• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Stockbridge, Edinburgh

sharonov

10+ Posts
We've decided to fly to Edinburgh after a week in Cornwall this September, and I'm busily searching out holiday lets. There's one in the Stockbridge section of Edinburgh that is reasonable and meets our other criteria, but I'm not sure how far that is from the Royal Mile. It looks like a cute area, but I prefer to be right in the center of things. I looked it up on a map but it was difficult to tell distances.

We stayed in a rental near Stockbridge (a bit closer to the RM-- our address was Jamaica Street) and I enjoyed it... but it was something of a hike to get to the Royal Mile. On the other hand, it was near the trail that runs along the canal, and the Botanical Garden (one of my favorite places we visited), and a branch of Peter's Yard with these amazing cardemom rolls that were possibly my favorite thing I ate all week.

One thing that I couldn't tell from google maps is that there's a slight incline as we walked up from our apartment to Princes Street, and then another steeper incline up to the Royal Mile itself, which could wear one out. But there are also some good bus lines and if you know where the nearest ones are and have a good cheat-sheet of the lines that can take you home it helps a lot.

I think in retrospect I would have preferred to stay on the end of the Royal Mile near Holyroodhouse so I could have more easily reached the nice hikes in the crags and Arthur's Seat. But that was also because I was getting overwhelmed by the gray stone everywhere in the city itself, and kept yearning for green spaces where I could go for a nice hike in the morning (my husband sleeps late).

I didn't do a trip report, but there are photos our trip here if you are interested, with comments on them to explain what's what. Some are from Stockbridge. We were there for a week, taking a day trip into the Highlands with Rabbie's and one on our own to Rosslyn Chapel (another of my highlights!): https://goo.gl/photos/D8PwNL5CH5odwFuBA

Edited to add: This was also in September, back in 2016.

We've decided to fly to Edinburgh after a week in Cornwall this September, and I'm busily searching out holiday lets. There's one in the Stockbridge section of Edinburgh that is reasonable and meets our other criteria, but I'm not sure how far that is from the Royal Mile. It looks like a cute area, but I prefer to be right in the center of things. I looked it up on a map but it was difficult to tell distances.
If you use the directions tool on Google Maps and select the walking option it will tell you how far it is and how long it will take (though as usual I would add a bit on to the time).

We stayed in a rental near Stockbridge (a bit closer to the RM-- our address was Jamaica Street) and I enjoyed it... but it was something of a hike to get to the Royal Mile. On the other hand, it was near the trail that runs along the canal, and the Botanical Garden (one of my favorite places we visited), and a branch of Peter's Yard with these amazing cardemom rolls that were possibly my favorite thing I ate all week.

One thing that I couldn't tell from google maps is that there's a slight incline as we walked up from our apartment to Princes Street, and then another steeper incline up to the Royal Mile itself, which could wear one out. But there are also some good bus lines and if you know where the nearest ones are and have a good cheat-sheet of the lines that can take you home it helps a lot.

I think in retrospect I would have preferred to stay on the end of the Royal Mile near Holyroodhouse so I could have more easily reached the nice hikes in the crags and Arthur's Seat. But that was also because I was getting overwhelmed by the gray stone everywhere in the city itself, and kept yearning for green spaces where I could go for a nice hike in the morning (my husband sleeps late).

I didn't do a trip report, but there are photos our trip here if you are interested, with comments on them to explain what's what. Some are from Stockbridge. We were there for a week, taking a day trip into the Highlands with Rabbie's and one on our own to Rosslyn Chapel (another of my highlights!): https://goo.gl/photos/D8PwNL5CH5odwFuBA

Edited to add: This was also in September, back in 2016.
Thanks so much for this information! That decide's it--we'll stay by the royal mile.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina