• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

"The next trend in travel is : don't"

Whilst it flirts with a little sensationalism, the end comment is one that I'd endorse - forego mass (and ignorant tourism) that is a blight on the cultural survival of famous sites / locations.

For me the major tourist destinations aren't enjoyable because of the effect mass tourism has on them: Littered; the original culture and people marginalised so what's there becomes a poor parody; shops and restaurants peddling rubbish to ignorant tourists and so on.

It's a decision I made years ago, recognising my love of the Italian culture (even with its many foibles), over a desire to visit famous/prestigious sites. I still enjoy great views, great cities, great nature and enjoy great food drink and above all - great people.

Would I go so far as to not travel? Perhaps if I reach an age I'm too old to enjoy it / do it. However like the twinning of towns/cities across Europe, I think it does have the ability to break down cultural stereotypes and jingoistic nationalism.

Very interesting article! Bali is off my list now. It is true that most of us have interesting things to see in our own countries but I do love going to other countries. I think when you stay away from the major tourist destinations and places where cruise ships stop, you can escape some of the effects of mass tourism. My recent two days in the Cinque Terre showed me mass tourism at its worst, but staying just one town away and it was all enjoyable and manageable. That shows you how just specific areas are overrun.

We have visited Rome many times, but after several years of bypassing the city, my husband really wanted to return for a few days. We've been home for over a week now, and I'm still upset by that visit. Upon our arrival to the Vatican, we were hammered by dozens of people trying to sell us tickets to bypass the ticket lines. Of course, we knew you didn't need a ticket to get into the Vatican. When we said "No" or ignored them, they became testy. By the time, we went through security, and arrived at the front door, we couldn't even enter, as the tour groups off the cruise ships had the area completely blocked, while their guides filled them in on what they were going to see. We finally pushed our way through, only to find more huge tour groups in front of all the major sights inside. Everywhere we went, more tour groups. Truly, I've never seen it worse.

We already knew not to go into any of the Tuscan tourist towns in the morning, as those tours hit them early and are mostly gone by noon. As we entered Montepulciano late one morning, they were all leaving, following the person with the umbrella or flag on a stick. I understand that they deserve to see the sights like the rest of us, but just wish they didn't have such large groups. Put four or five tour groups, with sixty or more people in each, and it's simply overwhelming in these towns with the very narrow streets inside the walls.

Because most Italian towns close at noon for lunch, and re-open at 3:00, it's kind of hard to avoid these groups, as they are competing with all the rest of the tourists for the popular sights. My other complaint is the use of Selfie Sticks. I actually thought they had been banned in some places, but certainly not in Rome.

Interesting article. This is one of the reasons I won't go to Venice. It was and still is loaded with tourists with few natives in the center.

When I fell in love with Italy, Rome was my favorite city. No more. I found the last two visits to be unpleasant, especially in the historic center. Beggars, peddlers, and tour guides all getting in your face trying to sell their product or tour and Restaurants all vying for your patronage.

Would I stop traveling to Italy? Absolutely not, at least not until I no longer can.

I hate to read this about Rome! We haven’t been since 2004 and I’ve been thinking about a return trip. Maybe in the winter.

I did not realise that Tuscany was being hit with crowds like this. This is not good for anyone - locals, people running tourist businesses, travelers.

We are staying in Venice for a month in October. It makes my heart sink when I read these stories but it has been something I’ve wanted to do since our last time there ( 3 weeks) in 2011 when we arrived on a cruise! Horror!
I make myself feel better by saying it was small - 500 passengers, not thousands!

I watch a webcam of The Rialto Bridge and see the hoards of people, but timed right I can see very few there.
The thing about the large cruise ships, other than the ecological damage is that the majority are back on the ship for evening meals.
I have the cruise port calendar and will plan my days according to the number of passengers disgorged into the city. On the days of extremely large numbers we will stay away from the major sights and plan some day trips away from Venice.

It's a conundrum.

In 2007, my husband and I rented a house on an agritourismo outside Florence. It was our sixth consecutive year of going to Italy. We found it all enjoyable until we drove to Siena. Walking into Siena, there were so many Americans going in at the same time, that there was a throng as wide and long as the street. Frustrated by the crowd, we sat a cafe and drank wine while my son, on leave from UCL in London, toured a few sites. It was in that moment that we decided to make France our yearly destination. That said, a mutual ST friend loved her stay in Siena, so perhaps we just hit Siena at the wrong time?

Yes, Paris is crowded around the tourist areas. But, I'm familiar enough with the city that I'm off exploring the quieter streeters away from the madness.

Until a month ago, I hadn't returned to Italy...after my 11th consecutive annual visit to Paris...I was in Venice for four days, at the end of being in the uncrowded Fruili region for a week. Maybe it was the luck of timing, but I didn't think it was overwhelmed with tourists, except around the famous places like San Marcos. Yes, it was crowded, but we found quiet places, too.

In September, I'm going to Sicily, followed by a few days in Rome. I've been to Rome four times, but it's been ten years. Reading these comments about it, it's a concern, but I'm still looking forward to it.

I hate to read this about Rome! We haven’t been since 2004 and I’ve been thinking about a return trip. Maybe in the winter.

Dave and I spent 2 week in Rome in January 2016 and loved it that time of year. The only place we encountered large crowds was in the Vatican museums (but I made the mistake of going on a Monday when many other sites are closed.) So I'd highly recommend going in winter!

Travel is one of the things that are making man's tread on the planet so heavy. For most people, it has become another form of consumerism that, if you have the opportunity, you indulge in it, and have good ways to explain or rationalize it. Not much different than eating ice cream or owning a car. Travel has always been good for the traveler, while for the local (and the destination) - it's a blessing, a bane, or any mix of the two.

I think the bulk of the responsibility in curbing the negative aspects of tourism is on the locals. It's true that it is very difficult for groups of people who are not used to working together, to organize themselves and bring about meaningful results through a motivated campaign - but there are examples of success in this respect, which should be copied by others. It's going to be hard for travelers to resist the temptation of a well-known destination - but that's where the locals should have a significant say.

I've already mentioned in another thread, that as much as I enjoy the benefits of the AirBnB revolution in accommodation, I realize that this model has negative aspects to it as well. I admire the fight that people in a city like New Orleans have put up against these negatives, and I am surely ready to respect any costs or disadvantages that these people might put upon me, to make my travel more harmonious with their desires.

Their campaign should serve as an example to other localities, and such should be the policy in any type of tension involved between the interests of tourists and those of the locals. If there are ZLT zones for traffic, no reason there shouldn't be such a thing for tourists.

For a more serious look at the subject than the article above, here is the manifesto of a charity called "Tourism Concern - the voice for ethical tourism" , whose vision is " a world free from exploitation in which all parties involved in tourism benefit equally and in which relationships between industry, tourists and host communities are based on trust and respect" :

https://tourismconcern.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Tourism-Concern-Campaign-Strategy_2013.pdf

I did not realise that Tuscany was being hit with crowds like this. This is not good for anyone - locals, people running tourist businesses, travelers.
Pauline, I would like to think these groups would help the economy, but they are rushed around, and never have time to shop, or even enjoy a nice lunch.

I can’t understand how people do these tours, in large groups and rushed around. A nice lunch is one of the fun parts of travel. I think they “see” things but don’t experience them.

Like Joe said, it is travel materialism, having to see every “must-see” in the world. I agree that it is up to the locals to change how tourists visit. For our part, we can take the path less traveled and help each other find great places off the tourist path or learn how best to deal with the popular tourist places.

It's a conundrum.

In 2007, my husband and I rented a house on an agritourismo outside Florence. It was our sixth consecutive year of going to Italy. We found it all enjoyable until we drove to Siena. Walking into Siena, there were so many Americans going in at the same time, that there was a throng as wide and long as the street. Frustrated by the crowd, we sat a cafe and drank wine while my son, on leave from UCL in London, toured a few sites. It was in that moment that we decided to make France our yearly destination. That said, a mutual ST friend loved her stay in Siena, so perhaps we just hit Siena at the wrong time?

My experience was I also found it a little touristy around the Piazza del Campo, and the main pedestrian street there, though there are far worse places. Often getting away from the main tourist area can be a revelation, but Siena never excited us (except the Friday morning farmers market in Piazza del Mercato, which was small but brilliant). I found Siena a little cold/distant, and wondered whether the seemingly dull / soulless experience was down to it being the city of bankers. Probably a harsh assessment, but over a period of a week, it had a fair chance to impress.

I've wrestled with this dilemma as well. We just returned from a month in Spain and I found myself cursing all the damned tourists in Barcelona and Madrid, while sheepishly acknowledging that I am part of the problem. The Casa Batllo in Barcelona was absolutely the worst experience we've ever had. Literally, wall-to-wall people who could scarcely move. One tour group after another - you think, "we'll let this group pass" and then there's another right behind. I shudder to think what would have happened if there had been a fire or some other emergency. I blame the owners of the property who seem determined to cram as many paying customers through the door as they can.

On the other hand, we had a delightful time in Tarragona and Cadiz which are not listed in Rick Steves' guidebook. There were still quite a few people (particularly in Cadiz) but you could walk and breathe. Even Ronda was not too bad. We made it our base for a few days and it was only bothersome during mid-day when the tour buses all arrive. The early mornings and evenings were quite pleasant.

The reality is that if I were to visit Paris for the first time, I'm going to want to see the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and all the rest. So, you're sort of stuck with the crowds. But for my second trip, I'd try to get off the path a little.

I'm surprised the article did not mention the effects of air travel on climate change. That's the one that makes me feel most guilty.

It seems to be a trend among us Slow Travelers to think about, worry about, and consider our impact on how we contribute to this situation, which is basically unsustainable tourism. I think it is that we are Slow Travelers - we truly want to get to know places, and people, and we want to contribute something back to the places we are going to by supporting local merchants and local landlords. I am glad to be a part of this community who thinks about these things.

AirBnB has really changed the game of apartment rentals. Vacation rentals were never harmful before. They weren't putting residents in the street, they weren't driving up the prices of rentals, usually they were rented by the week, thereby eliminating 95% of the people who need a room. AirBnB changed all of this. A handful of people looking to make an extra buck on a spare room turned into a gold rush of entrepreneurs who rent several apartments and make a lot of money with just a little investment - furniture, mostly. Some "hosts" rent for one day. I am totally guilty. I have rented them. Many times you get your key from a lock box. Who knows where the owner is. But sometimes I have had excellent experiences, and AirBnB is the new booking portal now, so if you want to rent an apartment, you have to look at AirBnB.

This, of course, is just the vacation rental aspect of this problem. There are the cruise ships, the bus tours, dumbed down environments created only for the tourists. In the comments of the article, someone wrote: "People don’t travel to learn about other places any more."
Whoa.

I wrote about this topic a few months ago in a blog post. I hope its ok to post here.
https://slowtraveltours.com/blog/a-...icating-the-mystique-of-venice-and-dubrovnik/

We can't stop traveling, because many places do depend on tourism somewhat. There just needs to be a happy medium in these overrun places. Sadly, beyond recession, war or an act of God I don't see that happy medium happening any time soon.

I've been professionally involved in apartment rental businesses, and even then I could see the ill effects they were having in tourist-heavy areas such as central Paris. I do prefer apartments to hotels for stays of longer than a day or two. And we do use AirBnB, but now whenever possible we pick hosts offering a room in their own home. That way I know my money is benefiting a local, we're not distorting the local property market, and we've also met lovely people this way.

The Casa Batllo in Barcelona was absolutely the worst experience we've ever had. Literally, wall-to-wall people who could scarcely move.

We had a lovely visit to Casa Batllo in December a few years ago (note how there are no people in any of my photos). There were maybe half a dozen visitors in the house. I know there isn't a real low season in Barcelona, but it's definitely better in winter than summer. Likewise, Ronda midweek in November last year was very quiet.

... but Siena never excited us... I found Siena a little cold/distant, and wondered whether the seemingly dull / soulless experience was down to it being the city of bankers. Probably a harsh assessment, but over a period of a week, it had a fair chance to impress.

I think this is a classic example of "your mileage may vary" or the way different people perceive different places.

Siena is quite possibly my favourite city on the planet, and what I love about it is the fanaticism of the people. Campinilismo, and the fierce rivalries between the various contrade (the 17 regions making up the ancient city), the passion of being "Senese", the refusal to accept that the Republic lost the war against Florence.

I'm biased - I spent a couple of months there trying to learn the language, and have been back on several occasions.

I think this is a classic example of "your mileage may vary" or the way different people perceive different places.

Siena is quite possibly my favourite city on the planet, and what I love about it is the fanaticism of the people. Campinilismo, and the fierce rivalries between the various contrade (the 17 regions making up the ancient city), the passion of being "Senese", the refusal to accept that the Republic lost the war against Florence.

I'm biased - I spent a couple of months there trying to learn the language, and have been back on several occasions.
Absolutely, one of the loveliest aspects of very slow travel is getting to know places over a longer period. There are some places where I feel I belong because I've spent enough time there to get under the surface. We spend a couple of (off season) months in Spain every year, and for the last two we've been in the area around Almuñecar on the Costa Tropical. It may not look particularly special, but now we catch up with people we know when we go there, have favourite neighbourhood hangouts etc.

This is an interesting philosophical dilemma that has been on my mind too...how to travel responsibly. For those of us who have been traveling for decades, the changes are probably more apparent including the blessing/curse of Air B&B. We just got back from Finland and Estonia, our first visit to both countries. We did rent a car in both places and venture beyond Tallin and Helsinki, both on the tourist and cruise trails and the contrast between these capitals and outside is is amazing. We pretty much had the rural areas to ourselves but was told this will change once the Scandinavian schools close and the summer vacationers arrive esp in Estonia where it is much cheaper. In one small village in Estonia we found the only restaurant open in the vicinity just closing when we arrived at 7:00 pm—the restaurant is owned by the former ABBA manager who is from this village. They did offer to cook us up something but we did not want to trouble them so headed to the nearest supermarket that was closing in half an hour. We were struggling with our google translator and Estonian/Russian when one of the counter girls who spoke English asked if she could help and then walked with us down the aisle to help us. She suddenly asked in the most welcoming way ‘How did you end up here?’ and that warmed our hearts and made us recall why we travel. And Air B&B makes me miss the good old B&B/Pension experiences. The one we stayed in Helsinki made me swear never again—never saw the owner, and did not know it was on the 5th floor with no elevator, and when we found no towels, they could not get us any till the cleaner came the next day! But then we stayed in one in a rural ares that was a self contained unit next to the owners and she welcomes us with a fresh berry pie and cream etc. Yes we will still continue to travel but I had struck Bali off my list after reading about their plastic problem which I also see in India—and I won’t strike India off because that is where family is. I also skipped the Great Barrier Reef on our Australia trip. We still return to London and Paris but are glad we get to explore the less popular areas outside the inner circles and or head outside the city. We went to a UNESCO heritage site in Finland, Sammallahdenmaki and had the whole place to ourselves except for one other stray wanderer. So perhaps more selective about where we go? And oh yes those free walking tours run by local students where you give a tip are fabulous ...we did it in Columbia, Bogota and Medallion and now Helsinki and two in Tallin, one a communist Tallin tour where there were only three of us and the guide was studying to be a history teacher...we felt we hit the gold mine. What a educative two hours of Russian/Estonian history and his grandmother party member turned capitalist and how they avoided Siberia...

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina