• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Provence Three weeks in Provence, March 2015

Galgano

100+ Posts
In March and April 2015, Cheryl and I had a three week holiday in Provence, two weeks river cruising from Bucharest to Budapest (an d a side trip to Prague), and a week in Madrid. This is the French report. For two weeks, we stayed in Kathy and Charley Wood's fantastic apartment in Bonnieux https://bonnieux-apartment.com/

Sydney to Marseille

Marseille, France

Mar 20, 2015

I’m a slow learner, however I at least attempted to put a positive spin on the 33 hours in transit from Sydney to Marseille. At the 27 hour mark, I’m still hanging in there, sitting in the waiting room at Charles de Gaulle airport for two hours before the TGV leaves for Marseille. Cheryl’s patience is a given, so that’s why this is a personal statement.

Despite queuing behind 100 Japanese school kids going through immigration, taking off 30 minutes late because the codeshare meant that they were overbooked and were offering people overnight accommodation and upgrades and seats that are getting narrower and closer together every year, we both managed to nap and doze for 6 to 8 hours of the first 14 hour leg. In my case, I deliberately didn’t switch on the inflight entertainment and two hours in, worked hard at dozing.

Ches obviously didn’t get that much quality rest, as in Abu Dhabi, when she decided to check
her e-mails and Facebook, she asked me how to spell a French word and how to post a comment in a Facebook thread. As most will attest, my spelling isn’t a strength and French non-existent. As for Facebook, bah humbug. Actually, I responded correctly to both but that’s not the point, the point is that she actually asked me.

Abu Dhabi was a middle of the day flight, however all windows shutters were closed as most people were transiting from Australia or the east and most slept for a good part of the 7 hours. We had three seats between us so plenty of room to spread out.

Paris on arrival at 1.30 pm was 7c and very misty. Not exactly spring weather and we hope Provence will be better. We walked the km or so to the TGV station to collect our tickets and decided to share a ham and egg baguette. Station food in France is on a par with Australia however even a mediocre baguette here is better than at home.

I brought 500 gms of coffee from home. A number of people thought I was mad.
Based on past experiences, I wouldn’t think of taking coffee to Italy as I’ve never had a bad one there, France is hit and miss but largely miss and Germany makes Starbucks taste great. My first Cappuccino (admittedly at the station) was a shocker. No espresso machine, and it turned out to be muddy and bitter on top and milky on the bottom. The Italians would say it was typically French, no barista and indifferent quality coffee.

Coffee in Marseille was no better and I can't wait till we get to our apartment this afternoon to make my own.

The weather forecasters in France must go to the same university as the Australians. We watch the TV forecast this morning (Saturday) and they said rain in all of France except Provence. We made it out the front door and then retreated for a change into weatherproof clothes and an umbrella. Yes Marea, I did look out the window.

The map was next to useless. We tried to walk to the old port. Instead we did a huge loop and ended up back near the station w*** Marseille, we bought a filled baguette and some pastries and retreated to the hotel for a coffee (see above). As soon as I complete this blog entry, we are going to pick up our car and head off toward Mausanne les Alpilles where we have a cottage for the next week.

We have no idea about internet contact for the next week but hopefully we can find somewhere to post updates here.

Last edited:
The Real Provence

Maussane-Les-Alpilles, France

Mar 21, 2015

Marseille was completely inhospitable this morning. If anyone can assure us that there are any must see's in Marseille, you have three weeks to make a case otherwise we will give it a miss.

I had bought TomTom maps for France, so we had no problems picking up our hire car (a Peugeot 308) and driving the hour to Maussane le Alpilles. Hertz have a newish policy that you have to bring your receipt for petrol when returning the car or they charge you for a full tank of petrol. They varied it in our case; it hadn't been cleaned and only had a half tank of petrol ... not a good start.

In drizzling rain, we made our way to Maussane le Alpilles which is the center of the main olive oil producing region in France. I say this is the real Provence because Marseille, while the second largest city in France and possibly the most cosmopolitan is such a contrast to everything more than 20 km from the coast.

On the way, we passed a derelict farm house. In it's day it must have been truly spectacular and pretentious. The dual sweeping staircases at the front of the house are only usually seen at the front of chateau and in this case, completely out of proportion. They were almost the complete width of the house.

What a surprise is Maussane les Alpilles. I'll post photos when the weather is better. The main street through the middle of town is a couple of kilometers long and only wide enough for two cars to pass traveling slowly. We were amazed at how many restaurants, boulangeries and patisseries there were as we followed Tom's instructions to our cottage.

Our hostess speaks no English and Ches had to phone her to let her know we had arrived at the electric gate. She hung up on the first call and Ches called her again 5 minutes later. This time her son, who has a little English answered. He sent mum around to meet us, open the gate and take Ches on a tour of the cottage issuing instructions and advice. It was all French to me.

By this stage it was 1.30 and Ches asked about lunch in town; "tout de suite" was the answer. I think that meant "pull your finger out",but my French is non existent.

We've arrived at Italian restaurants/cafes at 3.00 pm and they have served a seven course meal for lunch when no one else was there except us. In France we've had the door slammed in our face at 1.30 when the place was half full.

Cafe de la Fontaine, along with 6 or so other restaurants, have seating inside as well as in the square. The waiter dodges traffic between the restaurant and the collection of tables huddled under umbrellas, with the rain drizzling down and the gas heaters fighting a loosing battle against 9c. Cafe de la Fontaine had around four couples seated and all others were deserted and the waiter welcomed us and went to a lot of trouble to find a table close to a heater and without rain splashing our legs.

There always has to be a 1st lesson to be taken when in France. It seemed like a good idea to share a "sausage for entree and then a vegetable soup for Ches and Filet Mignon de Porc for Gavin. A 250 gm salami and half a baguette wasn't what we expected and then following that with a huge bowl of soup and another half baguette and the pork dish was far too much. We brought half the salami home for dinner. The pork dish was probably the most interesting. Cooked in a stock with root vegetables "sous vide" , it was served with chips (that puffed up and were hollow; have no idea how they do that ... but brilliant), and the vegetables in a small bowl of the stock. Perfect on a cold wet day.

Around this point, seated with my back to the heater, I reflected on the name Cafe de la Fontaine and said to Ches "I wonder what happened to the fountain?". She just pointed over my shoulder at the massive edifice that is the fountain!

By the time we finished at 3.00, we realised that all the shops would be reopening at 3.30, so we dashed home to unpack the car. Back in the main street at 3.45, we checkout the minimart for basics (milk etc), the Traiteur for cheeses and pate, and one of the Boulangerie for a seeded baguette and Paris Brest (choux pastry filled with coffee cream and icing ... OMG).

Parking is typically French. Sections of the footpath have painted blue lines which designates parking. No matter which direction you are traveling, you aim the car at the blue, mount the curb and switch off the engine ... you're parked. I was.

Ches decided that "nesting" was called for, so we returned to the cottage to unpack into the very generous dressing room so that we have actually moved in rather than just camping for the week.

Watched Ireland demolish Scotland and Half of the English French test, spent an hour trying to connect to the internet using French instructions, had a light dinner and fell asleep in front of the TV.

Maussane les Alpilles to Avignon

Avignon, France

Mar 22, 2015
1548274163996.png

We began the day with a walk along the main street to buy bread at the boulangerie. Despite being 7c, I still walk in shorts, but not the purple ones that set the tongues going in Chablis all those years ago. Provided by upper body and head are well covered, I don't seem to feel the cold in my legs, and the French deserve to see my legs!!!!

As it's so overcast and drizzly, all the photographs look rather bleak. Actually the fact that the stone used to build the houses is a creamy grey also doesn't help.

We start the day with the TV news. As usual, we watch the images and make up the news story. Looks like elections coming up soon and Paris is introducing driving restrictions with number plates and type of service vehicles restricted to alternate days as pollution is a major problem. The weather is easier to interpret, cold and wet.

We decided to visit Avignon in the afternoon and Ches planned the rest of the week. This means she can control the pace of the week, rather than let me try to cram everything in to the 5 days.

Thank god for Tom. There must be 30 roundabouts between here and Avignon (take the third exit), and the mass of roads outside the walls would have been in-penetrable. Apparently the road death toll in France is around 3,500 per year, and its easy to understand why. We were tailgated at 110 on a 90 section of road and then overtaken on a bend and he had to be traveling at 140.

Tom took us in through Port de la Republique into the main street and there was a kerbside parking spot just a couple of hundred meters in. Despite the weather, there were quite a few tourists, so getting an easy park was a bonus.

I had declared that I wouldn't be buying any shoes or shirts on this trip. I now have two new shirt, purchased just 200 meters from where we parked the car. This is not a good sign. I'll have to drink the 500 gms of coffee I brought from home to get them home under the luggage allowance.

We walked some of the back streets around the main square and then decided to have a tea and pastry while checking the guidebook to orient ourselves. Given the weather, we decided to limit ourselves to walking up past the Palais des Papes and Notre-Dame des Domes (the cathedral) to the Rocher des Domes (the gardens). We were struggling to keep the umbrellas from blowing inside out, and it became even more difficult for Ches to hold one over me while I tried to photograph. We managed some bleak shots of the famous Pont St Benedict, that's the one only half way across the Rhone River, and the castles on the other side.

Ches tells me there wan't any dancing on or under the bridge as it was the haunt of prostitutes and pickpockets.

As we walked back toward the town square, there is a lane down beside the Palais des Papes. Seated at a bend in the lane was a chap playing an accordion; very French. I decided to use the movie function of our new camera. In the best tradition of my father, I filmed with the lens cap on.

It was now late afternoon, so we decided to head for home. Tom let us down ... kinda. He instructed us to bear right when it should have been left, which I observed in traffic that was moving to fast to cut across. From this point on, he wasn't entirely to blame as despite the fact that we had only just bought the TomTom France maps, there are sections of new roads and car parks that obviously aren't included and Tom didn't have a clue. No more than 5 minutes of swearing did the trick and we found ourselves swinging past the turnoff missed the first time. Not the second time.

Back home, the closer it came to dinner time, Ches became less inclined to cook. We decided on the seafood restaurant next door to Cafe de Fontaine, which is owned by the same people.

We were seated in leather club chairs and waited on by a young guy with limited English but the determination to help us decipher the extensive menu. He really had patience as Ches tried to explain the menu to me. Like Chinese whispers.

Eventually we decided upon sharing a platter of shellfish; oysters from two regions, mussels,
clams, prawns and sea snails. Served on a massive bowl of salt, we observed that with the Camargue only 15 km away, there is no shortage of salt. Everything was fresh and still had the tang of seawater.

For mains, Ches had duo of prawns and scallops. Actually, make that singular "prawn". The biggest prawn we have ever seen, half way to the size of a lobster. Delicious but not a rave from Ches. The waiter was adamant that Ches have the French Fries. We realised later that in reviews we had read, they made a point about how bad the french fries were. They are still overcooked and soggy.

I had the fish soup. I guess this is halfway toward a "Bouillabaisse". Two types of firm fleshed fish, mussels, potato, fennel and a prawn. Wonderful!

Given the bread rolls and sliced bread served with every dish, we now know how this town supports 3 Boulangerie.

Ches just interrupted the journal to ask if I wanted cheese in my baguette with the pate. This is Brie de Meaux. $$60-70.00 a kilo at home and $20.00 here. No thank you, I'll have the cheese unadulterated please.

When we finished eating, the couple at the adjoining table introduced themselves as Germans who have a holiday house in Paradou. The sign announcing that you are leaving Maussane is beside the one welcoming you to Paradou. I guess the two villages have all but merged. Maybe one postcode is more revered than the other.

This couple are retired and live in the Black Forest in Germany. They had just returned from two months diving holiday in Thailand and Malaysia. They had also been to Laos and Vietnam but wouldn't drive there. I wouldn't drive anywhere in asia, so we were in awe.

We walked home and were asleep by 10.00.

1548274287202.png1548274314212.png

Saint-Remy-de-Provence and Les Baux de Provence

Mar 23, 2015

We've slipped into Ches's idea of holiday mode ... a very slow start to the day. We didn't walk into town till 8.00. Purchased some lamb chops for dinner and other necessary items such as Fig Jam and a baguette and some croissants for breakfast. We found that they were pumping out the sewage pipes the full 2km length of town. Now there's an experience you don't include in your travel/holiday itinerary. Given the street is barely wide enough for two cars to pass, they close the street as they start a new section and the traffic is diverted through the back streets. Apart from just once having to doge the back spray out of one of the manholes, the only impact on us was that when we finally set out at 11.30 for the short drive to St Remy-de-Provence, our street was closed.

Tom (Tomtom satnav) was thrown by us ignoring him and working our way to Le Paradou where there is a goat track that cuts across country to the Le Baux-de-Provence road. We passed by La Baux and headed to St Remy-de-Provence. Only 15 minutes away. Apparently the Grimaldi's once owned the town, as they did Le Baux, and Caroline stills slips in quietly to get away from it all; whatever "it all" is.

It must be stunning in summer with all the Plane trees in leaf. It must also be fairly prosperous as there was restoration work going on all over town. I made the mistake of passing by the tourist information office and driving into the middle of town to park. When we realised we didn't have a map of the town and the guide book was useless without a map, we walked back to the "i" only to find it was 12.35 and it had closed on the dot of 12.30, as you do in this part of the world. At least there was a map on the wall that identified Place Flavier where there are the two oldest renaissance building in the town. Both are now museums and of course they were closed. That wasn't an issue however as we mainly wanted to take in streetscapes.

We wandered the back lanes, all quiet during this siesta hour or two. Just out of town on the way back to Le Baux, there are two of the most significant Roman monuments in France, so we decided to head there and have the baguettes Ches had made up for lunch. Then again, Ches needed a loo stop, so we pulled into the tourist info. carpark.

I don't know what it is about us that attracts the con artists everywhere we go. As Ches returned to the car, this guy came up to my window and said that we had to pay the parking fee, of 1E for 3 hour parking. We said that we had only stopped for 3 minutes. He said the place had cameras and that it was enforced. He said we needed to get a parking permit ticket form a machine in the building over there. To cut a long story short, and even I'm getting bored with the retelling, he planned on mugging us, as the machine was a cash card. He had hoped that Ches would go to the machine and when I went and then refused to go along with his con he didn't even follow me back to the car.

A km up the road we stopped at the Triumphal Arch and "Mausoleum" This used to mark the
end of the road from Arle and the entrance to Glanum. The archaeological dig at Glanum was closed however I don't think we missed much. In fact it's something of a contrast. Glanum was one of the most Roman settlements from 100 BC to 260 AD. Originally a Celtic settlement with a strong Greek influence, the Romans seized it and the Franks destroyed it 360 years later. The people moved and founded St Remy.

Apparently its existence only became known in the 1920's and today it's little more than foundations. Contrast that with two large marble structures 100 meters away. Apparently the former is supposed to be most significant of roman sites in France and hard work and requiring an imagination to visualize the villas and forum while the Triumphal Arch and Mausoleum obvious. This was a day for the obvious.

From here the road winds up and into and over the Les Alpilles and to Les-Baux-de-Provence. Get this, all road signs are happy to drop off the "les-Alpilles" and just say "Maussane", but always Les-Baux-de-Provence. Arrogant in the middle ages and arrogant today.

Listed as one of the most beautiful villages of France, it has a lot going for it even on an overcast day. I suspect that few people still live in the village as most buildings are shops. I looked it up, there are around 400 compared with 3,500 in the mid 1700's. I guess there was less tourism then and more rape and pillage. This was probably at the time that the Baux finally acknowledged the French king.

There is little parking and mostly on just the one side of the mountain road that winds around the base of the village. We paid the 5E at a meter, climbed up through the town and I do mean climbed and then paid another 15E each to enter the Chateau. A reminder, "chateau" in France really mean defensive castle, even if later chateau looked more like palaces or massive country homes. In this case, Chateau means a castle built into and on the rocky peaks of the mountain. Most of the rooms built onto the inside of the rock are now gone and only the foundations and scars on the rock left to mark where they were. There are staircases to clamber to the top of the twin castles and the views are spectacular. The castles were originally joined however the mid section now gone, it is bitter when the mistrals (from Switzerland) blow through the gap. Cold but not bitter for us.

We spent so long clambering around the chateau that we only had time to walk back through the town and around the top road to a cavern where they were having the final 5.00 pm show of http://www.carrieres-lumieres.com/. The new show starting in March is the art of "Michel-Ange , Leonard De Vince and Raphael". Their spelling not mine. They have dug a massive cavern with rooms and pillars onto which they project the images while a musical soundtrack makes conversation impossible; a visual and aural feast. I filmed it using the new camera and the reproduction is fantastic.

We decided that because "Les Baux" is so close, we will return in the next day or so just for the village experience. There also seemed to be a lot of shops selling table cloths and bed coverings and I think Ches has a motive.

We weer so tired when we returned home we were both heading to bed by 9.30

p.s.
We decided to buy a bottle of wine at the local minimart, just for a glass or two over any dinners we have at home. I specifically wanted to try a local wine and as we are only 15 minutes from Les Baux-de-Provence, I bought a Hauvette, Le Roucas for 26E
Two days later we discovered that until recently, Rose was the main wine in the region. The way forward in blended reds has been due to Doninique Hauvette. This area produces the majority of France's olive oil, but were glad there was enough room for Doinique.
1548274894183.png
1548274926410.png
1548274953989.png
1548274973808.png

Sete, France

Mar 24, 2015

There was just one similarity to a day we spent in Italy in 2002. The weather wasn't similar. Today was overcast and eventually rainy.What was similar was that we drove for 2 hours to have a lunch in a renowned seaside port. In Italy we drove to Porto Recante on the Marche coast for one of the best seafood experiences in Italy. Today we travelled to Sete (pronounced "Set") for a genuine Bouillabaisse.

Sete is the last working fishing port in France, it is also a major port for the export of sunflower and rapeseed oil and the import of Algerian gas and wine. To steal a line from our guidebook, if one of the gas tankers goes off it would take out the town and the wine is only marginally less dangerous. Anyway, back to Sete later .....

We set off at around 10.00 and decided that we would visit Abbaye de Valmagne around 20 minutes north of Sete. This involved around 45 minutes on the E15. The E15 is the main motorway in from Spain running diagonally up to Orange where it connects to the A7 up to Paris. Get the idea. Lots of trucks. Lotsa trucks and cars traveling at 130km if on the speed limit and obviously faster because it is France.

OK, going down wasn't too bad and we instructed Tom to take us to Meze first. Why? Because Tom knows where every Abbaye in France is located except Abbaye de Valmagne. Meze is 8km due south of the Abbaye, so we figured it would be signposted. Not so much!

Meze is located on the northern shore of the vast saltwater Bassin de Thau. Sete is located on the Mediterranean side, on and around Mont St Clair which stands out in the middle of the flat coastal plain. The Bassin is chokers with oyster and mussel farms. I mean chokers, Like all small towns and villages in France built before the car, most streets are now one way and Tom barely had time to draw breath between instruction to turn. I had enough breath to swear and in frustration in trying to find any signage for the Abbaye, Ches and I had our first little tiff. Just a little one. There was a sign. And a long way along a very narrow road, another one. Over the hill and there it was across the fields. It is vast..... and it was closed for the winter.

We drove around looking for a vantage point to at least photograph it, and in the end had to settle with stopping in the middle of the road back across the fields for a distant shot.

oh well, on to Sete.

This town was only established in the late 1600's and has always been a gritty town. It is most notable for having absolutely no monuments or historic sites. Like Pisa, they have a festival that involves jousting in boats on the Grand Canal, but that's it. As I said, it is built on and around Mont St Claire, and they dug canals to make easier access from the Bassin de Thau to the sea. We drove in along one canal for a couple of kilometers and there were thousands of small runabouts and skiffs moored along the bank. I suspect every resident owns a oat and they say that they use to boats to do the shopping.

The Grand Canal is something else again. Massive trawlers are moored along the banks and it is lined with restaurants and cafes. Amazingly, there are large underground car parks below the canal, and as we couldn't find anywhere to park above ground, ventured down the narrow tight turning ramp. No problems Level 2 Pink. Ches still noted every sign above ground to make sure we would find the entrance again.

It was about 1ish so we decided to seek out a restaurant. Le Grand Bleu. What a good choice. We decided to share a dozen oysters and a Bouillabaisse. The oysters were around twice the size of a Pacific and tasted fantastic. Ches had a Rose while I had Picpoul Superieur (Coteaux du Languedoc). Quite acidic on first sip, but then after the first oyster wonderful ... made for each other. Just like the Verdicchio in Marche is made for seafood.

There was a 30 minute wait for the Bouillabaisse to be prepared, which was just as well. Then out it came; eight fish and two potatoes on a platter, a tureen of soup (fish stock) and a platter of croutons, grated cheese and tubs of rouille. This what you had in mind David?

Well we did our best, however one and a half fish and the potato remained on the platter when we surrendered.

A walk along the Grand Canal as the misty rain began was all we could manage before we tried to also drop in to Frontignan and drive the coast toward the Camargue in the hope of seeing the Flamingos.

It was 3.00 and drizzling as we got lost in the narrow streets of Frontignan. By chance we came upon a tourist office and they directed us to some tasting rooms. I don't know why I thought that the fortified wine, "Frontignac" from Rutherglen was the same. "Muscat de Frontignan" is a sweet unfortified wine. 7E seemed to be the top price for any bottle. We bought a bottle, as well as a Valmont de Peronny Chateauneuf-du-Pape. L80.00 in the UK and just 23E here in France. Can't wait to try it.

Tom couldn't handle any of the routes along the coast and the likelihood of seeing Flamingos was fading fast, so we decided to head for home. Just as well we did. The traffic on the E15 was horrendous. Trucks and cars in fading light and increasing rain made it a very uncomfortable drive home. At least we had now mastered the toll booths; take a ticket when entering the toll plaza and insert it and a credit card when leaving at the other end. Easy. Just don't want to do it many more time this trip,

No dinner tonight. Just a cuppa. Seriously, we may not eat till lunch tomorrow.

p.s.
When we had our holiday in Sancerre in 2005, we visited the village in which a French classic was written and where the author had grown up. It was published in 1913 and he was killed in WW1 in 2014. I bought a copy but never got around to reading it. Being in France I decided it was time.

Le Grand Meaulnes (pronounced: [lə ɡʁɑ̃ moln], French for "Meaulnes the Great") is the only novel by French author Alain-Fournier. Fifteen-year-old François Seurel narrates the story of his relationship with seventeen-year-old Augustin Meaulnes as Meaulnes searches for his lost love. Impulsive, reckless and heroic, Meaulnes embodies the romantic ideal, the search for the unobtainable, and the mysterious world between childhood and adulthood.[1]
1548275326265.png
1548275363114.png
1548275381965.png
1548275407510.png
1548275441365.png
1548275326265.png
1548275363114.png
1548275381965.png
1548275407510.png
1548275441365.png

Uzes and Pont du Gard
Mar 25, 2015

The temperature today was 7c from 8.00 am to 2.00 pm. It nudged 8c at 2.00 pm and hit the high of 9c at 5.00. Most of the time it felt like 4c (that's from the weather bureau's website). At 5.00, just as it peaked at 9c, Le Mistral blew in and Ches was almost blown off her feet coming out of the "fruit and legume" shop in town. That's the wind that blows the ears off of donkeys. The wind that the 17th-century Madame de Sévigné described as "bitter, freezing and cutting"

Speaking of donkeys, the Saucisson d'Arles we had at Cafe de la Fontain on Saturday and had to bring half home, that's the famous Donkey Salami.

When we walked back from town this morning at 8.30, all the mums arrived dropping their kids off at school. We haven't seen many SUV's on the roads around here but there at 8.30, there were dozens of them. What the.....

An interesting thing happened overnight. Ches woke up declaring that she didn't want to visit any more large towns. This echoed what I had said yesterday as we returned from Sete. I suspect she doesn't include Aix--en-Provence in that as she hasn't forgiven me for not stopping there in 2000. She did and does include Nimes. Despite there being many Roman attractions, I couldn't face the traffic.

It also occurred to me that if we aren't going to Nimes and we are going to miss out on seeing Abbayes that are closed until April or later, it's not much point worrying about what we don't see. We can't see everything and its pointless regretting what we miss.

With that thought in mind, we abandoned the day we had planned. Well, not Pont du Gard. As it remained firmly in the plan, we did a quick check of our guidebook and map and decided on the 55 minute drive to Uzes and then work our way back home via Pont du Gard. What an inspired decision in several respects. Uzes was a wonderful surprise and by the time we stopped at Pont du Gard it was the only hour or so all day when it wasn't raining.

Tom decided to have an off day as well. He started adding in exits on the roundabouts, A goat track counted as a road and "take the 3rd exit" had us going in the wrong direction. He must have done this three or four times and when I told him off, he responded by saying "Go left on the roundabout...." and then silence. Eventually he just stopped giving us instructions and I had to reactivate his voice for the return journey.

All of this didn't help Ches as she is having a hell of a time sitting in the passenger seat. She keeps thinking she is in the drivers seat and wants me to drive more to the left of my lane. She flinches and exclaims whenever I get close to the verge or more particularly the gutter. When I suggested that tomorrow she should try sitting in the seat behind me in future she said she wanted to give it a try.

One of Toms errors had us driving through Beaucaire and Tarascon (twin towns on the Rhone River). We had represented a US publisher called Tarascon and I'd always imagined that it would be a pretty town. Apart form the castles that challenge each other across the river, neither town has anything going for it.

We arrived in Uzes (OO-seh) at 11.55. The traffic was diabolical in the narrow one way streets and when we untangled from a jam where two streets merged, we missed the entrance to an underground carpark. " w***" really loudly. 100m further on in the main street, there was a parking spot at a meter. The machine suggested it was .50 for 15 minutes. Ches dived into a pharmacy and asked for advice. .50 per 15 minutes but in 5 minutes time it will be free from 12.00 till 2.00. That's why the traffic jam, everyone's heading home for lunch.

Despite the drizzling rain and cold, we collected a map from the tourist info office and set off to see the 22 highlights. We probably only saw 10 of them. What we did see was a town unspoiled by tourism.

Pardon my Wikipedia:
Originally Ucetia, Uzès was a small Gallo-Roman oppidum, or administrative settlement. The town lies at the source of the Eure, from where a Roman aqueduct was built in the first
century BC, to supply water to the local city of Nîmes, 50 km (31 mi) away. The most famous
stretch of the aqueduct is the Pont du Gard, which carried fresh water over splendid arches across the river Gardon.and like many cloth-manufacturing centers (Uzès was known for its serges), the city and the surrounding countryside were strongly Protestant during the Wars of Religion in the 16th century, which wreaked havoc in Languedoc. Numerous of the city's churches were trashed and burned by furious Protestants: only two remain today. I copied these entries so that I could explain that the protestant cloth merchants became so wealthy that they built staircase towers onto their houses. In fact, several hundred years ago it was said that the French would travel to Umbria to see a town with such an admirable skyline when they had their own and ignored it.

One of the buildings is really interesting in that they demolished all but a section of a wall and built the circular staircase against it, leaving the rough edges on the outside where the circular section is attached.

Just a pause to say that at 8.30 pm here in our cottage, the wind is howling around the windows.

By 1.00 we were frozen rigid and luckily settled on a restaurant, Vieux Cafe d'Aniathazze on
Place Albert 1er, the main small square, just down from where we had parked our car.

Great local atmosphere and we had the Plat du Jour which at 15E consisted of a large steak, french fries as bad as at Bistrot Marin the other night, and two mini bowls of desert (Creme Brulee and a crumbly cheesy one that we just can't identify) and finally the best espresso I've had in France. Great value.

We now suspect that french fries in the south of France are always soggy.Probably because they are so close to Italy where they haven't got a clue about cooking potatoes except for gnocchi.

We left for Pont du Gard at 2.00 with Ches expecting it would be a brief stop and that we would be home by 3.30.

I don't know why I had always thought that it would just be standing in the countryside and that there would be a viewing platform or somewhere to stop on the roadside. I should know better. Large car and bus park, large tourist center with movies, exhibitions,cafe's etc. $18E for parking and admission for two, A walk down paths lined with olive trees etc curving to the right until "BANG" there it is towering over the river valley above us.

I guess the Pont du Gard has been the one site in all of the south of France that has captured my imagination forever. This might be the highlight for me. It is just spectacular. The Pharaohs may have built pyramids a thousand years earlier, but that was just stacking block of stone on top of each other and the Chinese may have built the Great Wall, but again, that was just building a wall. For engineering, nothing could surpass the Pont du Gard.

The amazing thing is that it is just an aqueduct. Just an aqueduct? Well ,it isn't a monument or a palace or a temple, just a means of transporting water. The Romans had a significant town in Nimes and a water supply, however the water wasn't fantastic. More to the point, at Uzes they discovered a spring that produced very good water. What to do, you build a 50km long viaduct to transport the water. Of course you do. Not only is it a visual spectacle but amazing that it was built in 5 years. When you want fresh water you want it now. The other observation I made was that the Romans in building infrastructure, didn't cut corners or do it on the cheap. They built infrastructure to last forever, no use by date, no urban or rural regeneration required.

We walked across the roadway at the base and then climbed the staircase on the other side of the gorge in the hope of finding a vantage point. We climbed and climbed till we came to the top of the aqueduct. There the stone steps finished and we saw a narrow dirt track off to the north. A hundred yards or so along, we met a couple of American women who said that a little further along there was a great view of the aqueduct. Was it ever. Absolutely amazing, and I made Ches walk up the slope to where I was standing before she turned around. Bang, there it is set against the gorge and the flat plain to the south.

So much for Ches's early afternoon. We didn't get home till 5.00.

1548275810978.png
1548275825354.png
1548275837788.png
1548275868575.png

A Windmill, another Aqueduct, an Abbaye and Arles
Mar 26, 2015

The Mistral was still howling at the windows and doors when we woke up around 6.30. Who cares, it has blown all the rain and clouds away and the sky is blue. With a blue sky we can cope with anything.

We took our morning walk into town and bought soup for tonight's dinner. I photographed the town again because there are now blue skies to set off the creamy stone of most of the buildings.Now all the town needs is for the Plane trees to be in full leaf and it would be stunning.

We set out at a leisurely 10.00ish. First stop just a few km.down the road is Alphonse Daudet’s windmill known also as "Moulin Saint Pierre" (Saint Peter’s windmill), one of the few left in Provence.

Not only had we decided that Nimes was just too big a town to visit, we even had doubts about how much time we wanted to spend in Arles. As it eventuated, probably more than we ended up with. Instead we decided to take our time visiting some small sites where we didn't expect to see too many other tourists.

We were able to tilt at Saint Peter for ten minutes or so before a couple of small groups arrived. Actually, the majority of tourists we have come across are French couples around our own age, so it would seem that the grey nomads of France also elect to holiday out of season, with their dogs.

Set on a very rocky headland above the very pretty town (Fontvielle), it is high enough to catch any wind. The sails have be stripped of their canvas covering and fixed in place but still quite impressive.

Next came a real challenge; where would we find the two Barbegal Roman aqueducts and the remains of a Roman mill near the intersection of the D33 and D82. Actually, I have just provided a better description of where to find them than any website or travel guide we have used. Traveling from Fontvielle south on the D33, you turn left at the D82 and its just a couple of hundred meters where you have to park on the side of a very narrow country road in the middle of olive groves. No special car park and not much signage other than the one standard brown roadside sign back on the D33 saying "Aqueduc". No arrows or any help to find it or them. And therein lies another complaint; this site is relatively small compared with Pont du Gard but in many respects no less significant.

Here is what the travel guides should tell you, apart form where to find them like I had done above. There are two aqueducts running side by side, parallel with the D33. They merge when they meet a massive rock where one channel is carved through the rock for some 20 meters and then on the other side there is a steep slope down the rock face. On this slope are the remains of the 16 flour mills.

Wikipedia at least helps with this description:
The mill consisted of 16 waterwheels in two
separate descending rows built into a steep hillside. There are substantial
masonry remains of the water channels and foundations of the individual mills,
together with a staircase rising up the hill upon which the mills are built.
The mills apparently operated from the end of the 1st century until about the
end of the 3rd century. The capacity of the mills has been estimated at 4.5
tons of flour per
day, enough to supply bread for as many as 10,000 of perhaps 30-40,000 inhabitants of Arelate at that
time. It is thought that the
wheels were overshot water wheels with
the outflow from the top driving the next one down and so on, to the base of
the hill. The archaeological museum in Arles actually has models of the complex and there is a suggestion that this was a major industrial complex that wasn't matched again until the Industrial Revolution in the late 1700's. When not grinding grain it could be used to saw timber and stone.

So, not as spectacular as Pont du Gard but in terms of engineering, just as awe inspiring.

Surprisingly, there must have been thirty or so Muslin French with backpacks and hiking sticks taking a break on the site of the mills. Apart form them, probably only a couple of other groups arrived in the half hour or so we spent there.

The next challenge was beyond us. Were pretty sure we know where the four Hypogeum of Castellet are, but we couldn't figure out how to get to them. The wire fences along the roadside didn't appear to have a break or gate and we gave up after trying to find it before and after our visit to the Abbaye de Montmajour.

The Hypogeum are neolithic burial chambers. Three on one side of the road and one on the other hidden in scrub on the rocky outcrops. Apparently you have to climb down into narrow holes in the rock to access them and given I had to be tranquillised for my MRI last week, I don't think I missed too much.

Again, we later found that all the artifacts from the tombs are on display at the Arles archaeological museum.

200 meters away is the Abbaye de Montmajour. This massive benedictine abbey was built between the 10th and 18th centuries on an island (make that a bloody big rock) surrounded by swamps. As the swamps were drained and turned into farm land, they must have become more exposed to attack, so they built a tower for defense, right over the monks graves that had been dug into the rock.

The entire structure is built on this massive rock base, so my question was, how did they affix the stone blocks to the rock to form a foundation. Did they just chisel the rock till it was level and then fix the first stone block with mortar (lime, soil and water). O.K., so our house has no foundations and just sits on a bed of clay that rises and falls with the rain, so a castle or abbey built on a bloody big rock isn't going to rise and fall, but then again, this one has a tower so high you'd think it would have to be perfectly vertical so as not to topple sideways.

What's with all this fascination with engineering? Too late for that career choice ... mercifully for most.

The most significant feature of this abbey is that the monks were buried in the rock itself. Basically holes were chiseled into the rock, wide at the shoulders and narrow at the feet with a semicircular section at the top for the head. I guess they then lay a slab of rock over the top. Today, all that is left are these holes cut into the sloping rock and as I said above, the top section has a bloody great tower built above it, so they really are entombed for all time.

We climbed the tower and wandered the abbey with The Mistral howling around our ears.There are no signs of fireplaces or any heating in the entire abbey. I can't imagine how cold it must have been in winter.

It was 2.00 before we made it to Arles. Fortunately I found a parking spot right beside the walls; however it was a couple of km to the tourist office and then about the same to the Arena. That wasted half an hour. Almost everything was closed except for the cafe directly in front of the main entrance. A prime location. The up side was that it was a sun trap. The downside was the waiter. There were no other customers waiting to be served and it took 25 minutes to order, be served and eat a piece of burned toast with grilled ham, tomato and goats cheese.

We had purchased a multi pass ticket. Individual entries are around 7E and for 9E we could enter any number. That's if we could get to them before they closed.

Well, was proved correct again when I say that major monuments are better observed form a distance, not from being on or in them. In the case of the Amphitheatre, the interior was fully filled with metal seating (ready for the bullfights which begin next week). It was however a reasonable advantage point to photograph the surrounding town. Even so, we were in and out in 20 minutes. The same for the Theater, however we did stay long enough to sit facing the stage and contemplate that our "butts" were in contact with a seat that someone had sat on 2,000 years ago.

Ches had suggested earlier that the Archaeological Museum would be the highlight, and so it proved. Here we saw the artifacts collected from the Hypogeum; lots of arrow heads etc. but also bracelets and jewelry, all from the neolithic era some 10,000 BC.

It's only when you visit the museum that you appreciate how significant Arles was as a Roman city. Not only in terms of public buildings but in its commerce and cultural life.

Apart from a mini-colosseum Amphitheatre (probably a third of the size), and the Theatre, it used to have a circus. That's a 450m long track separated by a wall down the middle with obelisks at either end. Built for horse and chariot racing as well as occasional cavalry fighting or animal hunting, it could seat 20,00, about the same as the Ampitheatre. It was built on swampy ground with thousands of timber piers to support it (similar to the foundations in Venice). At the end of the empire it was stripped of most of its stone, as was the top tier of the Amphitheatre,

The Theatre was built around 100 years before the Amphitheatre, just a stones throw away. I made the observation that culture was fine for a hundred years and then they wanted blood & gore. We also visited the Baths of Constanine. There is only a small section left today as much of it was torn down and the stone used to build houses that hem the remains in. Still enough to appreciate a culture that provided a vast bath house where men and women of all classes could meet before the evening meal and bathe and socialize.

The two most recent additions to the collection in the museum are a magnificent bust of a young Julius Caesar and a 31m long shallow draft barge. Apparently the Romans just disposed of their rubbish by dumping it in the river here in Arles, so they are finding all sorts of amazing artifacts these days. In the case of the barge, it more likely capsized and sank. It was used for transporting rough cut stone blocks for building. The stone was quarried 6km north of Arles and had to be transported down the river to either Arles or even the Camarge. Going up the Rhone required around thirty men to tow the barge with ropes. No harness (the Romans didn't think of that despite their amazing technology), just thirty men with ropes slung over their shoulders towing the barge upriver. Coming back down they had the current and a large oar for steering. Possibly turning in to the bank, the boat took in water and sank. Only discovered in 2004, it is now restored and and a new wing built on to the museum to house it.

Unfortunately they were looking to close the museum when one of the attendants who had some English joined us and gave us a 15 minute tour to the exit. When he showed us the models of the 16 mills we had seen in the morning, we suddenly had an appreciation for what we had seen. There is also a large room with relaid mosaic floors. Absolutely stunning.

Arles supported Caesar in the 4 year civil war with Pompey and was rewarded by Caesar with trade preferences and many of his legions given land. Virtually all trade between Gaul (France) was conducted through Arles. No wonder it was known as the "Little Rome of Gaul"

We had planned on a quiet day ahead of Ches's birthday trip to the Camargue and Aigue-Mortes tomorrow but it hadn't turned out that way.

1548276295452.png

1548276315369.png
1548276331944.png
1548276353434.png
1548276370143.png
1548277298164.png

The Camargue and Aigues-Mortes
Mar 27, 2015

Because yesterday was such a "big" day, we decided to make a leisurely start and after the morning walk in to town for bread etc, we set out at 10.30 for the one hour drive to the wildest eastern side of the Camargue. The Camargue is western Europe's largest delta. 820 sq kilometres of which 1/3 is either lakes or marshes.

It is the home of a wide variety of birdlife, the most famous being the flamingos which certainly were a hit with Ches. She could have spent all day just sitting and watching them, when we eventually found them. Tom had difficulty finding most of the very small settlements down the eastern side and we fell back on our "AA Road Atlas of France" that is now very worn after 14 years of service. Even using this, some of the names were in such small print we should have brought a magnifying glass.

Once on the D36B (I think) or C, after Villeneurve (which you could blink and miss), the road was more potholes than road. We managed to hit most of them. The wind was howling and there were mostly wetlands on either side of the road. Suddenly, three pink flamingos .... a couple of hundred metres away. Persevering to try to get photos that won't be blurred as the wind buffets me. The same 200 metres further on when there are around 30 or so, 400 metres away ... pink dots among the choppy water.

Another couple of hundred metres and there is what looks like a tourist office and wildlife park. Apparently this is paradise for Birdwatchers. What's the plural, Twitters or Twitterers? It didn't look too inviting and when we asked what we might see, she looked in the visitors book for the morning and said the names of maybe three birds. Apparently Twitterers record the birds they see. Given that we would only be able to record, "very small, small, medium or large" with colour, and there are 340 varieties of birds, we decided it wasn't for us. She did however advise that on the western side, there was a refuge where they fed the flamingos and therefore we could expect to see more of them and closer up.

Once back to Villeneurve, the road across to the west is very well paved and an easier drive. Only the occasional white horse and bull to see and drainage canals on either side of the road suggest that this might be where there is some agriculture, including the famous Camargue Red Rice.

It was probably around 1.00 when we arrived at the reserve. Bloody hell, talk about telephoto lens envy. The place was crawling with Twitterers all lugging cameras with lenses that could photograph the surface of the moon.

Does size really matter? Not to me when the Flamingos are all withing 10 to 100 metres away. There must have been many thousands in around 10 flocks and I photographed every one of them, but didn't note their names. I also videod extensively. You must come to our flamingo night when we return.

When we were parking the car, the police warned us not to leave anything in the car. Now, that sort of general warning is given throughout Provence however I suspect the large gypsy population of the Camargue might warrant special care.

There is also a strong Spanish influence. I'm not sure about why or how long it goes back.

We eventually left the park to drive to Aigues-Morte, and arrived at 2.30ish. Along the way, plenty of the famous white horses and black bulls, bred for both the bull ring and their meat. Both are actually quite small. The bull fighting season starts in Arles this weekend (hence all the seating erected inside the Amphitheatre yesterday). I had thought is was less bloodthirsty than Spanish bullfighting, but apparently not so. Arles is only allowed to continue with it because there is an unbroken history of bullfighting, and it now ever attracts female fighters who ware skintight costumes. Now that doesn't sound like tradition.

I guess it's because of the time of the year however we found a parking spot just outside the main gate. Paid parking, but at 9.50E and we were going to be there till 10.30 pm at least, worth it.

Most of the commercial operation in Aigues-Morte are in the streets just inside the main gate and in the streets around the Place St Louis. Basically, all the restaurants and shops are in the northern corner and that leaves the rest of the town, enclosed in the walls built in the 13th century and 1.65 km long, as residential.

We shared a baguette filled with ham and Emmental cheese .... it was so simple but so good, while we sought out the tourist office and the one public toilet. Success with the first but not with the second. We returned to the cafe near the entrance where I ordered a coffee so that Ches could use their toilet. While waiting, Carolyn and Glen from Melbourne introduced themselves. They and two other couples bought a mobile home which they garage in Surrey. Every year they have it for three months to travel Europe. Good points and bad and unlikely that Ches would ever agree after experiencing a Uniworld cruise.

As the walls (ramparts) close at 5.00pm, we decided to walk them first and explore the town between 5.00 and 7.30 when we were booked for dinner at "Le Particulier"

Apart form beginning at the Constance Tower which Louis 1V built in 1248 and has six metre thick walls, almost every wall has gates or towers with an interesting story. Two of the most interesting are a section where two windmills were built in the 17th century and and Tour dela Poudriere, where in 1431 during The 100 Year War the Armagnacs attacked the town and killed so many defending Bourguignons that they dumped their bodies in the tower and packed them in salt. True????

We were having a leisurely walk of the walls when come 4.30, the attendants who had begun walking the reverse direction on the walls, told us we would have to leave as they were closing at 5.00 In France, that means the gates are locked at 5.00 and the attendants go home. They walk the reverse direction sweeping all before them and by the time they get back to the entrance it is 5.00 and there isn't a tourist left. It's almost German inits efficiency. Our choice was to walk with them back around the ramparts or have them let us through a gate over one of the entrances to descend to the street inside the walls. The latter was our option, and Ches walked around the inside to do some shopping while I walked the outside to photograph.

I found her coming out of a shop 30 min later. As she still had shopping to do, I took up residence at a table in Place St Louis with a beer ... or two, and watched the world go by. While there were a few tourists also have a beer, there were as many locals. France is in the middle of local council elections and a battle between the far-right National Front and all other parties. Later when going for dinner at 7.30, there was a rally in Place St Louis. Now there is a contrast; a political rally in front of a statue of Louis 1V and beside the Church of Notre-Dame-des-Sablons, built in 1514 (Yes, that's 500 years ago)
Along with a name change -- they are now called “departmental”
and not “cantonal” -- the upcoming elections are giving the French a new way to
vote. The ballot will be ‘binôme’ – with tandems consisting of two names. Each
tandem will have a male and female candidate. This new rule to elect both a man
and a woman is a push for greater gender equality in the departments. In 2011,
less than a quarter of first round candidates were womenWith our house about to be repainted, Ches found a shop selling ceramic house numbers. Our current ones are Italian, bought in 2000 in Lucca and these ones have the Provencal lavender motif. If I can salvage the Italian ones, they can go on one wall and the new ones on the other.

At 7.00 we returned to the car for one of the more interesting exercises of the week. Ches had brought a change of clothes to wear for her birthday dinner and the only place to dress was in the car. Picture this, Ches with her jeans off and attempting to put on her slacks with two different cars consecutively parking beside her window while people held conversations through open windows. All's well that ends well and we arrived at the restaurant in style.

We were greeted by Alexandre and his wife (I'd emailed that it was Ches's birthday). There was only one other couple dining and we all had the degustation menu. No menu, just at the chefs discretion. As Alexandre explained to Cheryl later, food has to have a story and a good end result. This explains part of the "amuse-bouche" and the desert; red cabbage. In the former, pickled and in the second sweetened with sugar and frozen. His mother always sweetened red cabbage when no one else ever did. For Ches, a memory that my mother always added apple/sultanas to sweeten red cabbage.

We had a leisurely meal with lots of small portions of seafood and beef and a desert platter of 7 bite size pieces and a small bowl of original old style ice-cream .. that means lumpy and uneven texture. That's a good thing. Ches's was served with a sparkler.

We headed home at 10.30, negotiating numerous roundabouts in the dark and little help from Tom. Ches was afraid to nod off to sleep as she normally would.

1548277603195.png
1548277621056.png
1548277635268.png

Moving from Maussane to Bonneaux
https://bonnieux-apartment.com/

Mar 28, 2015

There isn't going to be a lot to report today. After the 1 hour + drive home last night from Aigues-Mortes, it was a late night, a busy morning packing up in Maussane-les-Alpilles and 1.5 hours drive to Bonneaux.

We didn't leave till after midday and what with a stop at the tourist information office in St Remy to report the mugger earlier in the week, and an aborted stop at the only major supermarket in the Luberon, which had closed 5 minutes earlier, we arrived in Bonneaux and haven't done much except unpack all our luggage,familiarize ourselves with the heaters and the kitchen and plan some meals, do some shopping at the local minimarket and boucherie and do some cooking.

Actually, we did do a final walk in to town in Maussane to buy a baguette, some brioche
( which they cut off a massive loaf beside the till) and some duck pate to put on the baguette for lunch.

Get the drift? Today is about food.

Several times this week we have bought a Fougasse Aigues-Morte for breakfast. Gotta make it when we come home .... just occasionally.
Fougasse
Aigues-Mortes· 20 g of fresh baker's yeast (or 5
teaspoons of dry yeast baking, mixing directly with the flour)·
150 ml of milk·
500 g flour T45 or T55·
1 teaspoon salt·
80 g + 80 g of sugar to finish·
3 eggs·
100 g butter + 50g to finish·
5 tablespoons of water (or flavor)
orange blossom·
roasting pan or large baking sheet·
pastry brush (optional)
Warm the milk in the microwave or in a small pan and crumble the yeast. Attention milk should
not be too hot because it would kill the yeast (you have to dip your finger without getting hurt).
Add a pinch of sugar to activate yeast. Mix and let stand 10 minutes until bubbles appear on the surface.
In a bowl, mix the flour with 80g sugar and salt.
In another bowl beat eggs then add the yeast / milk mixture.
Cut 100g of butter into pieces and let stand at room temperature.
Add the liquid mixture to the flour.
Put on a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes.
The dough should be slightly sticky but not too much. If it sticks too much
flour on your hands to help you knead. Then mix the butter to the dough
and knead again for 10 minutes.
At the start the dough will be greasy and slippery but that's normal. More you knead, the more it will become homogeneous.
Form a ball with the dough and place in a large bowl. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap
and let rest 1:30, if possible near a heat source (radiator ...).
Degas the dough by kneading briefly so that it returns to its original size.
Place back in the bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, remove the dough from the refrigerator and leave a good half hour at room temperature.
Cut a sheet of parchment paper the size of your roasting pan or baking sheet.
Degas the dough and place on parchment paper.
Spread it in a fairly large rectangle with a rolling pin.
Slide the dough on roasting pan or baking sheet.
Let stand for an hour, still covered with a damp towel or plastic wrap.
Cut 50g butter into small pieces and push with your thumb around the dough.
Sprinkle with 50g sugar, 30g reserve remaining.

Bake at 180 ° C for about 20 minutes (the top should be golden).
Remove the fougasse from the oven and help to spread the butter over the entire surface by tilting the dish or using a pastry brush.Then spray the 5 tablespoons of orange flower water (or
more if you like) and sprinkle the remaining 30g of sugar.
The rosewater forms a custard center to the bread. It's addictive. Not sweet but light like a brioche.

When we were in Chablis in 2005, we took a cookbook by Sarah Leah Chase called "Pedaling Through Burgundy Cookbook" I used a number of her recipes and they were fantastic. I could't steal a download of her "Pedaling Through Provence Cookbook" before we left and here we are in Bonneaux and there is a copy here in the kitchen.

First cab off the rank tonight for dinner is:
Pork and Apricot Ragout (page 152-154)

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 ounces pancetta or bacon diced*
2 pounds lean pork, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1 medium onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups dry white wine*
2 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons slivered fresh sage or 1 tablespoon dried, crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots

Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or large stew pot.
Add the pancetta and cook until crisp, 6-8 minutes. Remove from the pot with a
slotted spatula and set aside to drain on paper towels. Add the pork to the fat
remaining in the pot and sear until browned on all sides, 5-7 minutes. remove
from the pot and set aside temporarily.

Add the onion and garlic to the pot and sauté until softened, 2-3 minutes. Pour
in the white wine, and then stir in the tomato paste to blend well. Season with
the sage, salt and pepper. Add the seared pork and any accumulated juices to
the pot. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/4 hours.

Add the apricots to the ragout, cover again, and continue simmering
for another 30 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle the ragout with the
reserved pancetta. Serve hot. You can also add pitted olives but we didn't.

She suggested we serve it with "Rose Rice", so we are (its cooking while I write). It all takes around 1 3/4 hours to cook and I've had a Leffe Blond and am working my way through a bottle of Chateauneuf-du-Pape with a little help from Ches while we wait. It's likely to be a dead heat between the bottom of the bottle and the bottom of the pot.

Rose Rice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, minced
1 cup minced fennel bulb
1/1/2 cups of Camargue Red Rice
2 cups of dry rose wine (AOP Luberon)
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste.

1 Melt the butter over medium heat in a large squat saucepan. Add the onion and fennel and saute 5-7 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat.
2 Pour in the wine and chicken broth, bring to boil and then simmer, covered for 25 minutes or longer till all the liquid has been absorbed. Fold in cheese and fluff rice with a fork, season with s&p.

The Chateauneuf-du-Pape is winning.

No, dead heat.

1548278347038.png
1548278383731.png
1548278417432.png
1548278443564.png
1548278465884.png
1548278486229.png

Last edited:
The Oppede Loop

Bonnieux, France

Mar 30, 2015

The Oppede Loop (Lacoste, Abbay St-Hilaire, Menerbes, Oppede-le-Vieux). This is one of Bob & Sue Winn's recommended day trips from their book "Provence Byways:Guidebook to the Luberon Region of France". We will be taking at least 5 of their trips in the next 11 days.

I should also explain that we are staying for two weeks in Kathy & Charley Woods apartment here in Bonnieux. We have never met, but exchanged messages at Slow Travel for many years. Kathy actually put us on to a cottage in the grounds of Chateau Creancey where we stayed in 2005. It was fantastic.

Their apartment here in Bonnieux has two bedrooms, bathroom, small lounge room, large fabulous kitchen and a sundeck facing down the main street and across the countryside toward Lacoste. It is well furnished (bed amazingly comfortable and pillows that actually work) and stocked with everything you need and everything you didn't realize you might need (rubber bands). It's also close to the best restaurants in town and all the shops (boulangaries, boucherie, Utile, presse (newsagent) , galleries and boutiques Ches is yet to explore. Just about perfect.

Daylight saving started her last night. That meant that this morning we were only 9 hours behind Sydney time. Come next weekend when daylight saving ends in Australia, we return to a 10 hour time difference. I could get jet-lagged all over again.

Because we were staying close to Bonnieux today, we weren't n any hurry to get started this morning. There are two Boulangeries in Bonnieux; brothers I think. We weren't overly impressed with the one just down the street from Kathy's apartment, so this morning decided to try the other one. It is no longer on the street above the apartment and just up from Utile (minimarket). It is now around 200 metres down the street from his brothers, 100 m from the apartment on the way to the new church.

We were spoiled for Boulangeries in Maussane-les-Alpilles, and the one in particular that we adopted had a fabulous range of breads and pastries. Bonnieux's are pretty average, which is surprising given that this is the home of the "Musee de la Boulangerie" It reopens for the season on April 1st.

Anyway, we bought bread and pastries at the newly relocated Boulangerie and it will remain our regular. Ches actually bought a "donut". She's always had a thing about the doughnuts of her youth. Whenever she sees them (in Rome and anywhere), she cant resist buying one to see if it is as good as she remembers. It never is, and is always a dissappointment .... but she keeps on trying. FINALLY, at last it is. That means a "donut" a day I think. "A donut a day keeps Chessie at play"

It was now so late that we made up half a baguette with tomato and terrine and another half with pate, and had lunch before we left at 12.45.

It was only 8km or so from Bonnieux to Lacoste. Now this is specifically for your benefit Jenny .... Half way there, the views of both towns across the countryside is magnificent. I pulled into a driveway, set up my tripod and attached a telephoto lens. Now Ches said that it was 20 minutes later that I returned to the car. I reckon it was 5, perhaps 10 minutes at the most. Ches exclaimed that if I took this long to photograph the towns and countryside, we'd never make it to the four sites. She fears for how long it will take to do the longer "Loops" later in the week.

We drove on and up into Lacoste. Fortunately I'm able to photograph on the move, so we walked the streets of this very pretty town. Apart from some kids, teachers and mums at the primary school, some guys at the only cafe and a couple of locals in the street, we didn't see any tourists and had the streets to ourselves. The Savannah School of Art and Design are one of the American colleges to have set up a school in the town, but we saw no sign of activity.

Now, this is what I loved most about Lacoste, at the top of the hill looking down on the town clustered at its feet sits a Chateau. It is partially restored and probably an on going project. Built in the 11th C, it became known as Chateau Marquis de Sade after de Sade took refuge there in 1771. It belonged to his grandfather, and he had to flee Paris because of his erotic writings and loose morals. Guess who is responsible for restoring it? Pierre Cardin.

On to Abbay St Hilaire. The Winn's directions were OK as far as getting us to the dirt road that leads to the abbey. From that point on, Tom didn't have a clue and neither did we. There was a sign pointing to a car park however the erosion in the track was so great we were in danger of loosing the car in a ravine. I pressed on and climbed up into the car-park. There was no sign of a path to the abbey, nor any sign of the abbey. Back down from the car-park and a hairpin bend to get on the dirt track going down the hill. if another car is coming up, they will have to back down because there is no way I can back up. There are more potholes than road. 100 hundred metres or more and we come around a bend and there it is. Probably enough parking for 10 cars.

Only now when reading about it online do I discover that it only reopened for the season, this last weekend. It has been privately owned by the Bride family since 1961 and they have been restoring it ever since. Rene and Ann-Marie Bride are both buried next to the alter, Anne-Marie having made it to 100 yrs and dying in 2012. Just reward you would think.

It was built by the Carmelites on the site of an even older hermitage in the 12th and 13th Cs. This place really needs to be seen rather than described. Built with it's back to the hill we had driven down, the hillside around and below is terraced. There was a spring that fed a reservoir to water the gardens however it may have run dry as there was no water in the reservoir and no sign of running water anywhere.

I guess that it is so small also gives it that special something. Everything you would see in a substantial abbey but on a miniature scale. Small central courtyard with just two arch cloisters, small watch towers, small church.

It looks out across a small valley to the mountains (Petit Luberon). Very tranquil.

As we drove back up the track, again in danger of destroying the suspension, Ches observed that having only paid 2.5E each into a honour box, every cent they raise goes into the abbey and non is left for the road.

Every road between towns is surrounded by vinyards, stone fruit orchards and who know what (its still early spring and fiends are largely plowed and the vines have't even shot.).

Manerbes is confusingly described by the Winn's. They said is was like a ship and that you walk the long main street to the cemetery and then return. We found numerous streets, one of which took us up to the top where there is a privately owned small castle and from the edge we could see the back of the village, which is some respects was more pretty than the front. It's a fully restored town, very pretty but nothing special to make it stand out from the rest.

Cheryl only told me as we were leaving the town, that it did indeed have something that made it stand out from the rest. It has the worlds only corkscrew museum. Over 1,000 corkscrews and many of them erotic if not pornographic.

What made it special for us was that Tom made a massive blunder and when leaving to drive to Oppede-le-Vieux, took us into the main street which had been turned into a pedestrian mall. A couple of locals walking toward us pointed out the error of our ways however when we explained where we wanted to go, just waved us on. Basically, they were saying "You've already made the mistake, so why not just go on now rather than back up and find and alternate way" We did.

Oppede-le-Vieux is not to be mistaken for Oppede and Tom only knew about the latter. Opede is the newer town and Oppede-le-Vieux the medieval one built at the base of and up the mountain. We followed signs, which is never a good thing. First time in a big arc around the countryside we missed the entrance to the car park by "that much". 10 minutes later we made it. Because its all one way, we had to do the circuit all over again. The attendant wasn't on duty (probably because the season hasn't yet begun" That saved us 2E.50. Don't get excited, they got the money later.

There is a terraced garden with paths poorly signposted and half the staircases closed for repairs. 10 minutes or more later we made it over the hill and into the village. I had been suggesting a coffee and pastry break for the last two villages and with a sun trap out front of the villages only cafe, Ches relented. God I wish she hadn't. Here's where they got their parking money. A coffee and Perrier cost 8E.10. THAT'S $11.35. I think the extra 2E was for the sun.

We hadn't been going to walk up to the ruins of the chateau however we just kept on walking onward and upward and there we were. We didn't enter however, as the guidebook warned that it was unstable underfoot and that some of the paths were inches form shear cliffs. The walk however was definitely worth it. Fantastic street-scapes and views down on the village. Some of the original houses consisted of rooms around 10m by 10m cut into the rock and then bricked across the front with a window and door. The one I photographed through the window even had a fireplace with a chimney cut through the rock above.

The walk back was not so good. Not a sign pointing to the car-park, paths taped closed and on several occasions we contemplated me jumping off a terrace and then having Ches climb on my shoulders to get down.

Back home we had a drink out on the terrace where the late afternoon sun was peaking in under the roof. Some Camarge Red Rice and new season white asparagus, a drop of red and we were ready for bed.

Aix-En-Provence, France

Mar 31, 2015

Despite my having no understanding of French at all and Ches having been a French teacher ... a long long time ago admittedly, I have no difficulty with pronouncing Ex-en Provence, Ches can't move on from Ay-en-Provence. She had lots of practice today.

The phone alarm didn't go off, so we were late in leaving for Aix-en-Provence this morning. In 2000, I had sailed past on the motorway on our way to Italy. In response to Che's question, I replied that "no, I hadn't planned on stopping". She has reminded me about this for 14 years. You know, a brief stop on the way to Italy would have been a waste of time. Even the 7 hours we had wasn't enough.

On leaving the car park I had immediately turned right heading toward the wide flat valley heading toward a perceived motorway. Tom made up his mind a minute later; "turn around as soon as possible" The reality was a drive up through the town to the mountain behind and then a 10km drive on narrow mountain and gorge roads that was testing to say the least. With a speed limit of 90kmph, we were luck to reach 60. The locals had no trouble with 90 and we were constantly dodging cars and trucks in both directions using up all of the center of the road when it was barely wide enough for two without scraping the walls or dropping into a ditch.

I hadn't looked at our road map before leaving and still didn't till we returned home. It now seems that we will have to retrace this route on two more days when we drive to Cassis and The Pays D'Aigues Loop. We may eventually achieve 70kmph with practice.

We were still amazed to find that it didn't take any longer than the forecast 1 hour. Then we struck the traffic entering Aix on market day. We had told Tom to direct us to the Tourist Info. office and I observed that this might mean we would end up caught in the middle of the city with nowhere to park. 90% of the traffic were taking a left hand turn but Tom had us going straight ahead. I then decided that if we came across any parking within 1km of the final destination, we would grab it. We grabbed it 100m short of the destination, right in the middle of town, 200m from the clothing market. Naive or foolhardy, fortune favors the brave?

I know we probably didn't see or experience many things that others have when in Aix, however as we had decided a week ago, we aren't going to worry about that. The best we can do is to live in the moment and we did that for 6 hours.

Ches's immediate reaction was that Aix has a "Paris" feel about it. Cours Marabeau is a wide boulevard (mini Champs-Élysées) and off it are a maze of narrow streets and lanes with various squares and fountains, 5 of which host markets on Tuesdays. Apart form the clothing market, there is a kitchenware and bits & pieces square, three food markets and a flower market.

Ches went shopped for gifts on Cours Marabeau before we made our way to the food markets. Against all odds, I was allowed to buy some tiny new season brussel sprouts. They will be cooked with some diced Pancetta Fumee. Yum! Cheeses, Tomme de Chevre (I'll let you know abut it Lee), Brie de Meauk (it was oozing) and Cantal. We also bought four saucisson (Duck, Donkey, Fumee and Herbes des Provence), Asparagus, baby radish, a round zucchini, lavender honey, rabbit thighs and Galettes de Pommes de Terre.

It was 12.30 by the time we finished, so we walked back to the car and put the food in the boot (we had taken along a cooler bag with ice bricks). Once again we headed back up through the back lanes and streets in search of a sun trap cafe/bistro for lunch. So had every other tourist in Aix. Discounting the occasional table in the sun where the wind tunnel defeated the sun, we ended back up at Plac des Precheurs (where we had bought most of our food). They were still packing up the stalls and the only cafe on a sunny corner was packed with locals. We ended up eating inside at Bar Astoria. Ches had fried Mozarella Salad and I had Croque Monsieur.

I'm getting a feeling there is a theme developing here. Toward the end of lunch when we looked at the guidebook and map to decide where to go next, we found that Plac des Precheurs was established opposite the Palais de Justice for public entertainments such as executions. It was also where they burned an effigy of the Marquis de Sade and his valet when they were found guilty of sodomizing prostitutes in Marseille.

We wandered the streets, window shopping. I have a problem; I only saw two pieces of clothing that I really liked. On both occasions so much that I checked the prices. 180E for a knitted top and 200E+ for a pair of trousers. So much for my taste.

I guess the highlights for us were Place et Fontaine de la Mairie with its 1756 fountain, town hall, corn exchange and Astronomical clock tower (time, phases of the moon and wooden statues that change with the seasons.) That now makes three of the major Astronomical clocks we have seen; Strasbourg, Prague and now Aix.

I still cant explain why my favorite site in Aix was Place et Fontaine D'Albertas. Baroque and Rococo, completer in 1745 , in the style of royal squares in Paris. On reflection, I know what it was; on both occasions when we passed by, it was uncluttered and the lines of all buildings are so clean and there is the contrast between restored and weather worn.

We had walked our legs to stumps, and therefore headed home at 4.00. When transferring from one motorway to another on a big loop, police on foot stepped into the road in front of us and I pulled onto the left verge. It appears he wanted the guy behind me for speeding (must have had radar spotting and radioed ahead to stop him. That's fine, but it left us stranded in no mans land and it took forever for us to get back on to the road. And home we went. An hour after we got home we had decided to cancel tomorrow. Well, maybe just a short loop in the afternoon.

Lourmarin, France

Apr 1, 2015

We were both about worn out after yesterday and as we were planning a long day driving to Cassis on the coast 1.5 hours away, we cancelled. It turned even more windy overnight. The shutters were shaking and the lid on the chimney flapping. I woke twice during the night, the first time finishing reading Le Grand Meaulnes. Written by Alain-Fournier and published in 1913, he was killed during the war in 2014. It is regarded as a modern classic, however while almost every child in France reads it when it school, few read it as adults. In the English speaking world it is largely read by adults ... older adults.

The fishmonger set up in her trailer this morning and was almost blown away. From 23c yesterday, as I write at 5.30 pm, its 12c (feels like 6c) and the wind at 42kmph. That's how it is reported daily. Always the feels like temperature. It never got over 14 today.

We eventually decided to take one of the loop trips close to home. We never got any further than Loumarin, 12km away. The Chateau didn't open till 2.30 so we wandered the old town for half an hour. Once in the Chateau, we didn't want to leave.

Originally a 12th Century fortress it was rebuilt as a castle in the late 1400s and 30 years later a new wing added. The significance is that the first building is very much Medieval and the second Renaissance. The contrast is dramatic, illustrating how dramatically architecture changed in the space of 30 years.

Every room and every courtyard was stunning. One of the best historic buildings we have visited and largely because it is so understated in terms of presentation.

It was a ruin in the early 1900's when an industrialist bought it and began restoration. He was killed in a car accident in the 1920's and he bequeathed it to the Académie des Sciences, Agriculture, Arts et Belles Lettres under condition that it should be transformed into a trust, which would support young artists.

Part of the support of young artists is that in summer, the oldest part of the Chateau is turned over to artists in residence. We think that is starting around now for the summer season. There is a piano recital on Saturday evening (Bach, Mozart, Chopin,Granados, Bartok and Brahms) and we've booked seats.

I'm posting lots of photo in place of a description. If a picture saves a 1,000 words, you should be grateful.

At 4.30 we headed home where Ches cooked our Rabbit. Based on Sarah Chases's recipe for Rabbit & Prune's, we went with Rabbit and Apricots. She sauteed the diced smoked pancetta, then sauteed the eschallotes and garlic, then browned the bunny bits, added them all together and included the apricots then covered with frontignan and chicken stock. Slow cooked for an hour then added baby potatoes for another 15min. YUM! Served with new very thin spectacular asparagus.

2.1427942321.1.jpg
2.1427942321.medieval-wing.jpg
2.1427942321.renaissance-wing.jpg
2.1427942321.recital-room.jpg
2.1427942321.kitchen.jpg
2.1427942321.the-old-town.jpg
2.1427942321.medieval-courtyard.jpg

Cassis, France

Apr 2, 2015

I'm starting to get the hang of Slowtravel again. No more trying to visit four or more villages each day. Even if they are only on a 30km loop, it can be tiring trying to allocate time in each village and keep moving to a schedule. From now on, we'll decide which of the villages or sites has the greatest allure and spend most of our time there. Maybe pass by the others for a photograph however unless there is something unique, no stopping.

Today really rammed the lesson home.

Ches had been overwhelmed by the perfume shops in the various duty free stores. Perfume was to be my birthday present to her. I had searched online trying to find somewhere in Provence where they might make a perfume to order. Grasse is regarded as the home of all the "parfumeur createurs" and is just too far away, not surprisingly in the mountains north of Nice and Monaco. Kathy sent me a link to a conversation at TripAdviser in which people had recommended L'Eau de Cassis in Cassis. We decided to give it a try and set out with no great expectations but prepared to give it a try, perhaps spend a little time there and then drive back to Silvacane Abbey (near Aix).

A leisurely breakfast when we fried our galettes that we had bought in Aix. We should have shared one however one each sustained us well till lunchtime. We didn't leave home till just before 10.00 for the 1.5 hour drive to Cassis.

Gudge and Richard, this is for you. The 12km drive from Bonnieux to Lourmarin starts with 2km driving up out of the village and across the top of the mountain. The road is about wide enough for two cars provided you're happy to loose your side mirror because you don't want to be the one to give up the middle of the road. You can also drive fast enough to satisfy any French driver following you. Then there is the 5km descent into the gorge. Galston Gorge on steroids. No section is straight for longer than 50m, so its 2nd gear all the way. Here you do frustrate the French who figure that accelerating for the first 30m of each stretch is obligatory. Once in the gorge, its 5km of road that is wide enough for 1.9/10s of a car, winds so tightly that on one bend I estimated it turns at least 300 degrees. Because its flat, the French want to overtake anyone doing less that 60kmph and I'm only capable of 55 at a real pinch. On the way out, I'm on the river side with a 1m high retaining wall, so only in danger of taking out Cheryl's side of the car. Last week she seriously considered sitting in the back seat behind me. On the return journey, I'm close to hitting the cliff face that rises vertically beside me and I cant see a thing around any bend. This is where I chicken out and break to crawl around the bend just in case there is oncoming traffic, cutting the corner as they love to do.

It;s a great way to get the adrenalin pouring out of your ears.

Everything after this is a breeze including a merge onto the motorway when a steel grey haired matron refuses to accelerate and merges at 70 onto a 130kmph motorway. You shoulda see the ducking and weaving of at least 6 cars trying overtake and undertake her before being mowed down by traffic already traveling at 130.

Then, just to make life difficult, the tool booths refused to accept our credit cards. You take a ticket on entering a toll road. When exiting, you choose from around 15 booths to pay. Some are automatic for those with e-tag, some just for credit cards and some just for cash. We chose credit card, tried all four of Cheryl's and all four of mine. Traffic behind had to back out of the lane. Press the button and wait for someone to come and take the cash and release the gate. OK, at the next one, it's E1.10 on entry because its the one that goes straight in to Cassis so no ticket required. Ches decides this is a good opportunity to get rid of her small change, so I'm trying to feed 1c and 2c coins into the slot. The machine is rejecting hem and I'm dropping every 2nd one trying to slide them from my palm to two fingers to insert. I'm too far from the machine anyway, so I open my door to reach further. I take my foot off the break to twist and reach further and the car starts to slowly roll forward. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't say anything. Yeh right.

Once again Tom takes us in to town and tries to have us turn into a one way street. Fortuitously the way we do turn leads to a carpark.

It's barely 100m to the main street and square and another 200 to the harbour. It was love at first sight and the adoration at first smell.

We waled down to the harbour and out to the beach and beginning of the breakwater where the tourist info. office is located. With map in hand and the location of L'Eau de Cassis marked, it took us no time to begin the perfume adventure. Ches had anticipated that it could be quite lengthy and suggested I take a hike. I wanted to be part of it, so in we went. There was only one shop assistant and no other customers. He was young, smartly dressed ... Ches says "what do you expect, he is French"

Here's the really impressive thing, with limited English, he enquired whether Ches preferred floral, woody or fresh. Ches thought woody. He sprayed liberally onto a testing blotter, waved it vigorously and passed it to her to smell and explained the ingredients. To cut a long story short, and get to the funny bit quicker, he asked questions and narrowed it down to two other perfumes. From there he transferred to the floral end of the counter and zeroed in on Miss Cassis. Jackpot! Ches sprayed on her wrists and because she has found that some react against her skin, we decided to walk around for half an hour before deciding.

Half and hour later we returned to buy 100ml. One of Cheryl's all time favourite movies that she watches every Christmas is "Love Actually". I can't believe that this guy hasn't modeled himself on Rowan Atkinson. He produced a carry bag and shook it open with a flourish and placed it on the counter. He then selected a sheet of tissue paper, sprayed it four or so times and shook it, lay it on the counter, produced the perfume with a flourish and placed it in the center of the tissue paper, gathered the four corners above the box and lifted it into the carry bag. Taking the two red ribbons attached to either side of the carry bag, he extended them (with a flourish) and tied a bow before hand it over. It had to have been choreographed.

At this point, I went off to photograph the life out of the town and Ches went window and "real" shopping" I joined her is "real" shopping a little later and we ended up with some very smart summer gear and gifts.

We walked the waterfront restaurants and selected a sunny table out of the breeze that was freshening and ordered Moules & Frites. For an hour or so, we watched the passing parade, worked our way through massive bowls of mussels, the local Cassis wine (white) and finished with a shared crepe (sucre & citron). By this stage we had abandoned all thoughts of the abbey on the way home and spent the rest of the afternoon wandering the laneways and harbour. Very late in the peace, we decided to drive to the western headland to see the Calanque (very narrow inlet in the cliffs). Tom couldn't handle the road closures for street works in one of the wealthiest little enclaves in the region and when we tried it on foot, couldn't decide on which way to go. We abandoned the idea and decided for home as it was now close to 5.00 pm.

At this point I fess up to including a couple of photos that I didn't take. The first is of the Calanque and the second is of Montagne Sainte Victoire. As we were driving up the motorway this absolutely spectacular mountain range was spread out before us. For my part, it was one of the most spectacular natural wonders I have seen. Perhaps not on the scale of Uluru or the Grand Canyon, but beautiful enough for Cezanne to make it the subject of numerous paintings. From the motorway, the view is more spectacular than hundreds of photographs I have looked at on the internet. The great white mountain range extends from one horizon to the other directly in front of the motorway. No way to stop and photograph it.

By the time we arrived home the wind had blown up to 50kmph and we had to park in the bottom carpark because the market will set up in our carpark tomorrow morning. Almost blown off our feet as we walked up the wind tunnel streets to the apartment. When we met up with two Australian's on Friday, they told us that in several years living 3km away from Bonnieux, the past week had been the worst weather they had experienced. More of them later.

2.1428034764.chateau-above-harbour-cassis.jpg
2.1428034764.cassis-main-beach.jpg
2.1428034764.east-of-cassis.jpg
2.1428034764.harbour.jpg
2.1428034764.chateau-above-harbour-cassis.jpg
2.1428034764.moules-frites.jpg

Bonnieux Markets and town walk
https://bonnieux-apartment.com/
Bonnieux, France

Apr 3, 2015

Not a lot to report of for today. It was the day of the Bonnieux markets so we didn't plan on going anywhere else.

Ches contributed to the local economy with as much vigor as she normally applies when in New Zealand. She shopped with serious intent and execution for many hours. Food barely got a look in as clothing etc claimed her attention.

After lunch we took the walk up to the top of the village; to the old church and beyond. On the way back we decided to take the tour of the Musée de la Boulangerie. It displays a period bread oven and bread shop, not so much different than what you see in today's small boulangeries In a 17th-century house, the museum explains the history of bread, from Roman times through Medieval and the French Revolution. Explained is the entire sequence of bread making, from the agrarian civilizations and their farming equipment, through the milling to the distribution. It is packed full of wheat harvesting and processing machines, baking equipment, documents recording ordinances regarding manufacturing and sale of bread, advertising posters and an original 17th century oven. Even without the language, this was a fun museum.

Around 6.00 we had a visit from Jenny Lamattina and Jonathan Hawley.. Jenny runs accommodation websites and Jonathan travels all over as a motoring writer. They were both based in Victoria till 6 years ago and since then have lived in Paris, the Loire valley and for the past two years, have been caretakers of an olive grove a couple of km from Bonnieux. With the property booked for 4 weeks in September, they are looking for somewhere to stay and came to look at Kathy and Charley's apartment.

We showed then the apartment and then went to their favourite bar which is just up the street from the apartment. It is very close to the Utile (the minimart) that we frequent often).

Speaking of which, sorta. On our second day in Bonnieux, a large dog laid a very large **** in the middle of the street on the way up to the Utile. It lay there for three days and like a Chevre Crottin that shrinks as it ages, the Mistral reduced it to the point that it blew away when the wind hit 50 kmph on Friday

Back to the bar. It is set up like a lounge room in a home. Large tables with dining chairs around them, lounge chairs and couches around coffee tables and a small bar with whatever wines are open sitting on the bar to buy by the glass. Jonathan introduced me to his favourite Pastis, which is a Luberon one with many more herbal characteristics than the Marseilles one I had bought. I can understand the appeal on a hot summers day.

We sat in the bar and chatted for a couple of hours. They told us about dining at a restaurant and seeing Ridley Scott and Rusty's name in the booking sheet. That's Russel Crow. The guy that came to plow their olive tree terraces said that he had watched a Souths game with Russell and Ridley at Ridley's estate. Everyone who's anyone is buying up estates in the Luberon and even the name Van Damme recently appeared out front of an estate being restored/renovated.

They came unstuck however when making a booking at a restaurant when they new Ridley Scott had also booked, they booked in the name of Russel Crow. The staff knew it was a joke, however when they arrived they made a big seen welcoming Monsieur Crow in front of Ridley Scott.

Jonathan is a motoring writer and travels the world test driving and reviewing cars. Jenny said that the Loumarin road is still a challenge and recently she said to him, "no your not are you?" as he had finally decided on a section of road where he figured you could overtake. So, it take two years to achieve what the French learn to do from birth. Defying all logic, the death toll per 100,000 inhabitants is 5.6 in Australia, compared to 4.9 in France. How is it so? Someone is fudging the statistics. Lies damn lies and statistics.

We spent a very pleasant couple of hours and called it quits at 9:00 pm quite the worse for wear,

Last edited:
Ansouis and Loumarin Concert

Apr 4, 2015

Over drinks last night, we saw a brochure advertising a wine and chocolate tasting event at Chateau de Mille. Jenny and Jonathan strongly advised that we go. It was scheduled from 10:00 till 4:00. We arrived at 10.30 and they swamped us as we hopped out of the car. We were the only ones there and no one else arrived before noon when we left. They explained that they expected most business in the afternoon when the Apt markets would close.

Anyway, we had a very quiet and private tasting. This Chateau winery has been in the family for five generations and we only later discovered that the Chateau itself was a retreat of the Popes of Avignon. Absolutely stunning buildings. We worked our way through a white wine and four vintages of the red. Surprisingly, for the first time in living memory, Ches was really taken with their white wine. It is a blend of: Roussane: ripe, golden, healthy, generous power and flavour. Bourboulenc: refined body, nervous with a distinct nutty taste. Clairette: low output but with a fabulous elegance. Springy, flowery and round wine

The matching of the wine to various flavoured chocolate was a real eye opener. We ended up selecting around 7 different chocolates and two bottles of wine; the white and the 2000 vintage of Chateau de Mille.

We returned home for lunch before setting out for an afternoon at Cucuron, Ansouis and Loumarin.

We told Tom to take us to Ansouis via Cucuron because we wanted to the the small lake that is a feature of this village. Tom decided to take us via a sign that pointed to Cucuron but didn't actually want to go there. As it turned out, we probably wouldn't have had time if we were to make a leisurely afternoon of it. Once again we went via the Loumarin road and it is beginning to feel comfortable (with a slight edginess).

Having parked, we wandered up toward the Chateau and passing the entrance that was closed, went on to the church. A very gloomy interior, I loved it for it's faded frescoes and a painting of Joan of Arc and a plaque naming the dead in WW1 by year; around 5 died each year of the war making a total of 25 which would have been a significant number of their youth. Probably one of the most atmospheric small churches.

As we walked back down, we saw that the Chateau gates had just been opened. Instead of the hourly tours suggested in our guidebook, they just have the one 3.00 pm guided tour. At this point it turned bitter sweet. The owner who was collecting 10E per person said that she spoke no English and that they no longer had the English guide sheets to carry with us. Worse was to come. Not only would I have no idea and Cheryl a vague idea of what the features of each room were,but once inside she made it quite clear that there would be no photography allowed. Bloody hell, 10E for no explanations and no photographs.

In many respects it was no different to many other chateau we have visited over the years however there were some unique exhibits such as Sedan Chairs and Slide Lanterns etc. I therefore make no apologies for including here a description from "Marvellous Provence" because it best describes what we saw. In fact, its close to the guided tout that we could have expected.

Pronounced (roughly!) "on-swee", Ansouis was named one of the Plus Beaux Villages de France or Most Beautiful Villages of France in 1999. But it doesn't seem to have pushed itself too hard as a tourist destination and remains one of the lesser-known Luberon villages. And this is certainly a major part of its unassuming, sleepy charm.

Ansouis' immediate pleasures are the traditional ones. Old stone houses (some dating back to the 15th century) cluster around an semi-circular bell tower with an open ironwork campanile. They're criss-crossed by lovingly restored calades, those steep, narrow, cobbled back alleys typical of the Luberon.

Large reproductions of historic postcards dotted around the village evoke the even more leisurely pace of life in Ansouis back in the olden days. However, Ansouis also has a rare jewel: a magnificent Château dating back over a thousand years, which you can visit on a fascinating tour.

THE CHÂTEAU D'ANSOUIS

The Château d'Ansouis has, as you'd expect, a colourful history. In the early 14th century, its owners, a young couple named Elzéar and Delphine de Sabran, pledged themselves to a life of austerity and were later canonised by the Avignon popes (they are buried in the village church and celebrated at a mass each September).

In later centuries the Château fell into disrepair. But restoration began in the 1930 and it hit the spotlight in 1969 when the ultra-elegant Gersende de Sabran-Pontevès, married Prince Jacques, Duke of Orléans.

Their glamorous three-day wedding reception at the Château, studded with European aristocracy and media celebrities, filled many pages of glossy magazines.

A few years later the Château faced a fresh fate. After a typically French and complicated squabble over the family inheritance, it was sold at auction, amid great controversy, in 2008.

One bidder was the couturier Pierre Cardin who has been furiously buying up property in the region, notably in nearby Lacoste and Bonnieux. Thanks to a legal technicality, he withdrew at the last minute and the Château d'Ansouis was acquired by Gérard and Frédérique Rousset-Rouvière, an Aix-based couple.

They have been continuing its restoration with tremendous love, flair and imagination ever since. The result is simply exquisite, and the few rooms still under renovation suggest just how much time and expense have been poured into the project)

Madame Rousset-Rouvière leads the guided tours herself. She's a great fund of knowledge and anecdotes about the history of the Château d'Ansouis, its conversion, provençal customs and her own personal passion for furniture and design.

We've described below some of the details she pointed out to us. But each tour is likely to be a little different, depending on the visitors' particular interests and questions. (Madame Rousset-Rouvière doesn't speak English, but she can arrange a translator if needed.)

Like many châteaux, this started life as a strategic mediaeval fortress overlooking and guarding the route between Apt and Aix en Provence. A "well" at its centre was, in fact, an escape chute and the soldiers would slot temporary wooden steps into pre-formed holes in the sides, so that they could descend without the enemy's following them.

Two underground passages linked the castle to a house in the village, enabling people and food supplies to move back and forth at times of siege.

In the Age of Enlightenment, the military fortress was gradually converted into a gracious country house, with a 17th century facade. You go in through a very grand Italianate entrance hall, whose staircase with a clevertrompe l'oeil ceiling and wide, shallow steps was designed to facilitate le pas du roi, a properly regal, gliding ascent.

At first the new and old wings were entirely separate. But roofs were added later over the open-air areas to join them up into a single unit, and parts of the old fortress are now embedded within the Renaissance Château. Moving constantly between them, the time-travelling guided tour weaves through the centuries.

The severe mediaeval castle faced north, while the Renaissance part of the Château has Versailles-style rooms en enfilade (opening on to each other along a long corridor). These all look south over a broad terrace shaded by chestnut trees, the Château's enormous, 6 hectare / 15 acre grounds and the surrounding countryside. You can even see as far as the Mont Sainte Victoire.

Many are decorated with the aristocratic version of les indiennes, the traditional patterns of Provence.

The tour may pause in the almond-green salon to admire the fine, detailled white plaster-work, or in the dining room under a Murano glass chandelier.The tablecloth on the dining table is knotted to prevent demons from climbing up to grab a bite to eat, according to a provençal superstition. Some rooms have rounded corners, too, so that the devil can't hide in the shadows.

The two master bedrooms, one for the husband, one for the lady of the château, have a little antechamber in between, "for negotiation", as Madame Rousset-Rouvière tactfully puts it. A cute little indoor kennel for the family dog is covered in brocade, a fashion set by Marie Antoinette.

The tour also goes into the private chapel in the former guard room of the look-out tower, rich with rouge royal red marble from the Pyrenees. Unusually, its Christ on the cross is depicted as still alive, with open eyes. There's also a small collection of Neopolitan santons, much finer than their rustic provençal cousins.

On the top floor is a totally different living space: an intimate, 18th century ermitage or private retreat. This delicate, very feminine apartment has an octagonal bedroom and boudoir (the special hairdressing chair has a scooped-out backrest to allow the maid to prepare her mistress' elaborate coiffures).

And the Château reserves one last stunning surprise: a door opens on to a jardin suspendu, or hanging garden, complete with neatly trimmed box hedges, rose bushes, orange trees, statues and more wonderful views.

thé in the sun (with breeze) before we head back to Loumarin for the 6.00 pm piano concert.

The concert didn't get off to a good start, or should I say, it wasn't what we expected however in many respects was better. For Drew's benefit, I'll paste the biographies at the end of this entry.

Alexandra Lescure seated herself at the Steinway at 6.10 and performed for around 30 seconds before Etienne Kippelen joined her on stage and began a lecture about dance music from Bach to Brahms. This went for around 10 minutes and was "French to me". Alexandra then performed the first Bach piece. This was followed by introductions by Etienne with Alexandra playing short illustrative pieces and then the full piece and so on through the 6 works and two encores. It was so much like the performance Drew had given to the year 12 students at AIM several years ago, I'm sorry I didn't have the French to follow. He joined her for the 4 handed Brahms piece and a Ravel encore and both were fabulous performers.

We had booked for dinner at L'heure Bleue By Yoha for 8.30 to 9.00 believing that the trip back from Loumarin would be slow. I nailed it, and we were back by 8.20. At least I though I had nailed it. I accelerated through every 20m stretch of road, whipped around every bend including the 300 degree tight bend mid way up the gorge and flew up the mountain, only to find that a woman behind me had stuck to my tail the whole way. I felt as though I had just finished a rally.

What a dinner we had at L'heure Bleue By Yoha. We had the 25E menu but elected to pay an additional 6E each for the entree of pan fried foi gras with apple. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Probably the most sensational thing we have eaten in all our trips to France, Melt in the mouth like velvet and so rich. I also finally had a desert that was superior to Ches's. Orange Curd Tart with Chocolate. Molten jaffa.

Brits at the table next to us (arrived half an hour after us), asked for advice on the menu. What was the grain served with the pork (a grain risotto)? I suggested "Barley", he turned to his wife and friends and said "How about that, it's called barley in both Australia and England." As we were leaving, they offered congratulations on the Cricket World Cup and we discussed the upcoming RWC.

I lay awake most of the night worrying about how we are going to be able to consume the 2 1/2 bottles of red, 3 bottles of white, bottle of Pastis and 2 small beers that we have accumulated. We only have 6 days to go before leaving Provence and will probably dine out two nights. That leaves 4 nights to consume a lota grog.

Alexandra Lescure was born March 13, 1982 in Clamart. She entered the Conservatory of Aix-en-Provence at the age of 11 years in piano class. She gets the Diploma of Musical Studies at the age of 16, followed by the development of prices.

She studied in the class of preparedness Bruno Rigutto international competitions at the Conservatoire de Marseille for 4 years. She received the development award in 2004.

At the same time she joined the graduate training class pianist Bernard D'Ascoli "cantabile piano" in 2002. She also studied under Michel Bourdoucle Prisca Benoit, Véronique Pelissero, Jacques Rouvier, Géry Moutier and Dang Thai Son. She participated in master classes with pianists Laurent Cabasso, Konstantin Lifschitz, Henry Barda, Dominique Merlet, Imogen Cooper, Carlos Roque Alsina and Lyuba Timofeyeva.

She won the gold trophies Quilici Queen in 1999 and 2003 in the solo category and contemporary music to Competition "Children of the World" in Marseille. She obtained the first medal unanimously at the International Competition of Brest.

She won the National Contest "Pianistiques Nights" and finalist of the International Competition of the "International Academy Pianistique" in 2006 and 2008 in Aix en Provence.

She performs regularly in recital and as a soloist in France and abroad (USA, Brazil, Romania, Moldova, Malta).

Since 2003, she was invited to perform with the Philharmonic Orchestra of Bacau and Craiova in Romania and Moldova with the Chamber Orchestra and the Philharmonic Orchestra of Ribeiro Preto in concertos by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven , Chopin and Mendelssohn.

It will also be accompanied in the PACA region by the Youth Orchestra of Provence, the Orchestra of the Conservatory of Aix-en-Provence, Avignon Provence Regional Lyric Orchestra and the Toulouse Chamber Orchestra.

In 2005, she organized a concert with "the Youth Orchestra of Provence" in partnership with the city of Eguilles and many interventions in schools attended shows for school children.

It occurs in improvisational duet with François Rossé pianist composer and improviser.

It also plays a duet with Michel Bourdoucle up.

She regularly accompanies singers for singing piano concerts.

In 2008, she created the company "Young Stars", a band of musicians, dancers and actors that occur in shows creations. Following this, it proposes the creation of a multi-arts class within the Municipal School of Eguilles.

She holds the State Diploma of piano teacher she gets CEFEDEM south of Aubagne. She manages the competition CNFPT as an assistant specializing in piano discipline in June 2011.

She taught from 2000 to 2001 at the School of Music of Aix, from 2001 to 2003 at the Conservatory of Aix-en-Provence and from 2007 to 2008 at the Conservatory of Arles.

She is currently professor of piano at the Music School Cabriès, near Marseille.

Kippelen Etienne (1984) started playing the piano at the National School of Quimper music, his hometown. He won a first medal with honors at the age of 14 at the Concours International de Brest and began performing in concerts.
Baccalaureate at the age of 16, he entered the piano class of Michel Bourdoucle CRD of Aix-en-Provence and gets a DEM piano, music theory and chamber music and a music master at the University of Aix-Marseille.Winner at the age of 21 years of aggregation, he teaches in the same university analysis, music history, aesthetics, composition since 2006.
While preparing a PhD on the melodic dimension in instrumental music after 1945 (direction Professor François Decarsin), he continued his musical career in Paris with Alain Louvier (orchestration and analysis), Christian Accaoui (aesthetic) and Cyrille Lehn (harmony). He obtained a DEM orchestration at RRC then three price analysis, aesthetics and harmony at the Paris Conservatoire.
Composer of forty works for various formations (chamber music, orchestral music, choral music), he studied composition in the class of Régis Campo (Dutilleux contest first prize in 1996) at the CRR in Marseille where he succeeded the DEM in 2008, while following the advice of Allain Gaussin. In 2009, he obtained the Higher Diploma of the Ecole Normale de Musique de Paris, first named in the class of Michel Merlet. It is also crowned the same year a SACEM Award.
Composer in Residence at Castle Lourmarin in July 2003, he is regularly created in various festivals: Eurochestries in Charente-Maritime, Haut-Bugey Ain Festival, Summer Festival Lourmarin, Vaucluse Spring Musical.

Easter Sunday and Fort Buoux

Apr 5, 2015

For a Catholic Country, Easter Sunday was pretty uneventful here in Bonnieux. The church bells rang more often than usual however that was about it. There was more interest in the annual Pottery Fair. Its a 2 day fair and people flooded into town all morning. I didn't trust myself as I would have looked for a very fragile coffee cup and saucer and spent the next three weeks trying not to break it in transit. I didn't go however Ches did.

After a lunch of cheeses, tomato, various meets and sausages and a glass of Seigneurie de Mille, we decided on afternoon doing the Aigue Brun Loop, which is very close to home.

The danger in letting an Aussie like Tom loose in the Luberon is that he wants to take every goat track over mountains and down gorges. The shortest route is selected every time. We asked him to help us get to Buoux and after he tried two different goat tracks I said I'd rather take the Loumarin road and link up with the road in the bottom of the gorge. We compromised and it was both fortunate and unfortunate that we did.

It was fortunate because the paved road he selected along the top of the mountain took us past many estates being renovated and the lavender fields. The estates are being bought up by the likes of JC Van Damme and the lavender fields at this time of the year just a silvery grey but quite scenic and we could imagine what they would be like in summer. Not for the first time today, we also imagined what the traffic would be like in summer and are glad to be doing the trip now.

It was unfortunate only in that the road down into the gorge was barely wide enough for one car and for any oncoming traffic one of us had to find enough space to squeeze off the road and let the other pass. We descended deeper and deeper into the gorge. and thankfully the signs to Fort Buoux were frequent.

Buoux seemed so small I don't know that we missed anything by not stopping. There didn't seem to be any carpark or anywhere to stop anyway. It's in the bottom of the gorge, so where to find flat land anyway. Through the village, I attempted to enter the first carpark along the river. This is the river which was packed solid with the cars of people either trout fishing, sitting in sun-chairs or climbing the cliffs. The gradient was around 50degrees and I had to back out. That was fun.

By this time Ches remembered that the guide books had advised that you should bypass the first couple of carparks and look for the one on the right that was near the entrance to Fort Buoux. No mention of all the cars parked along the side of the road that reduced the width to about 9/10ths of the width of a car. We found one of only two or three spots left and put all our bits and pieces into the boot as advised by everyone and any guidebook you care to name.

As we began up the track, we could see dozens of people climbing the sheer cliffs across the other side of the gorge and 300 or so metres further up the track we passed under the largest "baume" in the Luberon (a natural cave beneath overhanging cliffs). Human habitation here and in other caves in the surrounding cliffs date back to prehistoric times, It is absolutely massive.

Another couple of hundred metres or so on we came to the roman terraces. From what we have read, these were possibly to use as fields for growing food as there isn't any sign of any land anywhere else that would have provided them.

At this point, I saw people coming down a track that lead deeper into the gorge. We had left all our guide books etc in the car, so just set off up the track. We did seem to remember that the guuidebooks had said that it was a short and fairly steep ascent. We walked on for around 20 minutes or so climbing up into the scrub till we reached the foot of the staircase carved into the side of the cliff. Ches recollected some mention of "hidden staircase". I reached it first and despite the fact that is was at a gradient of around 50degrees, climbed to the first level (maybe 30 steps), on turning around, I saw that the next flight of 60 or more steps were carved into the side of the cliff at a gradient of 60 degrees or steeper, almost vertical. Sheer cliff above on the right hand side and a sheer cliff drop on the left hand side.

Anyone who knows me really well knows that I am absolutely terrified of heights. I mean terrified. I grew up around the cliffs at Watsons Bay and saw enough shattered bodies brought up from the base of The Gap to embed a fear that is beyond reason.

I videoed Ches climbing the first flight and then up the staircase and declared that I would never see the Fort as there was no way I could climb the staircase. Five minutes of applying reason and I set out up the staircase. On hands and knees, pressed to the right hand side cliff face my head turned in to the corner of each step and avoiding ever looking at the sheer drop to my left, I slowly climbed to the top. Ches walked up behind me.

If nothing else, I had achieved something I never could have expected. Of course I still had the descent to worry about however we were high enough to get access for my phone so I figured we could always call for a helicopter rescue.. At the top, we were still 20m below the absolute top. Confronted by tangled scrub and faint white arrows and "X's", we couldn't see a way to go on. We resigned ourselves to never actually seeing the fort.

The Winn's had written that they found the summit so spiritual, they often stayed for hours just to soak up the atmosphere. I figured it was to get over the climb.

We headed back down; me on my bum going one step at a time with eyes averted from the cliff and focused on the next step. At the bottom I declared my jeans ready to throw away because the backside was worn through and stained!!!!!!

We walked back down the track and on approaching the small farmhouse near the terraces saw kids tripping and skipping down a track that lead off to the left.

Aha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was the path that was steep but short up to the fort. By this stage Ches's hips were in agony. We pressed on however and climbed to the summit and the fort in around 10 minutes. Unfortunately Ches was too far gone to walk on along the ridge to the main buildings and the graves cut into the rocks (similar to the Abbey near Arles). Instead we sat and took in the atmosphere of the buildings around the entrance to the fort. This is where there is the main lookout tower that allowed the Romans to keep watch over the main road that lead form Italy into Gaul.

I'll let the photos do the talking.

Ches was becoming concerned that with all the rock climbers etc in the gorge that their would be congestion on the road trying to get out, so we set off back to the car.

Rather than climb bsck up the road we had come down, we just followed the road down the gorge till we came to the turnoff that we used when returning from Loumarin. Back home, we hopped into the white wine and demolished our easter eggs.

Around 8.00 I started to cook dinner. I melted the lardons of smoked pancetta in a frying pan, added the halved brussel sprouts and then dressed them with honey and balsamic vinegar. We boiled the chats and then sliced and fried them. Pan fried the sliced round courgette and finally grilled the lamb cutlets. How good is French lamb?
2.1428289264.fort-buoux-cliffs.jpg

2.1428289264.fort-buoux.jpg
2.1428289264.1-the-hidden-staircase.jpg
2.1428289264.the-hidden-staircase.jpg
2.1428289264.1-fort-buoux.jpg
2.1428289264.2-fort-buoux.jpg
2.1428289264.2-the-hidden-staircase.jpg
2.1428289264.3-fort-buoux.jpg
2.1428289264.6-fort-buoux.jpg

Pont Julien, Gordes and Abbeye de Senanque

Apr 6, 2015

Not a good start to the day. Ches went off to buy some yogurt for her breakfast cereal, however the Utile was closed. That wasn't really a problem. What was, was when she got home and opened her purse, she discovered that all the money was gone; around 150E. A little later we realised her phone wasn't there either. It now seems that while I was battling demons climbing the hidden staircase at Fort Buoux yesterday, someone opened our boot and helped themselves to the readies and phone. Fortunately or unfortunately, the phone had a global sim with only around $15.00 on it and they wont be able to rack up any gynormous bills on it. Unfortunately it was Sharon's sim. I now have another one provided by the travel insurance company before we left so hopefully it will replace hers.

On the way out for the day at 11:00, we discovered that the only ATM in town had run out of money. I guess the Friday markets and two days of pottery fair had drained it dry. All service stations are closed for Easter and we have a bare 1/4 tank left. This could be an interesting day with just 15E in my wallet and an unknown number of kilometers in the tank.

Just down the road we stopped at Pont Julien. Built in 3BC, it crosses the Calavon River and was part of the Via Domitia, the main road linking Rome with Gaul and Spain. The road is now asphalted over. Until 9 years ago, the bridge was still in use however there is now anew bridge 100 metres up stream. As we walked down to the river to photograph we saw dozens of people settling in for picnics and realised we had left our art home in the fridge. So far this day is going really well. It could get better but not much worse. Actually, seeing this 2,018 year old bridge is pretty good.

Our next destination was Roussillon. It was also the destination of half of the population of France. I've never seen a town more chockers. There are a number of small car parks charging 2E. All were not only full but had at least 10 cars circulating or standing in the roadway waiting for someone to leave. The entry card has 15 minutes free. This is obviously to allow those who don't find a spot to leave without being charged. We were one of them. The streets and all roads leading in and out of town had cars parked on the verge making the road even narrower. All pedestrians freed from their cars were like Browns cows (not yours Lee).

We gave up and headed on to one of the wealthiest towns in Provence; Gordes. Just reward for being one of the most active of "Resistance" villages during WW2. Here we were in better luck. There was a roadside parking spot 100 before the entrance to town at the top of the mountain, so we grabbed it. We had planned on going past Sénanque Abbey on the way in to check on the opening times etc, however we didn't see any direction signs. This was planned as our major destination for the day.

Unlike Roussillon which has stunning ocher cliffs and quarries, Gordes just has Gordes, the town itself. A massive castle built in 1031 sits at the crest and is surrounded by sunny open space and plenty of cafes and sandwich shops. We have never visited a French town with so many boulongarie that make up filled baguettes on the spot, nor seen so many tourists sitting or walking around eating them. Usually the restaurants and cafes are packed but not in this town. We found a stone seat against the castle wall with the sun beaming down and took 15 minutes out for our baguette and pastry.

Having leached all the colour from the town in taking dozens of photographs, we set Tom the task of locating Sénanque Abbey. Bloody hell, around 4km of road descending the 700m down the side of the mountain, one lane with stopping bays for one car every 150m. Fortunately we only met one car coming up. and we were the ones to stop. So intent were we on the road ahead that we didn't even see the vast Abbey beside us at the bottom.

I, and I think Ches as well, love Cistercian Abbeys. I say I think as well, because when I questioned her about how she felt about visiting more of them, she didn't scream but didn't wax lyrical. I don't know that she appreciated what could be in store when as part of the guided tour I pointed out that at the instigation of an abbey in Burgundy, the Cistercians eventually established 700.

Established in 1148, 800 years before Chesies birth year, it was decimated during the Wars of Religion and its one remaining monk was expelled during the French Revolution when it was sold into private hands. Resorting to the net: The site was repurchased in 1854 for a new community of Cistercian monks of the Immaculate Conception, under a rule less stringent than that of the Trappists. The community was expelled in 1903 and departed to the Order's headquarters, Lérins Abbey on the island of St. Honorat, near Cannes. A small community returned in 1988 as a priory of Lérins.
The monks who live at Sénanque grow lavender and tend honey bees for their livelihood.

Again to save you thousands of words, I'll post more pictures. I should however mention that apart from the usual fantastic cloisters that always seem to be the main feature for me, there was one small room (maybe 15x25m), that had a conical fire place and chimney. This was the only heated room in the abbey and designed to burn an entire tree trunk vertically. I spent a lot of time considering how they got the trunk into the fireplace, but came up empty.

By the time we had exhausted the abbey, it was almost 5:00 and we had a decision to make ... and it involved Tom. Should we go on to Fontaine-de-Vaucluse. The fountain, or spring, of Vaucluse, situated at the feet of a steep cliff 230 metres high, is the biggest spring in France. It is also the fifth largest in the world with an annual flow of 630 million cubic metres Basically this spring creates a river straight out of the rocks. We have around 1/4 of a tank of fuel (if the gauge is correct). That's around 12 litres and we get maybe 5 km to the litre, so 60kms. Can we get there and home to Bonnieux. Tom says it is 20km to Fontaine-de-Vaucluse. Lets go for it. After a minor disagreement with Ches when I declared that Tom would take us out of the valley and around the mountain, Tom took us back up the mountain, and to our horror, back to Gordes via an alternative route that took 15 minutes rather than the 5 minutes we had taken to come down the mountain. Bloody Tom. He then wanted to descend from Gordes and go around the mountain as I'd suggested.

Lacking in conviction that Tom could find the place with the petrol (diesel) we had left, we returned home. We really need to consult our road map before accepting Tom's advice blindly.

At home, we decided to eat out. There was nothing on L'Heure Blue by Yoha's menu that particularly appealed, Le Terrail was closed (they had had Lamb on the menu for lunch) and eventually we ended up at La Flambee; supposedly a pizzeria. Much more. Much much more. We now know it is famous for it's Pain de Chevre.. Everyone else seemed to order it so we will have to returne later in the week for the experience.

We didn't do too badly with the highlights being an entree of scallops in a creamy sauce, roast leg of lamb and baby goat (in white sauce) and apple tart. All washed down with the best part of 1 Litre of local red. That really was too much and Ches had no sense of direction when we left the restaurant, nor much control over her legs when hit by the cold night air. She slept well.

2.1428374040.pont-julien.jpg
2.1428374040.gorde.jpg
2.1428374040.gordes.jpg
2.1428374040.view-from-gordes.jpg
2.1428374040.1-gordes.jpg
2.1428374040.3-gordes.jpg
2.1428374040.4-gordes.jpg
2.1428374040.s-nanque-abbey.jpg
2.1428374040.1-s-nanque-abbey.jpg
2.1428374040.3-s-nanque-abbey.jpg
2.1428374040.2-s-nanque-abbey.jpg
2.1428374040.5-s-nanque-abbey.jpg

L'Isle-sur-la Sorgue & Fontaine-de-Vaucluse

Apr 7, 2015

The title of today's entry doesn't really tell it like it was. We had booked for lunch at La Closerie at Ansois; a 1 Michelin star restaurant. It's half an hour away via our usual gorge drive. Always a good experience, and I am getting faster.

We pottered around this morning and set out at just after noon for the restaurant. I had anticipated that we would be finished by 2;00 or 2:30 and therefore had said to Ches that we would have to make L'Isle-sur-la Sorgue & Fontaine-de-Vaucluse part of the days schedule or we would never get to see them. Big ask after lunch and a half hour drive north. We'll see.

Lunch was lovely without being spectacular. Jenny had told us that when they ate there recently, most of the locals ordered the 29E set menu so they didn't feel guilty.
Lunch was lovely without being spectacular. Jenny had told us that when they ate there recently, most of the locals ordered the 29E set menu so they didn't feel guilty. When the Maitre d' explained the menu of Crab Roulade, Shrimp Risotto with new season Fava Beans and Lemon sorbet confection, we decided on that as well.

The portions were small but adequate, although the "Shrimp" were singular jumbo prawns. One each; Ches’s a third bigger than mine so that four small mouthfuls didn’t go a long way. Most tables were having the same menu as us, however tow tables, including 4 Americans had the major tasting menu. We were kept waiting longer between courses than everyone else. A table of two locals who knew the Maitre d’ arrived after us and finished and left before we were served our desert. Look, the food was fine although nothing so different that we would associate with other Michelin stared restaurants in France.

We left at 2;30 for the drive to L'Isle-sur-la Sorgue. As the name suggests, this is an “island city” (town) with the river Sorgue surrounding it and canals are cut through the narrow streets. There are dozens of the old water mills still turning for the benefit of tourism, but not to generate the energy to drive any of the old industries of silk and paper making.

Back in 2005 when we stayed at Sancerre, we had visited a town that also featured canals in and around the medieval centre. It had been a great disappointment, but not L'Isle-sur-la Sorgue. Even at this time of the year without any leaves on the trees, it was still very pretty along the banks of the river with the café’s well patronised by tourists.

We actually walked through the town and across to the other side which must be the residential side of town. It’s probably not much more than 700 metres or so from one side of town to the other. I’m taking about the old town contained by the river which splits and runs around both sides, re-joining down river. Here on the far side was a mother and daughter feeding the ducks from one of the bridges. They had a large paper flour sack, the kind used by the boulangeries, with bread already torn into pieces.

We walked on a couple of hundred metres where we saw men playing Petanque or Boules on the other side of the river (only 20m wide). We watched the last two players. The first used his two balls to cleanly lob onto the opposition balls near the cochonnet ("piglet") or jack and move them well away. The final player put both of his near the jack and won the game. I got the feeling these guys played a lot.

Back up the river, little miss was following the ducks downstream still feeding them the bread. All the ducks we have seen in France and here as well are in pairs. Here there were three pairs, paddling like mad to stay stationary against the flow of water but drifting down nonetheless. Had she only known how much power she had; she could have stayed stationary up river and the ducks would have worked harder to stay with her.

In the middle of town is the church (Collegiate church Notre Dame des Anges) which dominates the town. The only other building of similar size is the Silver Tower. Here I have to resort to the net again:

L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue (L'Illa de Sòrga, L'Illa de Venissa in provençal dialect according to traditional norms or L'Ilo de Sorgo, L'Ilo de Venisso according to the "mistralienne" norms) was once called « L’Isle en Venaissin » because it was a real island in the middle of the swamps.

Historically L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue was a town of fishermen : from their flat-bottomed boats (the nego chin), they used to catch crayfish, trout, grayling or eels all year long. It was named "the Comtadine Venice" after construction by the Romans of the existing canal system surrounded by houses raised on piles as in Venice.

With the development of paddle wheels some of which are still preserved today, wheat mills were sprouting as early as the XIIth century, followed by the building of workshops for making wool and silk. The town then became one of the major wool production centers in Provence.

In the XIIIth century, the Tour d'Argent (Silver Tower) was buit by the Counts of Toulouse. In the XVIIth century the collegiate church of Notre-Dame-des-Anges was renovated on top of the XIIth century foundations, a gem of Baroque art at the center of the old town.

There may still be crayfish and certainly trout. When standing in the middle of town looking at a flat bottomed boat that was partially submerged in a narrow canal, a young boy passed on his bike with his fishing rod. He quietly said “bonjour” as he passed. Later, when leaving town we saw him and a dozen other people fishing in the big pond where the two arms of the river re-join below the town.

It was now 5.00 and the peak hour traffic for a little town was clogged. We still decided that as we were so close we should seek out the Fontaine-de-Vaucluse. This is the origin of the river Sorgue. This is the town that Tom had refused to take us too yesterday.

Surprisingly for so late in the day, the town was still packed and unfortunately two groups of very rowdy schoolkids made this tranquil river significantly less tranquil.

It’s a 2km walk up the river from the town, and the path is lined on one side with stand after stand of tourist “****”. The mountain cliff is sheer for a hundred metres or so above and at its base there is a largish pond. This is the source of the river. The water comes from an underground spring, deep below the mountain and despite sending mini submarines down, they have never located the source. For those who remember the famous Jacques Cousteau, even he couldn’t locate the source.

Today, the pond wasn’t overflowing into the river bed. The volume of water varies throughout the year. It did however enter the river around 100 or so metres back down where it erupted out of the rocks on the banks of the river. This really is a remarkable spring. As they say in the guidebooks, the river is created right out of the rocks, fully formed. Within 100 metres, it is a river. On average per year, 630 million m3 of water comes from this one spring, one of the biggest in the world.

We photographed and filmed. Well, I did.

This village of 600 inhabitants was once called Vaucluse or the closed valley (Vallis Clausa in Latin) and it gave its name to the French department of Vaucluse. Several trails indicate human occupation in the area since the neolithic era. Its spring has been the object of a major cult since Antiquity, and the Sorgue was used as a trade route by the Phoenicians of Massalia and later the Romans. Following some major discoveries from two cave dives by the SSFV, two archaeological sites under the protection of the SRA PACA has allowed more than 1600 antique coins from the first century BC to the 5th century AD to be brought back up to the surface. In the Middle Ages, a hermit supposedly lived in the spot.Eventually, he performed miracles that led to his being consecrated as Bishop of Cavaillon. His successor, Walcaudus, received the consent of the ruling counts of the area to settle monks there. A monastery was constructed, but was ruined by the 11th century. Clement, the Bishop of Cavaillon, ordered its reconstruction by Isarn, abbot of Sainte-Victoire. The poet Petrarch made it his preferred residence in the 14th century, writing "The illustrious source of the Sorgue, famous for itself long ago became even more famous by my long stay and my songs. " - Petrarch, Seniles, X, 2 .

The poet left in 1353 after his son's death. The village was razed shortly afterward by bandits, who withdrew at the sight of the intimidating episcopal seat (?). A museum stands on the spot of Petrarch's house today. Following this attack, the village and valley fell into oblivion. Thought of as a wild place, it was avoided through the 16th and 17th centuries. Vaucluse was again popularized by a duel between the famous Honoere Gabriel Riqueti and Louis-Francois de Galiffet. A letter published by Riqueti brought fame to the area again, and a column was built to honour Petrarch in the eighteenth century. In 1946, Jacques Cousteau and another diver were almost killed while searching for the bottom of the spring. An air compressor used to fill their tanks had taken in its own exhaust fumes and produced carbon monoxide - nearly killing them before they could return to the surface from a depth of approximately 100 meters.

We didn’t leave till 7.00 and Tom didn’t have any issues taking us home using main roads along the valley rather than over mountains and down gorges.
2.1428466572.lunch.jpg

2.1428466572.l-isle-sur-la-sorgue.jpg
2.1428466572.2-l-isle-sur-la-sorgue.jpg
2.1428466572.1-l-isle-sur-la-sorgue.jpg
2.1428466572.5-l-isle-sur-la-sorgue.jpg
2.1428466572.4-l-isle-sur-la-sorgue.jpg
2.1428466572.6-l-isle-sur-la-sorgue.jpg
2.1428466572.2-fontaine-de-vaucluse.jpg

Vaison-la Romaine
Apr 8, 2015

For the first time this holiday, we had to set the alarm on my phone to make sure we could get away by 8.30 for a 1.5 hour drive north to Vaison-la Romaine. Thankfully this was an uneventful drive because Tom took us across country on a "yellow" road and then on the motorway north before a leisurely cross county last 20 minutes through pretty farming countryside.

We arrived in the carpark where there were only a dozen or so cars at around 10.15 and with no public toilets in sight, went looking for a bar/cafe on the "Roman" side of the river. Gotta say at this point that we have never come across as many "hole in the floor" toilets as we have in the last three weeks. For a country that is so fastidious as to have a bidet sitting next to the toilet in many or most homes, why do they then revert to squatting in public toilets. Many have been particularly gross.

The "Roman" side of town is the side that is spread along the river on the flat plain below the mountain on which the "medieval" town is located. Give me Roman anytime over medieval and particularly when there are the remains of vast villas and theatres.

After Cafe and Thé, we went in search of the usual; the Tourist Info. Office. A town map lead us to the archaeological site entrance 100 m away and with a 24 hour ticket we were set. The Roman town is the largest in France and covers 150 acres, most of it still under the existing lower town, and 17 acres have been excavated.

Just inside the entrance to the first site "Puymin", is “Maison A l'Apollon Laure”. It’s 2,000 m2 and probably larger as extensions are believed to be under the street and houses across the road. Nevertheless, the 2,000 that is visible raises a number of questions. Well it did for me and I made it an important issue for Ches as well. No simple sightseeing, you’ve gotta consider the big questions, like:

If the owners of these massive “villas” were locals who had become “romanised”, how did they know to build to this standard design of “villas”. I’ve watched most “Time Team” episodes at least once and have no problem watching the ones about roman villas a second time. Almost every time, they are of a similar design:

http://www.crystalinks.com/romebuilding s.html scroll down to “Villa”

That lets you off lightly.

Was there a firm of architects in Rome who provided plans for the building of villas all over the Roman empire? Did builders move north as the empire expanded, picking up contracts for the “nouveau riche-would be Romans”

This villa and another 4 others excavated in the “La Villasse” site across the road are basically in a line facing the river. You can’t see that now as there are houses built in the 1600’s over anything between the river and the archaeological site. All have features such as central courtyards with fountains, dining rooms that open onto the courtyards, walkways around the courtyards with columns supporting the roof, reception rooms, offices, bedrooms (usually in an upstairs wing), latrines and baths.

We stood on the path above “Maison A l’Apollon Laure” and located all the rooms and their purposes. The photo included here probably won’t help you as much as it helps us.

This could be painful for everyone so move along if the mood takes you or look at the links.

http://www.vaison-la-romaine.com/spip.p hp?article390

We worked our way around the site, to the Theatre. Here I embarrassed myself in a major way. I assumed that it had survived intact for 2,000 years. Particularly when I read that it was renovated 300 years after it was built. I marvelled at the stonework at the back of the terraced seating, the seating itself and the remnants of the stage itself. I got everything wrong. The major citizens didn’t sit up the back but down the front. The back was for the plebs; the same as it is today. The whole place was a wreck till restored in the last century, all the seating replaced as the originals had been carted off to build houses over the following 1,500 years. They have used materials dug out of the site such as the columns on the stage and the structure high up at the back, however it’s a reconstruction. Still impressive.

I raise the question. Given this was a town developed by the local celtic peoples who were Romanised, who became the leaders? Was it the most powerful ex-warriors? Was it the best merchants who could contribute to the commerce of Rome (they were trading produce throughout the Mediterranean from all over Gaul through Masalia, Massalia or Massilia the current Marseille which was then a Greek port that the Romans were protecting ?

Unlike most Roman cities throughout Gaul, this wasn’t established by ex-legionnaires. Rome’s success was largely built on honoring the retirement plans of its soldiers. After serving for 16 or 20+ years, they were entitled to land in the territories they had helped capture and in the cast of Orange, just 30km away, it was established by Julius Caesars troops, 8 years after his assassination.

OK, OK, we spent a lot of time looking at archaeological digs, climbing all over the Medieval town built on the hill across the river and fighting off local cats who wanted our lunch.

By this stage, Ches had destroyed her hips again. She fears she is back to where she was a year ago. We abandoned any thought of visiting the other towns in the area and asked Tom to take us to Roussillon which is near home. This is the town with the ochre mines that was swamped by tourists on Monday.

Here we had a major falling out and Tom set Ches and I against each other. On leaving Vaison-la-Romaine, we would pass by Mont Ventoux. That’s the one high enough to have snow but also totally bare so that the limestone which is pure while looks like snow. I figured the w*** would take us via mountain peaks and gorges so set him to travel via Carpentras. This should be far enough west that he would have to take the “yellow” and perhaps the occasional “green” roads.

Ches asked what was the quickest route according to Tom and I responded the one that avoided Carpentras. OK, OK again, we elected to try to keep him under control. To cut a long, long argument really short, Tom only used “white” roads. They are the ones that go through country no tourist ever visits, through towns rather than around them, and on roads only wide enough for one car. The only benefit is that there are no other cars, or only an occasional one.

Just when my patience had completely worn out, he took us deep into a ravine (that’s worse than a gorge or canyon). The road was so bad it was more patches than original road and was one car width wide. Eventually we began to climb. Our ear drums popped. Get the idea? Eventually we found ourselves on top of the mountain above Gorde. remember how he handled Gorde on Monday?. Rather than let him take us through the town, we took the alternative direct route to Roussillon . Again it involved steep and twisting roads however we did have a cliff face the size of Uluru to look at all the way down.

On entering town, we found a parking spot, put in 1E to cover the 20 minutes till 6.00 pm when it would be free parking and then discovered why it is free after 6.00. We walked out the 1km to the entrance and found that it was already closed for the day.

Now, this day has to have a happy ending. We decided to revisit La Flambee. This time we would have the world famous Pain de Chevre, but not the litre of red that sank us last time.

Pain de Chevre as it turned out was and is, a very thin pizza base with goats cheese, a little crème fraiche and herbs (we think rosemary), spread on half of it, folded over like a calzone and then cooked in the pizza oven so that it puffs up. Wonderful.

The duck was also great and we both had Ile Flottante for desert. Ches had been so disappointed in their Crème Caramel last time she didn’t have any expectations. It was wonderful.

From here on in, it’s not for the faint hearted and ou might want to call it quits. It’s translated from the French by Monsieur Google. If you go to the bottom of the page where their are extra photographs, you can click on the "Slideshow" button and see all of them much larger than in the blog itself.

The Roman Bridge The Gallo-Roman bridge, classified as "Historic Monuments" in 1840, is the real link between the modern lower town and the medieval city; it is one of the major landmarks of the city. Built in the first century AD, it is anchored in the rock at a narrowing of the Ouvèze. Its single arch, 17 m opening and 9 m wide, consists of five arches and relies on the rock. In ancient times, the bridge embankments dominated the facilities on stilts. The river favored an intense commercial traffic handled by browsers corporations.

Site Puymin House in Apollo lauré This house, the name of the head of an Apollo laurel wreath of white marble, occupies 2000 m2 while its southern extension is unknown. This is the place to imagine the main entrance, following a succession of rooms: dining room, dining mosaic courtyard. At the heart of the house, the great hall, floor polychrome marble, overlooking the peristyle. Entries known on the street theater served the domestic activity areas: the kitchen with its homes and its basin, a courtyard where the latrines were appointed and shelter for wood. From there the beach was kept home that heated rooms hypocaust.

House to Tonnelle This huge house about 3000 m2 was formed from a modest home in the first century BC, the heart of an agricultural field. In the second century, the domus extended down through several levels of terraces and basements. The large courtyard occupied by the arbor of a dining room and a well were given access to a double flight staircase. From there, we won the private part of the house, rooms, courtyard, spa. The northern sector was reserved for domestic activities: courtyard with pool, dining with oven and dolium (grain reserve) latrines.

The porticoed sanctuary This vast monument, partially cleared, was probably a public place vocation walk, or even worship. Porticoes framed a garden with a large pool and a central building. Opposite, in the north wall, there met a room highlighted by a Rhodian portico. Its size and the presence of an altar incite see a place of worship dedicated to a god, emperor or a local personality. Sculpture casts were placed there: the Diadumenos (Roman copy of an original sculptor Polykleitos), Emperor Hadrian and his wife Sabina. Leaving the sanctuary by the northeast stairs, walkers join a neighborhood workshops and small homes.

Theater The ancient theater is protected as historical monuments since 1862. A witness to the prosperity of the ancient city of Vasio, it is one of the few public buildings visible today, which consisted of the monumental city. Its construction dates probably from the first century AD, during the reign of Emperor Claudius; decoration was enriched at the beginning of the next century. In accordance with the recommendations issued by the Latin author Vitruvius in his treatise on architecture, the theater was excavated in the north side of the hill that offered a Puymin rock mass and a slope suitable for such an installation. Nevertheless a great job size and recovery of the rock has been necessary to make both regular bleachers and seat of masonry. Restored during the third century, the theater was probably used until the early fourth century. Historians speculate that it was destroyed in the beginning of the next century, when the decree of Honorius (in 407), which ordered all provinces to overthrow, to break or bury statues of pagan deities. It is perhaps in this context that we threw into the deepest parts of the theater, the effigies of emperors and other deities that adorned the stage wall. It is also from this time that people began to use the big foundation of the monument or as sarcophagi or as building materials. The work of destruction and oblivion was so complete that at the beginning of the Renaissance there was nothing left of the monument two arches, repeated reports by scholars and travelers. Not until the nineteenth century and the establishment of a national structure to inventory the monuments of France to the theater again arouses interest. Its size and structure make it possible to accommodate up to 7000 spectators distributed in a strict hierarchy. The 32 stands were grouped into stages separated by a low wall and probably a traffic corridor. They were accessible by stairs from the orchestra and vomitories. The stands were surmounted by a portico. The portion reserved for players remain visible vestiges of pre stage wall and twelve cavities for curtain mechanism. Back, pits housed the machinery used in the processing of the scenery and stage effects through hatches in the floor. The basics of stage wall, carved into the rock, give a faint idea of the monumental decoration, but they are well qu'empruntaient the three doors to enter the artists on stage by convention, players entering the courtyard (right ) came from the forum and those entering from the left (garden) came from the countryside or from outside the city. Currently the theater is the subject of an extensive restoration campaign that has the dual aim of protecting the ancient remains and to better adapt the site for its contemporary use.

The archaeological site of Villasse is a wealthy neighborhood and very active in the city with its streets, its shops and spa together. Behind the noisy urban life, big mansions turned their courtyards reflect a quality of life and a luxury reserved for wealthier populations.

Street Stores This beautiful street is one of the most outstanding examples of urban planning Vasio. Consists of large limestone slabs arranged irregularly to reduce the jolting of the wagon wheels that use it every day, it is a major north-south axis of the city. It acceded to the east by a wide sidewalk on the west by a pedestrian tunnel that can be guessed the columns that supported the floor of the buildings. Thus, out of the weather and the sun, walkers can make their purchases. Shops are identified by them and by the groove threshold which was used to calibrate the stall of sale. Customers remained outside, on the road. In the evening, the shops were closed with a flap. It is through this street that the inhabitants of the ancient city went to the baths. This building is now partially cleared: only, the great room and latrines are visible; the main building located under the current post. Below, the entrance to the House Bust Silver was sitting between two shops.

The House of the Silver Bust This house is named after the discovery of silver bust of a wealthy Roman citizen. Street shops to the east, we won the vestibule and a small portico and a room, perhaps the teacher's desk. Behind parts and being lined up, creating a perspective of the noble room to the garden below landscaped porches. North of the hall were organizing the kitchen, its reserves and may servile housing. With the western part consists of a large garden and a spa complex, the house reaches the surface of 5000 m2 ground, making it the most imposing townhouses released in Vaison. The thermal unit, designed for baths and exercise, was built around 10-20 AD Later, during the first century AD, it lost its public character and has been integrated into the plan of the house Bust Silver. Its facilities included different rooms: users leaving their clothes in a locker room before taking a bath in the cold room. From there, they won the warm room and the hot room equipped with a pool. Both were heated by circulating air in the basement and in the thickness of the walls from a home. Below, a palaestra, large parade ground, was embellished with a pool and equipped with latrines.

The House at Dauphin A small marble dolphin found on site gave its name to this residence in the first century BC, was a farm. In the second century AD, the environment was urban. The house, enlarged and embellished, was bordered by streets to the west and north. The pedestrian path was entered via a staircase flanked by shops. An atrium served as a vestibule and opened on the desk behind which was the private sector of the house: the dining room of winter, the reception, the seaside ... In the north, the latrines were adjacent to the kitchen and its reserves. The floor should be reserved for rooms. In the south, a large garden with a furnished unfolded basin pool and many plantations.

Vaison in history This is the rocky heights dominated by the castle of the Counts of Toulouse appears the better Vaison site. The landscape that opens to the north is that of a small town, surrounded by farmland.

The l'Ouvèze navigable once, separates the Upper Town of the present city that covers the Gallo-Roman town, 15 acres are cleared. As for the "castle Villasse" and its path of plane trees bicentennial, it dominates the so-called Roman relics La Villasse. Further east, the hill of Puymin is indicated by a large wooded area. Other Roman relics (North Spa, Villa Peacock) beyond the gaze. The rest of the ancient city remains under the current Vaison. Finally, we note two novels buildings west of the Villasse: St. Quenin chapel, and further south, the Notre-Dame de Nazareth and its cloister. This urban panorama, which overlap ancient remains, novels and recent constructions suggests layering and movement of occupations over the ages.

The urban landscape has not kept visible witnesses earlier times. Human occupation is yet very old but only prospecting operations and the polls show. For the period of the Ice Age (between 10 000 and 8000 BCE) tools (chisels, scrapers ...) of habitat structures (fitting holes and paving) and bone meal remains were discovered in a cave right bank of the Ouvèze.

Closer to home, the remains left by the agro-pastoral communities of the Neolithic, especially late Neolithic (7000 3 000 BCE), are frequently detected in the ancient levels. These are the sherds cardium shell, burn holes, riprap, lithic tools. Finally, there is the discovery, in a Gallo-Roman Puymin shop, a pot miraculously up the timing of a stone fireplace.

Rampart and habitat remnants left by the agrarian community of the First Iron Age (VII - V century BC) were discovered on the left bank of the Ouvèze at the foot of the rocky outcrop. It is on this level, marking the landscape (currently occupied by the Upper Town), which are sheltered to the Ligurian populations and Celtic-Ligurian from the invasion of Voconces the IV century BC Vaison called then "Vasio voncontiorum" that is to say, "Vaison Voconces." Even before the Roman conquest, the city is the capital of the people of Celtic origin which occupied a limited area to the south by the Durance, Isère north, the Rhone Valley to the west, the Durance and the Alps in 'is.

With the Roman conquest Vasio becomes "city federated" (not a colony). Voconces down on the right bank which gradually structure a city. Urban planning starts from the nuclei that metamorphose into town homes, during the creation of roads and the building of large public buildings in the second half of the first century AD: theater, bridge, aqueduct, baths ... The Roman peace is conducive to the expansion of the city, who knows its splendor in the second century. She covers from 70 to 75 hectares. It is one of the richest cities of Narbonne. After the fall of the Roman Empire, Vaison became a relatively important religious center (there is a bishopric from the IV century), where two councils were assembled in 442 and 529 to the twelfth century, the city developed in the plains around the cathedral and the bishop's palace where she underwent several invasions due to conflicts between the counts of Toulouse and the successive bishops. In the thirteenth century the population sought refuge on the rock at the foot of the castle built by the Counts of Toulouse, but became papal property. It is in this context that flourished in medieval papal territory that remains today. In the seventeenth century, some inhabitants resettled in the plain, but it is really only in the nineteenth century that the needs of urban development once again forced to leave the city its promontory.

The area was inhabited in the Bronze Age. At the end of the fourth century BCE, the upper city of Vaison became the capital of a Celtic tribe, the Vocontii or Voconces. After the Roman conquest (125-118 BCE) the Vocontii retained a certain degree of autonomy; they had two capitals, Luc-en-Diois (in modern Drôme département), apparently the religious center, and Vaison. Their continued authority in the gradual Romanization of the Celtic oppidum meant that the city plan incurred no disruptive re-founding along rigid Roman orthography.The city's modern archaeologist Christian Goudineau has suggested that early examples were set by Vocontian aristocrats who moved down from the oppidum and established villas along the river, around which the Gallo-Roman city accreted. In the Roman period it became one of the richest cities of Gallia Narbonensis, with numerous geometric mosaic pavements a fine small theatre on a rocky hillslope, probably built during the reign of Tiberius, whose statue was found in a prominent place on its site. The Polyclitan Vaison Diadumenos (now in the British Museum) was discovered in the theatre in the nineteenth century. At Vasio Pompeius Trogus, the Augustan historian, was born.

The barbarian invasions were presaged by a pillaging and burning in 276, from which Roman Vasio recovered, but in the fifth century the benches of the theatre began to be reused as Christian tombstones. Vaison belonged the Burgundians, was taken by the Ostrogoths in 527, then by Clotaire I, King of the Franks in 545, and became part of Provence

The disputes which broke out in the twelfth century between the counts of Provence, who had refortified the ancient "upper town" and the bishops, each of whom were in possession of half the town, were injurious to its prosperity; they were ended by a treaty negotiated in 1251 by the future pope Clement IV, a native of Saint-Gilles-du-Gard.

At disturbed times of the Middle Ages, the inhabitants emigrated to the higher ground on the left bank of Ouvèze, with the shelter of the ramparts and a strong castle. From the eighteenth century most of the population had moved back down to the plains by the river.

A flood struck Vaison-la-Romaine on 22 September 1992, costing $1.5 billion in damages. It was the town's worst flood since 1632, and was featured in the Discovery Channel series Destroyed In Seconds.

2.1428548199.vaison-la-romaine.jpg

2.1428548199.1-vaison-la-romaine.jpg
2.1428548199.2-vaison-la-romaine.jpg
2.1428548199.3-vaison-la-romaine.jpg
2.1428548199.7-vaison-la-romaine.jpg
2.1428548199.4-vaison-la-romaine.jpg
2.1428548199.6-vaison-la-romaine.jpg
2.1428548199.9-vaison-la-romaine.jpg
2.1428548199.8-vaison-la-romaine.jpg
2.1428548199.10-vaison-la-romaine.jpg
2.1428548199.11-vaison-la-romaine.jpg
2.1428548199.14-vaison-la-romaine.jpg
2.1428548199.16-vaison-la-romaine.jpg
2.1428548199.15-vaison-la-romaine.jpg
2.1428548199.roussillon.jpg

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina