• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Ten Days in Val d' Orcia in July: Hello from Naples, FL and Groton Long Point, CT

fredcon41

My bride and I will spend our honeymoon in Montfollonico, just south of Siena and are looking for ideas for daily adventures in the area. We will have a car and are looking to immerse ourselves in the culture, history and culinary delights of the region. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Best,
Fred

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. Visiting Siena and Pienza immediately come to mind. However, both will be very busy in July. Siena's first of two palios takes place July 2nd. It's quite the event but crazy crowded.

The heat in July would normally be a constraining factor, but for a Florida resident that should be less of a factor than for my English 'glow in the dark' skin ;)

Montepulciano an obvious candidate you'll already have pencilled in I'm sure. If you've got a casual interest in wine, there are many drop-in tasting rooms in the centre, so it's easy to factor that into a visit. The historic cafe (Poliziano) was slightly disappointing for us, but their small biscuits / sweets (the mignons) were a highlight to have with an afternoon coffee. The nearby temple of San Biagio may be more low key / spartan than you'd expect, but it is nonetheless worth a visit, and Ristorante la Grotta opposite really impressed us - I envisaged a somewhat touristy 'meh' place being near a tourist attraction, but I guess the temple isn't big with mass tourism and the food and service were both excellent. You could easily park down here, see the temple, walk up the (somewhat energetic) slope to Montepulciano, and then back down for lunch at La Grotta.

If a steam train trip appeals, there's one that runs to/from San Quirico d'Orcia https://www.visittuscany.com/en/ideas/nature-train/

Chianciamo terme worth considering if a spa day has appeal.

Last edited:
Montefollonico is a very small town but it is the location of one of our favorite restaurants in the area…Ristorante 13 Gobbi. The cacio e pepe made in a wheel of pecorino cheese is delicious and they have a lovely outdoor patio for dining.
There are so many lovely smaller towns to visit in that area in addition to Siena…Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano, San Quirico, etc. San Quirico has another of our favorite restaurants…Al Vecchio Forno…again with a lovely outdoor patio.
Nearby La Foce is a lovely place to visit…their garden tour offers amazing views over the Val d’Dorcia. And there are two interesting abbeys in the area…Sant’Antimo and the Abbey of Monte Oliveto Maggiore.
So many places to visit…so many wonderful restaurants…you will not have any problem filling your days with wonderful adventures.

I echo all of the above suggestions! Volterra is also wonderful although maybe a 1.5-2 hr drive. When in Siena (a favorite) if you're looking for a delicious meal then look no further than Bagoga. Super friendly staff and Chef Bagoga is a hoot. He has a wonderful history with the Palio. check it out if you can (and you'll probably need reservations). :dancingcow: :pig:

Since you have a car, a nice day trip would be to go to Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio. You will never see anything like Civita di Bagnoregio anywhere in the world. In July, go to Civita di Bagnoregio early morning, you don't want to be making that walk at mid-day.

If in Orvieto, check admission schedule for Underground Orvieto for some unique. If taking in Val d’Orcia, enhance the experience by reading the Iris Origo book, “War in Val d’Orcia”.
A wonderful book that speaks to the courage of Iris Origo & the work she did against the poverty she found in the area & how she strove to get children educated.
We had a marvellous visit to La Foce, the garden Antonio & Iris had designed for them by Cecil Pinsent.
I still have the book Slowtravellers bought for me via a voucher when I was recovering from BC in 2003.
www.lafoce.com

Last edited:
My bride and I will spend our honeymoon in Montfollonico, just south of Siena and are looking for ideas for daily adventures in the area. We will have a car and are looking to immerse ourselves in the culture, history and culinary delights of the region. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Best,
Fred
My husband and I spent time in Val d’Orcia last July. In preparation we read a memoir by Iris Ortigo, Val d’Orcia in World War ll, or words to that effect. Excellent background information.

Montefollonico is a very small town but it is the location of one of our favorite restaurants in the area…Ristorante 13 Gobbi. The cacio e pepe made in a wheel of pecorino cheese is delicious and they have a lovely outdoor patio for dining.
There are so many lovely smaller towns to visit in that area in addition to Siena…Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano, San Quirico, etc. San Quirico has another of our favorite restaurants…Al Vecchio Forno…again with a lovely outdoor patio.
Nearby La Foce is a lovely place to visit…their garden tour offers amazing views over the Val d’Dorcia. And there are two interesting abbeys in the area…Sant’Antimo and the Abbey of Monte Oliveto Maggiore.
So many places to visit…so many wonderful restaurants…you will not have any problem filling your days with wonderful adventures.
Coming in late here but yes I agree with your suggestions and they bring many happy memories. Thank you. Montepulciano was our favourite town with wonderful dining from ; https://www.caffepoliziano.it/ especially watching the sunset and a huge harvest moon rise one beautiful Sept evening.
We adored the abbeys you quote. I’m so very glad my late husband & I had the chance to spend so many happy holidays in that very atmospheric part of Italy.
Apologies for repeating your suggestion about La Foce btw.

Small world! 2013, Montefollonico, pranzo. Had to capture this photo.
Tredici Gobbi.JPG

Also a nice fabbrica di ceramiche, traditional and contemporary ceramics.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina