• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Train: Avignon to Marseille Airport?

Cameron

500+ Posts
It's been years since I've been on this train (we used rental cars), so want to check that there's still a train from the central Avignon station to the Marseille Airport. Vitrolles train? I remember it being easy, but don't know if there's a train that now departs from the TGV station outside Avignon, which is preferred, as it is the drop-off point from the tour.

I'll be solo, and think this is easier for departing France, instead of backtracking to Paris. (Or, reverse--arrival, if I decide to save Paris after the Luberon Walking Week with @Kathy).

Thanks!

I have never taken that train.
Here are some things to consider:
I just looked at the train schedules.
There seems to be a TGV train to the airport, but it is infrequent. If you miss it or if it is late or changed, it getknow well.s dire.
There are very frequent TGV trains from Avignon to Marseille St Charles train station. And this TGV train reaches St Charles station in a matter of minutes.
Since you're solo and probably are concerned about a safe and smooth way to the airport,, what about pre-booking an Uber or "Chauffeur-privé" car, with a driver waitingfor you at the station?
Through this prebooking, you know your fare beforehand. This also elimintes your having to deal with taxi drivers operating with a meter in a city you don't know well.
If you already have an Uber account in the US, you can use the same app, in English, in France.
Sorriest I'm sort of not answering your question.

There used to be a train from the Avignon TGV station that went to Vitrolles, but I'm not sure now from the schedule.

Parigi has some good ideas. If you just want to get to MRS to spend the night before a flight home, the easier thing would be to TGV from Avignon to Aix (closer than Marseille), then take the shuttle to the airport. Or better yet-- shuttle in the other direction to Aix and spend the night there, then shuttle or taxi (or maybe Uber now) to the airport in the morning.

Another possibility is a taxi from Bonnieux to MRS... maybe there are others in the group who would want to share a car. I can help book this and make connections with others a bit closer to the trip. But it would be a long time to laze around at an airport hotel. I vote for Aix!

Kathy

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina