• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Tipping in France

I just returned from Paris, and I tipped more than usual because of not having exact change and not wanting to wait around -- and received astonished looks from the waiters!

Due to the 62 steps up to my Paris apartment, I used a car service this time and the driver carried my bags up (and another down on departure). When I tipped the drivers 5 euros, they looked surprised, too.

For good treatment we always round up and, depending, often add a little more. I have only been to France once and heard horror stories about Paris waiters from people we know.

We found the French waiters delightful without exception. Even when they were slammed. We are returning to the Alsace this fall and am really looking forward to our trip. Except for one event at TSA in the Paris CDG airport never had an unpleasant experience. And the guy was not French by a long shot.

The taxi driver who took us to our Paris apartment in the 11th from CDG seemed pleasantly surprised at the 5 euro tip I gave him. I kind of felt like I did a faux pas...

... and a taxi driver I had from Place d'Opera bus stop to my apartment last spring waved off my attempt to tip, when I had no small change; he even rounded down so I would not have to round up. I tried, but he insisted.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina