• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Tipping Limo Drivers

Sharon J

100+ Posts
It has been many years since we used a car service to ferry us to and from the Rome Airport. Also, many years, since we have stayed in Rome. We usually rent a car, and stay in the countryside. We will stay near Montepulciano for the first part of our trip, then return our car to the Rome Airport. I have hired a car service to pick us up at the airport, and drive us to our rental apartment near Campo Dei Fiori. At the end of our stay, the same service will pick us up for the return back to the airport for our trip home.

Sorry, but wanted to explain what is going on. They have quoted us a very fair price, but I'm wondering what those of you who have used car services tip? I only ask this question, as over ten years ago, when we first started traveling to Rome, we used a certain driver many times. He does own a car service, so was not an independent driver. He ALWAYS asked for a 20% tip, which really added up, especially when he took us down to the Amalfi Coast. I might add, that we always paid for his lunch, which he chose, so it was never cheap. Obviously, we no longer use his service.

The company representing the apartment we will be staying in, recommended several companies, and we made the choice ourselves. So, I would just like to know what would be appropriate?

In Italy there just isn't that same tipping culture. However for those who deal mostly with tourists, and especially American tourists, they will adapt over time to anticipate or even expect a US-level ~ 20% tip.

What I would recommend, is to give them an amount that depends on the experience. You certainly shouldn't be expected to tip to US standards - it's a different model. That said if they're polite/friendly, then rounding up (say €37 rounded up to €40) would be fine. If they really go out of their way to make it special, then of course it's right to return the favour and tip some more.

The odd driver will decline a tip, but I suspect those who deal regularly with tourists are long past that.

Thanks Ian. Truly our thoughts as well. Just wanted to make sure we were on the right track, since it has been so many year since we've used a driver.

I'm curious which company you will go with and what's the price. We'll be landing in rome April 6th and the apartment owner said just take a taxi for €48.
Jan, you might send Tony Polzer a PM...he probably has drivers he uses and can give you a price.

Jan, we are using Rome Shuttle Limousine. Our rental agent gave us the name of several, and we ended up using them. Our apartment is in the Campo dei Fiori area. They gave us a small break for using them for the round trip. €50 for the trip from airport, and €45 for return. They do use the sign with your name on it, when arriving by plane. They were very prompt when I wrote to them.
info@romeshuttlelimousine.com

Last edited:
Thanks Sharon. I think we will stick with the taxi because our flight lands at 7:30pm and we need to be at our apt. by 9:00 or incur a 20 euro penalty. So, I imagine the taxi to be fastest--no walking back to the car. But who knows???

Highly recommend RomeCabs. Always prompt and great drivers. 50 euros from FCO. I was very impressed with Stephano, the owner, when his driver, who was picking us from Rome to FCO, was stuck in protest traffic and could not reach us in time so he had to send a taxi. The driver drove like a maniac and had really bad BO. Stephano was very apologetic, even though it was out of his control, and refunded us the taxi fare via PayPal and I hadn't even mentioned our bad experience with the driver. I doubt any other company would do that so we always use RomeCabs and always recommend them. They're No. 1 on Trip Advisor for a reason.

Carole

We just used Rome Cabs last October for the umteenth time in 13 years. 50 euro from our apartment near Camp dei Fiori to FCO. We think they are great!

Jan, the driver will be waiting for you when you exit the luggage area. The cars have always been parked right across the street in the garage in a very close ground level parking space so you'll just exit the terminal, cross the street and the garage is right there. Just a few minutes walk and probably less time than you would spend finding the taxi line and then waiting your turn if it's busy. The driver also helps with the luggage which is always welcomed since we don't travel light.

We do tip the driver and, I think, 5 euros for the 50 euro fare. We don't usually tip a guide or driver when it's the person's own business since they're not an employee unless we had an extra request or they went over and above expectations.

Carole

Hi everyone,
I've also been using RomeShuttleLimousine for years -- before I moved to Rome and now that I live here, pretty much whenever I travel by plane. I also book it for guests coming to visit (unless they travel light and want to use the train). I don't tip, just round up to 50 euros from the standard rate of 48 euros.

Jan, they also park at the ground level of the underground parkade so it's not much of a distance to walk to the car. They're always clean, comfortable and I don't have to worry about arguments over any "extra changes" they sometimes try to levy. And no weirdness -- I cannot believe that Rome cabbies still hit on me. I have given up even trying to have a polite conversation. But that is beside the point, so I'll stop here!

Also Jan, at risk of sounding negative, it might be really tight to reach your apartment 90 minutes after landing. You know how very slow the baggage handlers at Fiumicino can be, let alone getting through passport controls, etc.

Cheers,
Sandra

We've used a lot of drivers and always tip as a gesture of courtesy and friendship. If you have bags I would add at least 5 euro to the fee. It's not a lot, and these guys don't make a great deal of money.

We ended up using RomeCabs. We absolutely did not make it by 9:00 because of a 3+ hour flight delay but the driver was right there with my name on a piece of paper. He was kind and friendly and got us into town lickity split. (I don't think I've ever written that before.) The fee was €54 and we gave him 58.

Was 54 euros the price they quoted you or was that because of some wait time? It usually only 50 euros.

Carole

Jan, did you arrive after 7:00 pm? If so, the fare would be 60 euros. If not, the charge should have been 50 euros. I wonder why your booking on their website was 54 euros.

Carole

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina