• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

TGV luggage trauma

MaisonRose

10+ Posts
This is a HEADS UP notice about luggage on trains. I know better but had an unusual circumstance.
On July 10 I boarded a TGV Avignon/Lille en route to London. My suitcase was stored several seats behind me between back to back seats. I had a window seat sharing with a gentleman of considerable girth (who slept the entire way). So unlike my normal habit of watching my bag during stops, (Lyon, Roissy CDG, Lille) I stayed in my seat.
YOU GUESSED IT. My bag was missing when we arrived in Lille. It gets worse.
The next day my cell phone registered a call from Lyon and they had my bag. But they would not send it to London. It has since « disappeared ». On Monday it will be two weeks and I’m still in contact with my original caller.
I’m sure that my bag was taken unwittingly by a confused traveler who turned it in, but still the trauma and expense has been mind boggling. Friends: watch your luggage!

ugh what a nightmare! I'm so very sorry you're still dealing with your luggage being taken off the train. I am like you, I watch my suitcase at each stop. I hope eventually you are reunited with your suitcase and that it is in good shape with nothing missing. Hoping the goodness of fellow travelers shines upon you.

Mindy

Your experience is disturbing and I hope that the luggage with its contents will soon be discovered. I used to be quite diligent about watching my luggage at train stops but I have become more "relaxed" and less careful. I now think it best to return to my anxious ways.

Good news today: my husband & I drove to Lyon Perrache today & recovered my bag. One set of wheels is off & there’s a crack, but I am so grateful to have my stuff back
Here’s what I learned: put a secure tag on your luggage with the complete number of the phone you are carrying. Mine said +33 (0) 6 43…etc.
If your bag goes missing KEEP CHECKING MESSAGES OR RECENT CALLS from a phone number you don’t recognize.
sncf will store your lost item/s in OBJETS PERDU LOST LUGGAGE but not necessarily at the station you transited. One month storage.
sncf basically requires you to pick up your bag at the station where it is stored. If you request the item be sent to you, it will be at your expense via the Poste.
You will need to go on the sncf website and fill in their lost item form in French including date, time, train number, car and seat, departure and destination stations.
And of course (as Customs pointed out to me) do not put your passport, documents or medications in your luggage. Happily that did not apply to me.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina