• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Stores on the autoroutes

Ann

100+ Posts
Thanks to bad planning on my part (or maybe just bad luck), we are going to drive from CDG to La Roque-Gageac. Normally, we'd have taken the train to Brive-la-Gaillarde, but since we arrive on a Sunday, the car rental places there and also at the Brive airport are closed. And either flying into Bordeaux or taking the TGV would get us to our rental a couple of hours later than the long drive.
So, I can't remember whether the stores/shops along the autoroutes (connected to gas stations) have essential groceries like coffee, butter, etc. The next day is May 1, so we definitely have to get at least a few essentials, and I simply can't remember how well-stocked these shops are. Thanks in advance for the help.

They are more geared to food to eat on the go. You might find some basic groceries, but I wouldn't count on it. What time will you be driving? If Sunday morning, a good option is to head off the autoroute before lunchtime and find a small town to shop and have lunch (bearing in mind shops aren't open Sunday afternoon).

Alternatively could you ask the rental owner to buy a few items for you?

Thanks, Veronica. I was especially concerned since I know everything closes on Sunday afternoon. We hope to leave CDG by 10:30, so I'll probably just ask the rental owner to pick up a few items for us. It's the fourth time we've rented there and we know her fairly well, so it shouldn't be a problem. Many thanks for your response, and aloha, Ann.

Ann, I know I have bought bread and cheese, and I think maybe some type of charcuterie at stores on the autoroute -- the type of stuff you could use for a picnic. I don't know about butter or coffee though (other than coffee by the cup).

Hi Roz. If we can find bread, cheese, and some charcuterie (and some wine, of course), or ask Anne to buy some for us, maybe we'll just have a picnic on our terrace, which has a beautiful view over the village and the Dordogne. Thanks for the help, Ann

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina