• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Thoughts

Lisa in Ottawa

500+ Posts
Here I am home less than a month with itchy feet. Give me your opinions. Ron is attending a work retreat at Lake Bellagio 3rd week of May. He is not allowed to bring a guest. So he will be incommunicado for most of the week. I think he's able to leave the center for dinner. Then he has a week after the retreat to spend in Italy. At first I said I wouldn't go. What would I do on my own there for a week? Plus that area doesn't really appeal. It sounds very touristy. But I may be missing something. If I came at the end of his retreat, we'd have a week which seems kinda short. Plus it's a nice time at home.
A long winded preamble to get to my question:
Who has been to that area? What do you think about spending a week on my own there? Or in the general vicinity. I've traveled a lot on my own but am not really interested in doing so now. I won't be driving. Then where could we go?
I've been looking at that lovely agritourismo in Tuscany that Pauline and Chris describe in another thread. I think we may be getting into highish season.
Mmm I don't make it sound very appealing. Well I'd still like an opinion or 2.

The town of Bellagio on Lake Como? GO! End of May will be perfect. What is that lovely movie that is set there? That will make you want to go.

Bellagio is very beautiful. You can take a ferry to two other nearby towns - Menaggio (we spent a week there) and Varenna (we did not go there but it is supposed to be lovely). Then you can take the boat down to Como and stop at other places on the lake. You don't need to drive and you will have fun on your own on the boats. You could take a train north into the mountains.

You would like Sant Antonio in Tuscany. A beautiful place in a great area. May/June is a good time to be there.

I think you are in the Canadian winter doldrums (and I have the England freezing cold winter blues). Think of palm trees, think of mountain air, think of sparkling lakes. There you are standing on the ferry pulling into a lovely old Italian town. That looks like a nice caffe!!

Only you can decide if you would enjoy a week on your own, BUT if you're okay with that, I think you'd love Lake Como! Late May would be before the busy season, and as Pauline says, you can take the ferry to other towns if you don't want to have a car. There are some lovely gardens.

We stayed for a week in a village on the north end of Lake Como (Domaso) and passed through again a few years ago. I would love to go back. It's such a unique combination of the lake, the colorful villages, the palm trees (a micro-climate), and then snow-topped mountains in the distance. We took the ferry to Bellagio ... see photo below. This was in late April. We also drove over to Lake Lugano, Switzerland when we stayed there.

Personally, I'd never pass by a chance to spend time in Europe ... and a week in Tuscany with your husband would be wonderful too.

IMG_9025.jpg

If you do end up at Sant'Antonio that last week in May, get in touch! I'll be there with my friends then. If I were you I'd JUMP at the chance to spend a week at Lake Como! I've never been, but it's on my list.

Thanks all. I think I'm going to go!! As it turns out, his "retreat' is only 3 days. I think I'm going to try to stay in Varennes. I need to read up on the area.
Kathy I read your review in ST. I hadn't heard of that village.

So another question: should I just stay in Lombardy or Piedmont for the extra week? I don't want to go to Cinq Terra but are there other spots folks can recommend.

In case Sant "Antonio doesn't work out as it is very popular. We've been to that area of Tuscany but not to \Lombardy or Piedmont. Mmm Ferrara is in Piedmont. I've been there.

Amy from ST has stayed there, so there may be reviews. I have had email contact with Toni over the years and I know she really cares about her places. And I have heard good things about them.

Amy from ST has stayed there, so there may be reviews. I have had email contact with Toni over the years and I know she really cares about her places. And I have heard good things about them.
Yes, I read Amy's reviews. I've sent a query. She only has 3 places and of those only 1 looks like it would suit. It's my birthday so I want a nice place with outdoor seating.
I think it's between Piedmont and Tuscany. It's only a week.

I can't believe I've gone from not going to a frenzy of planning. After your post about picking up a car in Chiusi, I'm lening towards Sant' Antonio if there is room.
Did you spend much time on the property itself or were you in the car driving to go for a hike?

I had an afternoon swimming at Sant Antonio, and a morning walking on the estate (Nico has a 2km trail that he uses for his runners), and another afternoon sitting out in the sun reading. It is a nice place to relax. There are lots of outdoor places to sit. It is so close to so many places that you can easily go out touring for half a day, then be back on the estate for some time.

If you do end up at Sant'Antonio that last week in May, get in touch! I'll be there with my friends then. If I were you I'd JUMP at the chance to spend a week at Lake Como! I've never been, but it's on my list.
Chris,
We've rented from May 30th for 1 week. Is that when you are there? Or is it the week before. I would love to get together. Maybe Pauline will decide to come as there will be such an interesting group. And an avid walker (me)1

OMG, I've just spent hours looking for accommodation around Lake Como. It seems we're hitting high season. Many decent places are already booked! I've looked in Bellagio, Varenna. Maggio. We won't have a car and Ron will be staying at a retreat in Bellagio after our w/e together. may 22-24. Honestly, am glad booking Sant' Antonio was so easy as am pulling out my hair.
Just thought I'd share:)

Lisa, I wonder if you are bumping up against some of the millions of folks flooding that region for Milan World's Fair? Expo 2015! Starts May 1st.

My landlady in Roma was wondering out loud last year, what kind of impact it may even have on increased visitors to Roma this year....

May 1st? I'm going May 22nd. It's jut incredible. Fisrt of all it's High Seaon and that begins May 1st and goes to June 3oth which I thought bizarre. Prices jump. And then every place that looked good was booked or didn't get back to me. I have finally booked a place but got the last room.
I wanted something a little special as my birthday.
World,s Fair. I better check dates. We have to book a hotel in Milan a well.

Well, Heidi may be right. Milan World Expo: May 1-Oct 30th. Should be interesting. Well, we're booked in Varenna at a small locally owned place. Last room. make me even happier am not staying in Bellagio as that will be a zoo. Unless always this busy in May.
The Fair looks interesting but think we'll give it a miss.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina