• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Stresa, Mantova, Vicenza, and Bologna - ideas and restaurants

SusanSeattle

100+ Posts
I visited Bologna a couple of years ago and really enjoyed my time there. I'm now returning to Bologna for 6 days and also spending 2 to 3 days in each city of Stresa, Mantova and Vicenza. We will be there the first two weeks of May. I have some ideas of what to do in these towns, but would love any suggestions from other travelers who have been to the area. I also always love hearing restaurant, cafe, and coffee shop suggestions. I have sent mail out to ask for reservations for lunch at Hostaria Giusti in Modena and Trattoria la Rustica in Ravenna.

I had thought of doing a tour of the Palladian villas but haven't been able to find a tour that is less than 400 euros. Does anyone have suggestions of a less expensive day tour or other way to see the villas and monuments?

I'm traveling with my mom who is in her mid 70's and we are using trains to get around.

Hi Susan,

I can recommend two restaurants in Stresa (from my trip 10 years ago there, so things may have changed): Ristorante il Vicoletto and Taverna il Pappagallo.

Il Vicoletto is much fancier (and was my favorite). Il Pappagallo was more casual. The food was good though. I just checked to make sure both are still open and have linked websites for you for each. When I was there, il Pappagallo was closed on Wednesdays and Ristorante il Vicoletto was closed on Thursdays. Looking quickly at the websites, I was not seeing this current info but I am sure once in Stresa, it will be easy to find.

I have a bunch of info on my blog on Stresa that may be helpful.

Luisella Romeo had recommended Francesca Marini as a guide in Vicenza in 2015. We did her Classical Vicenza tour with a stop at the Villa Rotunda (we took a taxi there with her). The fee for the city guided tour + Rotonda was €150 (about three hours). Her full-day fee was €280 (6 hours) [again in 2015]. She recommended Ristorante al Pastello which was quite good.

Susan, thanks for the info on Stresa. I now remember your blog post & we are planning on visiting the Santa Caterina del Sasso after seeing it on your blog.

Gail, I just contacted Francesca, I hope I haven't left it too late to book a tour.

Hi Susan - I am not sure that you are in need of recommendations for Bologna as well, but I thought I'd put in a word FWIW...

We were in Bologna last October for five days (first time). We ate out twice, and a place I'd return to for dinner is Bio's Kitchen. Even though the regular produce in Italy is so good, we always like to enjoy organic wherever possible, and this restaurant is completely organic. There is a large variety of dishes and foods (at least in the evening), all we chose was excellent, and the interior is an interesting change for the eyes - high ceiling and suspended plants. There is also a menu in English, and the staff is also quite capable in this respect. In short, wholesome, delicious, and enjoyable - at least that was our impression.

Another gastronomic business that was good in our opinion is the small Eataly market/restaurant/library in the heart of the Quadrilatero. We didn't eat there, but stocked up on goodies to prepare at our accommodation, and also to take home.
https://www.eataly.net/it_it/negozi/bologna/archivio-bologna/mercato-bologna/
Not to be confused with the huge FICO Eataly complex outside of Bologna, that we didn't visit.

We went to all the markets in the city, and while they are colorful and have everything you can imagine, I think that I prefer the markets that we saw in Piemonte and Liguria - somehow the representation of the smaller producers seemed more significant in the latter.

As for the rest of the city - the short stay did not allow us to do much more than see the popular sites and soak up the city through our daily walks, although we did go the the Museo della Specola and the Museum of Geology, both in the University complex.

Joe, thanks for all the ideas. We will have an apartment so visiting the many food stores in Bologna is something I'm looking forward to. I'll add Bio's kitchen to my list.

Jan, thanks for the link to your blog. The theater looks so lovely. I've read that they have concerts every Sunday but haven't been able to find more details. I'm hoping our b&b owner can help us out with that. We are also planning on visiting Modena, so I enjoyed reading your posts about it.

Reactions: jan
Gail, Francesca was booked but she recommended another guide, Miriam, and we have just finalized tour details. For others who may be interested, Miriam is picking us up at our hotel in Vicenza, we are doing a walking tour of Vicenza and then visiting La Rotonda (transportation included). She is charging us 150 euros for 2.5 hours, any additional hours 30 euros each, plus entrance fees.

I'm glad I was able to find Miriam - I'm sure this will add so much to our time in Vicenza.

Susan i am planning to visit Vicenza in 4/2020.can you kindly forward e mail or contact info
for tour guide Miriam.Thanks for the information you forwarded about Mantova accommodation.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina