• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

The end of small shops in Barcelona?

Dana

100+ Posts
This was posted yesterday in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/20/w..._20141020&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=261957&_r=0

and I've just had a discussion about it with a landlord friend of mine who goes to Barcelona twice a year because he loves it so much. He completely agrees it would be a tragic loss if all the independent, historic little shops in the Barri Gòtic had to close because of soaring rents, but as a landlord he says it's not fair to property owners, either, to have to subsidise character and charm.

Again it's the age old dilemma of a destination's popularity destroying what made the destination popular to begin with. Visitors love all the old family run businesses. Property prices have soared because of Barcelona's huge popularity with visitors, and only chain stores can afford the new rents. But who wants more of those?

Any ideas? Perhaps a small city hotel/apt bed tax that no one would really notice? I wonder...

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina