• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Switzerland in August 2017

Pauline

Forums Admin
We loved our last two trips to Switzerland and I booked us again for next summer, this time in August. This year we wanted to experience August in our new home on the Dorset coast, so we went to Switzerland in September. Well, it is a zoo here in August! A fun zoo but maybe one we can skip this year.

I booked two weeks in Lenk, in the apartment we stayed in this year - Kronenmatte. It is expensive for the two of us (2 bedroom/2 bathroom) but is worth it because it is such a fabulous place. And we really like Lenk. I can see us spending two weeks each summer there forever. When we can't hike anymore, we will just take the gondola or alpine buses up to the mountain tops and sit on a bench.

After Lenk we will spend a week in Kandersteg. We've been to Kandersteg twice before. Our first trip was late September 2000 for 1.5 weeks. The most recent trip was July 2007 for 1 week. I have a page on Day Trips about Kandersteg.

I booked this apartment - Kanderrausch. I like the balconies and the price is good for August.

On the last two Switzerland trips we spent a week in the French Alps (Samoens) and the Italian Alps (Cogne near Aosta) to see if we preferred those areas. Both areas are lovely and we had a great time, but for us nothing beats the Swiss Alps. The hiking is easier because of the availability of mountain rides (gondolas, chairlifts, buses, trains). You don't have to start each hike with 3 hours walking uphill, instead you take a 30 minute gondola, then do your walk at the high levels.

Everyone tells me we have to go to the Italian Dolomites. We haven't hiked there, and it is supposed to be the best hiking in Italy. The same for Austria - great hiking and everything is cheaper than Switzerland. Maybe we will get to those places eventually but for now I am thrilled to have a few weeks every summer in Switzerland.

I am looking forward to hiking up the Gasterntal Valley in Kandersteg again.

20070726-IMG_4558.jpg

Everything is booked now - flights to and from Geneva, Heathrow airport hotel at the start, hotel in Nyon (near Geneva) at the end, airport parking - except the car rental (prices are still high - will wait for a sale). I am rarely this organized - booked 7 months ahead!

The one time we could meet up in Switzerland and NOW you decide to book early??? Good for you, but I'm not happy for me, especially since we're planning to drive to Switzerland in July or August to visit friends outside of Zurich!

(yes, okay, I AM a little grumpier than usual, but that's my new normal)

I had to book early because August is high season and gets booked up. I will email you are dates. Meet us in Lenk! The people we rent from have a nice small hotel - Hotel Sternen.

I am hoping to get to Tuscany/Umbria earlier in the year, when you are there, so we can visit. We may stay in Spoleto again and that isn't far from where you will be.

Meeting up in Lenk sounds possible. We have to see when our friends who live in Oberdorf have room for us. It's abut a 2 hour drive from there to Lenk! It's been a loooong time since we've been to Switzerland, partly because it's so damn expensive, but we could afford a few days!

Regarding Umbria, if we have a 2 BR apt you're more than welcome to stay with us, but we won't know that for a while.
I've sent you our dates too. Here's hoping we can gtg somewhere in 2017, with lots of wine and commiserating!

We are two weeks in Lenk and one in Kandersteg. We wouldn't run out of trails in Lenk in a month or more. Kandersteg we have been to twice before, but the last time was 10 years ago - there are a few trails there that I love and want to do again.

Lenk would be more fun and Steve and I are already working out which of the walks there you would like. It is close to Gstaad/Saanen. You could drive back to Italy via Martigny and thru the St Bernard tunnel, coming out in Aosta.

Kandersteg is also beautiful, if that timing works best. Smaller town (but Lenk is small too), good hiking. From there you could take the car/train through the tunnel and come out in the Valais - near Sion.

I have photos for Kandersteg on Day Trips. And for Lenk in last September's trip report.

Thanks! I am REALLY excited about this and think we will come even if it doesn't coordinate with our friends in Oberdorf! We stayed in Murren one year, above Lauterbrunnen. It was amazing. Have you ever seen Trummelbach Falls? It's INSIDE a mountain, and simply amazing.

I'm glad to read you have 2 weeks in Lenk - for some reason I thought it was one week each.

I just went to your links for Lenk and Kandersteg above. I remember that receipt for the coffee and strudel! It sounds like our walking styles are similar (minimizing downhill time), and I loved some of the walks you detailed around Kandersteg.

Will you have a car this year too? I have no idea how well connected these smaller towns are, but I'm guessing a car is necessary.

Last edited:
You don't need a car in Switzerland because the trains are very good. But we always rent a car.

We've been to Lauterbrunnen and Murren but have not seen those falls. We did a short hike and had lunch at the end of the valley from Lauterbrunnen in 2015 when we were in Grindelwald and Lenk. We don't know that valley as well as we know the Grindelwald valley.

We got most of our Swiss itineraries from Rick Steves, and we were not disappointed. I think one of the reasons he preferred the Lauterbrunnen area over Gindelwald was because it was less touristy/crowded, but that was 20+ years ago and he might be responsible for it being much more crowded now, but I think you should check it out.

We've never had a car in Switzerland before, but we will this time. The advantage of the train is that everyone can sightsee, but if you're the driver it's not as easy!

Lauterbrunnen is full of young Americans. It feels like a party town. As you said Grindelwald is very crowded, mostly with Japanese tourists. Lenk is only Swiss tourists and a few Germans. We ran into other Americans once. Kandersteg also is not overrun at all.

OK @Pauline , I'm ready to start planning for this trip! When we hear back from our friends we'll just see how it works out. We definitely want to spend a few days with you and Steve, so let me know what you're thinking. We don't want to 'intrude' on your time, I like to walk alone as much as I love to walk with people, so I don't know what other people prefer. I was thinking 3 nights, maybe a Tues/Wed/Thurs to leave the weekend open if our friends are available. What were you thinking?

That sounds good. We would have two days of hiking together. We enjoy walking with other people. We can do one day with a picnic lunch, like we did when we walked in the Cotswolds, and the other day go out to a mountain restaurant, where we do a good walk before and then have lunch. This will be fun!

That sounds perfect! I can't tell you how excited I am about this! This summer is going to be simply amazing!

Do you want me to PM you regarding the dates? We have 2 options. I'm thinking that if we don't visit our friends we might stay on another day or two.

Is there any need for me to buy any travel guides? We already know where we're staying, our friends in Oberdorf will show us what's important in their area, and when we're in Lenk we'll be walking and/or hanging with you and Steve. Other than reading about our destinations online for an overview, I don't really think I need to buy a guidebook, do you?

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina