• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

The Slow Europe Contest 2019 - Discussion

Wonderful!

I have started a thread where you must post to enter the contest. Once you have your 10 posts on the forums and you have posted your trip report or resource, post on this thread:
https://www.sloweurope.com/community/threads/post-here-to-enter-the-slow-europe-contest-2019.4102/

If you run into a problem posting your trip report or resource, send me a private message and I will help you get it posted.

I will send out a newsletter this week to announce the contest.

Good luck everyone!

Has a deadline for entering been posted: is it the date of the drawing?
Good point, thanks for telling me this. I changed the thread where you enter the contest to say:
  • To officially enter the contest you must post a reply ... by Friday April 12 at 5pm GMT UK time (which is 9am PST on the US West Coast, 12pm EST on the US East Coast).
That gives me one day to print out member names, cut them into strips and put them in the hat.

Two more prizes have been added, both from Tony Polzer (Tony da Roma from ST). One is for a tour guide for a day in Rome. The other is for time with a wine expert. Both prizes are with Tony when he is available or with a 50% discount for other members of his team who are available more often.

OK, I have a peeve about how the times are stated, since the U.K. and U.S. will be on Summer or Daylight Saving time then. GMT is constant, and the time in the U.K. will be one hour ahead of that. The times observed in most of the U.S. should be stated as PDT, EDT, etc. Another aspect of confusion in time zone names is that the "ST" in Britain means Summer Time, and in the U.S. it's Standard Time, observed in winter. Arizona stays on MST all year, meaning that in summer they're the same as the West Coast and PDT. So if the time is based on the time observed in the countries, it should be 5pm BST, in the U.S. 9am PDT and 12 pm EDT.

since the U.K. and U.S. will be on Summer or Daylight Saving time then

Will they? I thought it was after. I will admit I get confused on all the abbreviations.

Okay, you are right, UK time changes Sunday 31 March. We will be in Israel when they go forward Friday 29 March and then in the UK for their change. And daylight savings time starts in the US on Sunday 10 March.

I will change it to:
Friday 12 April 4pm (16:00) GMT - which is 5pm BST in the UK, 12pm (noon) EDT on the US east coast and 9am PDT on the US west coast.

Now I have Steve telling me about UTC vs GMT.

I will change it to:
Friday 12 April 4pm (16:00) GMT - which is 5pm BST in the UK, 12pm (noon) EDT on the US east coast and 9am PDT on the US west coast.
I can understand all the confusion about different time zones, especially when daylight savings time is a factor, but why change the day from Saturday to Friday? I'm glad this is far enough in advance that we can get everything figured out!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina