• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Tolls When Driving

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
When we were in Ireland our rental car company advised us that the toll for the main road (M50?) outside of Dublin would be automatically charged to the CC we used for the rental, but that all other tolls would be our responsibility. Fair enough.

Today a neighbor advised us that we'll face what's part of the London Congestion charges when we drive to Susses. This charge is on the Dartford Crossing, and is £2.50. It can be paid in a variety of ways, but if it's not paid by midnight the day after the crossing, there's a £70 fine, and reading our AutoEurope contract, Hertz will charge us an additional £50.40! Needless to say I Googled Dartford Crossing and found their website HERE.

I sent them a text, thinking it would be the easiest way to get basic info, but I don't think I entered the numbers correctly, so I ended up calling them - again, after a few tries, using the + symbol, and eventually deleting the leading 0. They answer the phone from 5 a.m. until midnight!

I had read that I could pay online, but that required setting up an account, and making a minimum deposit of £10 - which is still a lot cheaper than the combined fines!, but I wanted to talk to a real person. The clerk I got was helpful and all I needed was the car tag # and my CC #, and the charge was only £2.50. That was a close one!

For anyone else driving around/past London, if you're driving around on the east side, you might need to pay this toll!

Hi ArtnBarb
We did that journey only a couple of weeks ago, and despite the site being (intentionally?) misleading, you don't have to set up an account, and I was able to pay online an hour or so later.

On the site https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge , click the green 'start' button, then select a one off payment & pay via their secure site.

1532546414796.png

then select a one off payment & pay via their secure site.
1532546256497.png

Regards
Ian

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina