• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Speed cameras in France

Kathy

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
The French government is pursuing more aggressive approaches to reducing motor accidents and deaths. During our recent six week stay in Provence, we noticed several additional speed cameras... and unfortunately, my husband and I both received speeding tickets. We should have known better, since we drive these roads often and there's always a sign about a kilometer before the camera giving you a heads-up that speed is controlled. You'll be ticketed if you are going just 3 km over the posted limit, and since limits can change on the same road for various reasons, it's really important to pay attention to the speed limits and the locations of cameras. In some areas there are also electronic signs posting your speed.

We also noticed more gendarmes out on the road this last trip. They are continuing to focus on drivers under the influence, especially young people. I also read recently that they are banning the use of headphones by drivers beginning July 1. Also, everyone should be aware that it is against the law to talk on a mobile phone while driving. If I get a call while driving, I pass the phone to my front-seat passenger... or pull over to take the call.

Our tickets were for 45 euro each, and I assume our contact info was passed on by the car rental company. The French government makes it very easy to pay... you can pay online with a Visa or MasterCard and even use an English-language version of their site.

We are headed back to France on Monday for 6-1/2 weeks in the Dordogne and Alsace. We definitely will be paying close attention to the speed limits and cameras. There are lots more things I'd rather spend 45 euro on.

Thanks for this reminder, Kathy. Our French friends who live near Bergerac told us that the favorite time for stops by the gendarmes looking for DUIs is Sunday afternoon (after the traditional Sunday dinner) -- and remember that they don't need probable cause for the stop, and the legal blood alcohol content is 0.05 (compared to 0.08 in the U.S.).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina