• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Spectacular scenery in the UK / Ireland ?

stav

10+ Posts
Hi,

Thinking of spending a month in the UK / Ireland in September.
Interested mainly in nature and spectacular scenery for day hikes, a few castles, natural hot springs in nature (not inside a building). Travelling with a car.
From pictures places that look interesting are the isle of Skye, , lake district, Glencoe, so planning on spending some time there depending on the midges situation.
Also thought of Orkney and/or Shetland.
Where else would you suggest going to experience amazing landscapes ? Anywhere in the UK / Ireland is fine.

Thanks

Where to begin..... You should be clear of midges by September. It is a good time to visit as schools are back and places should be a bit quieter. Weather is usually good and you still get long days , especially the further west or north you go. I think you may be struggling to find any natural hot springs and I can't think of any. You need Iceland for these!!

I've always found Skye over rated and touristy, although the Cuillins are stunning. This is serious walking country. You will get similar scenery elsewhere in Scotland, and I see you have also identified Glen Coe. Not only has this god scenery there is also the historical side with the story of the Glen Coe Massacre. I prefer Mull, which is gradualluy being discovered and taking over from Skye in the popularity stakes. If you do get to Mull, don't miss Iona.

Orkney and Shetland are wonderful, and with the strong Norse influence are very different to the rest of the UK. Orkney is the best place for ancient remains.

How about the Isle of Man? (We were there in August and there were no midges!) It is well off the usual tourist itinereary but can be summed up as a microcosm of the UK. It has everything from mountains to beaches, ruined castles as well as steam railway, electric tram and horse trams! There are also some excellent walks. You could easily spend a week there.

There is also North Wales with dramatic scenery with Snowdonia. It is also packed with ruined castles - Caernarfon, Conwy, Beaumaris, Harlech are the best. Conwy is a walled town and Plas Mawr is a wonderful example of an Elizabthan Town House. Penrhyn Castle is stunning - a wealthy Victorian take on a mediaeval castle.

This is the best website for walks.

If you haven't already found this one, it is the best place to start for information for Scotland once you have decided what areas you want to visit. start with the clickable map and select the area you are interested in. Then click for the information pages with good photos and information.

Wow, thank you Eleanor for taking the time to share this fantastic information.

I'll start looking up the places and websites you suggested.

Coast, mountains, lochs and islands of Scotland certainly have plenty that fits the bill, and the variety that makes it more memorable.

For simplicity, if looking for another location, why not the North of England, be that Lake district, Northumberland, or Yorkshire Dales, or North York Moors and coast (providing a nice contrast in themselves)

For a month I'd be tempted by (say) 10 days in Yorkshire and 20 in Scotland, but maybe with a one-nighter en-route (say Berwick on Tweed), Durham also a classy and picturesque city.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina