• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed T-Mobile International Data/Phone or Local SIM Card?

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
Hi everyone, I leave for Europe in September and I'm deciding whether to switch my current phone plan to T-Mobile since they have a good International Data plan. However, I'm concerned that the speed of the Data is not that great and I have heard from a couple of people that T-Mobile phone reception isn't as good as Verizon (which is what I currently have). Typically when I travel I use a cheap unlocked phone then buy a local SIM card. The only thing is I don't have a phone number to give to locals (ie., apartment owner/manager) until I buy the SIM card once I arrive. That's a drawback. I also have to be concerned about topping off with more time/data when low which may sometimes not be so convenient for me.

I read this thread that Pauline posted a while back and found it reassuring and helpful.

Does anyone currently have this T-Mobile plan? And if so how do you like it (data speed, calls okay, etc)? Any input, other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

We've had T-Mobile for several years now and are very happy with it. It has been great in Europe (have only used it in Italy and France). I guess it depends on what you want to do with the data. It probably isn't fast enough for watching movies, but we never do that on our phones anyway. I've never had a problem with it being too slow for things like email, web browsing (if not very graphics-heavy), and navigation.

When you are in Europe, the connection automatically switches to a local network and can change from time to time -- for example in France we would go between Orange, SFR, and Bouygues. So in that respect it actually can be better than buying a local phone that is tied to only one network. I also have a T-Mobile SIM card in my iPad Mini, which works well in Europe, too. I like the Mini for GPS navigation, since the screen is bigger.

Coverage has been fine for us in the US, although in some rural areas I think it may not be as good as Verizon. We don't have a problem in the places we normally go.

Texting is free, both here and in Europe. Voice calls are 20 cents a minute (both to send and receive), but we rarely use voice except occasionally for making a restaurant reservation. If we want to call home, we use the Internet (Skype or the like).

If you have any other questions, let me know.

We've had T-Mobile for several years now and are very happy with it. It has been great in Europe (have only used it in Italy and France). I guess it depends on what you want to do with the data. It probably isn't fast enough for watching movies, but we never do that on our phones anyway. I've never had a problem with it being too slow for things like email, web browsing (if not very graphics-heavy), and navigation.

When you are in Europe, the connection automatically switches to a local network and can change from time to time -- for example in France we would go between Orange, SFR, and Bouygues. So in that respect it actually can be better than buying a local phone that is tied to only one network. I also have a T-Mobile SIM card in my iPad Mini, which works well in Europe, too. I like the Mini for GPS navigation, since the screen is bigger.

Coverage has been fine for us in the US, although in some rural areas I think it may not be as good as Verizon. We don't have a problem in the places we normally go.

Texting is free, both here and in Europe. Voice calls are 20 cents a minute (both to send and receive), but we rarely use voice except occasionally for making a restaurant reservation. If we want to call home, we use the Internet (Skype or the like).

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Hi Roz, thank you so much. This is exactly the information I was looking for. I'm not sure if my current iPhone 6plus is unlocked. I'll drop by a T-Mobile store to see if they can check if my iPhone will work with their SIM card. I don't stream movies either, but I have grown very attached to GPS navigation here at home and while traveling. I've been using Face time for calling but will try to use Skype more.

I do have one f/up question, is your T-Mobile SIM card in your iPad Mini included in your plan? And if so, does that also provide unlimited data like your phone SIM card?

Thanks so much.
Kathy

Kathy, if I remember correctly, I pay $10 extra a month for the data plan on the iPad, which includes 5 GB of high speed data. But T-mobile changes their plans all the time, so best to check with them for current offers. Also, when you go to the T-Mo office, I would tell them you are thinking of switching from Verizon and want to know what is the best deal they can offer you. I think they will often sweeten the deal to get you as a new customer.

By the way, although the plans say unlimited data, they will slow down the data after a certain amount, depending on your plan. I have never come close to my high-speed data ceiling, so it has not been a problem.

Thanks so much. There is a lot of really detailed information, so much so that I'm going to have to reread it one more time and jot down notes to take with me when I pay a visit to T-mobile. I'll be in two countries on this trip (Croatia & Italy). Last year I started in France and then Spain. Much appreciation for the links.

Kathy, if I remember correctly, I pay $10 extra a month for the data plan on the iPad, which includes 5 GB of high speed data. But T-mobile changes their plans all the time, so best to check with them for current offers. Also, when you go to the T-Mo office, I would tell them you are thinking of switching from Verizon and want to know what is the best deal they can offer you. I think they will often sweeten the deal to get you as a new customer.

By the way, although the plans say unlimited data, they will slow down the data after a certain amount, depending on your plan. I have never come close to my high-speed data ceiling, so it has not been a problem.

Thanks very much Roz. I will check with the T-mobile store about the extra cost. And thanks for the clarification of their unlimited data plans. I try to use Wi-Fi whenever it's available as much as possible so I think I can live with the high-speed data ceiling. Much appreciation for your information and tips to letting them know that I was thinking of switching from Verizon. Right now I pay $155 per month so hopefully they can give me a better deal then that.

We just switched to TMobile a month ago for this very reason. The offer was $5/mo. and it seemed too good to be true since we leave in two weeks for the summer in France. In the past we've purchased phones and SIM cards, or even just SIM cards and most recently the Verizon "temporary travel plan" at $45/mo. One of the most encouraging points was that now when in Canada we can actually use our phones for NO extra charge. We live in WA state and visit Vancouver BC 3+ times a year. For us, this worked well...after the summer I'll confirm!

We just switched to TMobile a month ago for this very reason. The offer was $5/mo. and it seemed too good to be true since we leave in two weeks for the summer in France. In the past we've purchased phones and SIM cards, or even just SIM cards and most recently the Verizon "temporary travel plan" at $45/mo. One of the most encouraging points was that now when in Canada we can actually use our phones for NO extra charge. We live in WA state and visit Vancouver BC 3+ times a year. For us, this worked well...after the summer I'll confirm!

Thanks so much for sharing your information and experiences. I have a collection of cheap travel phones from previous trips because sometimes when I've brought a phone (not familiar in use) on trips only to find out I can't get them to work, I end up buying a new travel phone so I think I'm ready to make this switch too. Like, Chris says, lucky you on your summer stay in France. Have a wonderful time.

Thanks, ladies! We are public school teachers and summer is our only opportunity for long term travel so we tend to "make it count"! I said summer, but it's actually 6 weeks. "Summer" in WA state for teachers & students is just about 8 wks. so this feels like all summer.

And Chris, I still have the "Shouldit", but I'll be damned if I can find anything in my closet - 3 yrs later - to pair it with! Besides that every time I grab it I think of these conversations and I start to chuckle. If ever it has an outing, domestic or international, you'll be the first to know!

Laura

It took me a minute to remember what that was! Don't you think this trip would be the ideal time to finally try it out? ;)

Ann,

We are starting with just four days in Vence before our 2 week rental in St. Zacharie. I have an acquaintance who bought the village house next to hers and rents it out. This is a non-touristy area in the Var, close to Cassis, Bandol and other great day trips. Good hiking and slow living abound! After that we have a 2 week rental in Sare, thanks to Americana's great tips. We've never visited the Basque area of France, so if you have info to share please do! We will spend the last 2 weeks making our way back to and staying in Paris. We'll stay in LaRochelle for just under a week, visit Sancerre to check out the language school Roz has talked about (for a future trip) and some wine! And finish in Paris. This is more hopping around than we usually do, but we're using those last two weeks as "reconnaissance time" for future trips.

We'll stay in LaRochelle for just under a week, visit Sancerre to check out the language school Roz has talked about (for a future trip) and some wine!

Laura, please keep us posted on your visit to Sancerre -- and give my best to Gerard and Marianne, the directors of Coeur de France Ecole de Langues, and if you meet her, Valerie, who was the wonderful teacher that we had on two visits there. We thought it was such a special place and just loved our time there.

Also, I'd love to know more about your time in the Var -- that looks like a great location.

P.S. Kathy - sorry for hijacking your thread -- we have wandered far away from T-Mobile!

We switched to T-Mobile about two years ago and have been delighted. The service here in NYC is not quite as good as Verizon, but it's perfectly satisfactory. Having the phone simply work when we travel is wonderful. We recently changed plans when they had a promo on slightly faster overseas data. We are paying $120 per month for two phones and one iPad (tax and fees included). They all work seamlessly when we are overseas, and it's plenty fast enough for email, Apple or Google Maps, and web browsing. Certainly not fast enough for video. There's some sort of rebate if we use less data, sometimes we get back $10 or $20 or $30, sometimes we pay the full $120, which is fine.

I did always enjoy shopping for a local SIM, and it was a bit of a challenge in some countries (like Turkey), but I don't really miss that, and having my phone simply work the moment I land or cross the border is great. I do have to remember to turn off the ringer at night when I'm overseas so I don't get calls or texts from the States waking me up.

I still can't imagine how we were so mobile in Europe 30 years ago with out GPS or cell phones. Although I do remember getting stuck for several hours in a little town in northern Italy once - we simply couldn't find the way out. Happened again the next year in Calabria. Now it's the opposite problem - it's too easy to get to the next place, without fully appreciating the journey.

Laura, please keep us posted on your visit to Sancerre -- and give my best to Gerard and Marianne, the directors of Coeur de France Ecole de Langues, and if you meet her, Valerie, who was the wonderful teacher that we had on two visits there. We thought it was such a special place and just loved our time there.

Also, I'd love to know more about your time in the Var -- that looks like a great location.

P.S. Kathy - sorry for hijacking your thread -- we have wandered far away from T-Mobile!

Hi Roz, no apologies necessary. I love hearing about where people are traveling too. It's fun to learn about new places and how others plan their trips and I'm enjoying the information too.

We switched to T-Mobile about two years ago and have been delighted. The service here in NYC is not quite as good as Verizon, but it's perfectly satisfactory. Having the phone simply work when we travel is wonderful. We recently changed plans when they had a promo on slightly faster overseas data. We are paying $120 per month for two phones and one iPad (tax and fees included). They all work seamlessly when we are overseas, and it's plenty fast enough for email, Apple or Google Maps, and web browsing. Certainly not fast enough for video. There's some sort of rebate if we use less data, sometimes we get back $10 or $20 or $30, sometimes we pay the full $120, which is fine.

I did always enjoy shopping for a local SIM, and it was a bit of a challenge in some countries (like Turkey), but I don't really miss that, and having my phone simply work the moment I land or cross the border is great. I do have to remember to turn off the ringer at night when I'm overseas so I don't get calls or texts from the States waking me up.

I still can't imagine how we were so mobile in Europe 30 years ago with out GPS or cell phones. Although I do remember getting stuck for several hours in a little town in northern Italy once - we simply couldn't find the way out. Happened again the next year in Calabria. Now it's the opposite problem - it's too easy to get to the next place, without fully appreciating the journey.

Thanks so much for sharing. I think having my phone work the moment I land and having a cell phone number to give out (pre-trip) is the convenience I'm looking for in making this move. It's good to hear that your experience has been very positive. And the GPS navigation is the other feature I find so convenient. It saved me a few times when trying to find my lodgings last year in Spain. I live in the Los Angeles area so I'm hoping the coverage is okay. That's funny about turning off the ringer.

I have a plastic storage box full of old travel phones I've had to buy (when I had problems trying to get my travel phones to work with my newly purchased SIM cards. When they don't work I end up buying another cheap travel phone. Another reason for the switch. I'm used to the iPhone features and most of the travel phones I have bought are android and I miss the familiarity of my everyday phone.

I think with everyone's feedback, I'm pretty convinced to make the switch.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina