regis, the former an almost oddly placed 'conservation village' very close to the sprawling Brighton. I used to play pitch and putt (mini-golf) up there in the late 1980s. Bognor Regis is a long established seaside resort, including a large Butlins holiday camp. There are some nice walks up the coast past Felpham (once you're past said Holiday Camp) towards Middleton. I used to stay with an old girlfriend in Felpham, about 100 yards from the water's edge. Bognor never appealed much but I did like the coastal walks and Middelton was nice.

The location of Rottingdean is very good for exploring eastwards, and indeed North, as you can go via Falmer to hit the A277. Brighton has much to appeal, from the Indian styled Royal Palace to a stroll along the single remaining Pier, through shopping in the tourist focused Lanes or the more locals focused North Laines with some wonderfully eclectic shops. The museum attached to the library is good - indeed when I needed a change of scenery when studying I would alternate between the library and the museum café. Lots of cutting edge music, trends and a generally avant-garde feel to the place, but also a feeling it can be a bit grimey / overly populated in places. Straight up Dyke road takes you to Devil's Dyke for some very good walking (I used to play golf on a nearby course, but also went up there to get back in touch with nature) and one of the great quirky museums is on Dyke Road, a natural history museum that came about when the council found themselves in possession of a large amount of stuffed animals shot by an over-enthusiastic hunter/explorer. This museum was a good solution to an uncomfortable situation. Eating can be very good, and look locally for views on what is good / not good.

Thanks Ian! I thought that Bognor Regis might be a fun place to stay - sort of a retro beach town, but I don't think you'd agree with me. Could you explain further?

The Rottingdean locations looks promising, but are you also suggesting we consider staying in Brighton? Again, I don't mind the idea, but feared that Brighton would be too big and commercial. I did see one place in Hove, which prides itself on NOT being Brighton, but the rental was an apartment and parking was an issue.

Last edited:
Hi Art & Barb
Definitely stay in Rottingdean rather than Brighton. Brighton won't give you any feeling of 'settling into the village', indeed Brighton is both supremely tolerant, yet at the same time utterly aloof, the two things very much connected. In 4-5 years living there I never felt part of a social network. I presume that part of Rottingdean hasn't changed much over the years, due to the conservation zone protection. It was always a little shocking in it's little village rural feel, when all around is different. Definitely worth taking a streetview Google map look to get a feel for it - it really was very pretty back in the late 1980s and I don't expect it to have changed.

Bognor - different strokes for different folks :cool: If you see anywhere near Middleton, I'd be more enthusiastic, as it's smaller, cosier and hence more 'on theme' for your plans. That said, if there is no other beach location in your trip, I'm a firm believer in seeking diversity in holidays so each leg is memorable and 'wakes you up' to its different charms. So that would make it a good choice.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina