• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Testing newly required from U.S. Aug. 31, 2021

The Italian Foreign Ministry document in English is an inaccurate and misleading translation from the original Italian. Here is what you need to know:

BOTTOM LINE is that, starting in 3.5 hours (12:01 a.m., Italy time on August 31), BOTH of the following will be required to enter Italy if coming from Canada, Japan or the United States (or if having stayed in or transited through those countries in the 14 days prior to entering Italy):

(i) negative PCR or Antigen Covid-19 test result collected no more than 72 hours prior to ARRIVAL in Italy; AND

(ii) proof of FULL vaccination with an approved vaccine at least 14 days prior to arrival in Italy, OR proof of having recovered from Covid-19 in the timeframes allowed.

Failure to satisfy (ii) will result in mandatory fiduciary self-isolation for 5 days, followed by a SECOND Covid-19 test at the conclusion of the period of self-isolation. Note that (i) is non-waivable (except for children under age 6). I assume that children between 6 and 12 (who cannot presently be vaccinated) need only satisfy (i) as long as traveling with a fully vaccinated and tested parent or guardian. Children age 12 and above (who can be vaccinated) are treated exactly as adults.

See:

https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/minist...l-estero-e-cittadini-stranieri-in-italia.html
thank you so much!!

GAC, really appreciate the clarification. I just started packing today after putting off for so long thinking that our September trip just wasn't going to happen. Thought that this announcement proved me right and that it was time to sadly empty the suitcases, but now am hoping we actually get there. Still am sweating bullets over the rest of our trip (to Egypt and return home via overnight in Frankfurt), but one thing at a time.

Are there likely to be any restrictions on connecting through European airports to go to Italy now?

GailS, there is that risk. You can search for IATA or Timatic rules for your itinerary, for the information check-in agents would see; I don’t know how fast that’s being updated.

I need to re-write my earlier posting, which is not 100% accurate:

Beginning on August 31 (arrivals in Italy after 12:01 a.m. Italy time):

BOTH of the following will be required to enter Italy if coming from Canada, Japan, the United States or the United Kingdom (or if having stayed in or transited through those countries in the 14 days prior to entering Italy):

(i) negative Molecular or Antigen Covid-19 test result collected no more than 72 hours prior to ARRIVAL in Italy (48 hours in the case of entry from the U.K.); AND

(ii) proof of FULL vaccination with an approved vaccine at least 14 days prior to arrival in Italy, OR proof of having recovered from Covid-19 in the timeframes allowed (and subject to specified content and format of recovery information).

Failure to satisfy BOTH of the above requirements will result in mandatory fiduciary self-isolation for 5 days, followed by a SECOND Covid-19 test at the conclusion of the period of self-isolation. Note that (i) is non-waivable (except for children under age 6). I assume that children between 6 and 12 (who cannot presently be vaccinated) need only satisfy (i) as long as traveling with a fully vaccinated and tested parent or guardian (unfortunately, this is not expressly stated). Children age 12 and above (who can be vaccinated) are treated exactly as adults.

Please also note that airlines MAY impose more stringent requirements to board flights to Italy (for safety or corporate policy reasons) than those imposed by the Italian Government. For example, an airline COULD deny boarding to a non-vaxxed passenger who refuses to get vaccinated despite being eligible (i.e. over age 12), OR to a vaxxed passenger who has not gotten a negative test result, even though the Italian Entry Regulations WOULD allow such person to enter Italy, subject to the 5-day self-isolation requirement.

See this updated webpage of the Italian Embassy in Washington D.C.:

Please be careful in relying on some other official websites purporting to give the current Italian Entry Requirements. Some of these are either outdated, incomplete, confusing, muddled or plain incorrect. The Italian Embassy website hyperlinked above is current and accurate.

Last edited:
A new "no-go" for travelers from six countries wanting to enter the EU, including from the US and Israel :

"The EU’s white list necessitates having fewer than 75 new cases daily for every 100,000 people over the previous 14 days."
Travelers from Canada and Australia still allowed entry.

All this is the EU Council advisory guideline for its member countries, but does not legally bind them.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina