• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Stockholm for 1st time

profpeabody

10+ Posts
Would love to hear any suggestions for guides or sites in Stockholm. We will be there in July for 5 days and have never been to Scandinavia before so any recommendations would be appreciated.

It's probably been more than 15 years since I visited Stockholm but the Vasa Museum stands out in my memories (http://www.vasamuseet.se/en). I would definitely recommend it. We also took a multi-hour boat tour around many of the islands that took us through a number of locks - this was also very good. Sorry I can't be more specific as I didn't keep very good records of trips at this time.

I'm afraid I have no notes, as we were staying with friends to the North of Stockholm.

Random thoughts
  • Certainly taking a ferry to one or more of the islands on a nice day is a good option to have.
  • Food and drink prices are scary high, but as long as you mentally switch off to this, there is good quality all around. 5 days is short enough to de-activate the pricing filter and not get uptight about it.
  • English is fairly widely spoken
  • I recall a very enjoyable speciality tea shop that was quite central, with a wide range of teas and a pleasant place to stop. Worth looking up.
  • Cloudberry jam is a good food to consider bringing home, as it's really quite difficult to find and very tasty / different
  • A quirky local feature, is the sturdy wooden spatulas used for spreading butter. A nice idea to buy for a reminder of your stay.
  • There are 3 airports nominally called 'Stockholm' so do check which one you fly out of / into. There are the usual airport coaches to get you into the city.
  • Quite a few cobbled streets, so do wear good shoes

Thanks for the suggestions. We had a WONDERFUL time in Stockholm and will definitely return. We did take a trip out to Fjäderholmarna for the day which was lovely. The water is so clear and the woods are beautiful. The food was excellent and, as noted by others, pricey. We got a lot of use out of the Stockholm pass for getting around on boats and buses. We loved visiting Skansen. Stockholm is lovely, the air and water are so clean it is really invigorating.

We stayed (using points) at the Sheraton which was a very good location. Took the Arlanda Express train from the airport and it was a short walk from the station to the hotel. Our room wasn't ready so we took a sauna at the hotel gym which was great after a long flight.

Glad you had such good trip. Where did you end up staying?
I saw your bookmark (chocolate/zuccchini one) mentions Flying Elk and Oaxen Slip. We ate at both and loved them. We actually went to Oaxen Slip twice (both times for lunch) because it was such great setting and the food was wonderful. When you go, I highly recommend both.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina