• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Train strikes? Versus car rental

Kportgrl

10+ Posts
Ok Italy travel veterans. Here is my question, which I will preface by saying that I live in Canada where the automobile is always the default method of transportation. Also we have been to Italy before and have, overall, enjoyed the driving (notwithstanding getting lost despite GPS a few times). We will be travelling between the Lake Como area and Parma (eventually heading to Spello). And eventually will be getting a car. We were thinking we would pick one up at Como or Lecco and drive to Parma. But we have been told that the traffic around Millan is horrific
And that we would be much better off taking the train to Parma. I’m not sure how this traffic would compare to a major North American city, or even Rome, Paris, or London, all of which we have driven in— just because we happen to have had a car from somewhere else. Has anyone driven around Milan (outskirts/highway)?I’m assuming there is no way to totally bypass this Milan ring road traffic?And secondly, has anyone ever been caught in a train strike in Italy? I’m told there is advance notice given, however, my understanding is that it’s just a few days. And, to my mind it would be rather stressful trying to cope with quickly making other transportation arrangements in a foreign country when you don’t speak the language. We are going to be on a two week trip, So even though I understand most train strikes don’t last more than a day or two, this would certainly impact on us despite it being a short period of time. All and any advice will be much appreciated.

We regularly drive around the cities (Milan, Florence, Rome, etc.) on autostrada and usually move at posted speeds. Time of day, weather conditions, holiday, etc., are variables, as with any city and road, but I wouldn't be concerned. We used Linate airport last year for a trip to Germany (opposite side of city from where you would be transiting to Parma) with no issues. Here is a Trip Advisor note (from 2016, so maybe dated) that might help: "Train strikes in Italy are not frequent, and plenty of advance warning is given. It is unlikely that your plans will be disrupted. I think that last year there was a total of 4 strikes, each lasting for 24 hours. Even when there is a strike, some trains are guaranteed to run on all the main routes.are guaranteed to run on all the main routes." We seldom use trains, so can't offer personal experience.

Also: https://www.italiarail.com/train-strikes-italy

We regularly drive around the cities (Milan, Florence, Rome, etc.) on autostrada and usually move at posted speeds. Time of day, weather conditions, holiday, etc., are variables, as with any city and road, but I wouldn't be concerned. We used Linate airport last year for a trip to Germany (opposite side of city from where you would be transiting to Parma) with no issues. Here is a Trip Advisor note (from 2016, so maybe dated) that might help: "Train strikes in Italy are not frequent, and plenty of advance warning is given. It is unlikely that your plans will be disrupted. I think that last year there was a total of 4 strikes, each lasting for 24 hours. Even when there is a strike, some trains are guaranteed to run on all the main routes.are guaranteed to run on all the main routes." We seldom use trains, so can't offer personal experience.

Thanks Alpinista. Your comments make me feel much better renting a car.

I think if you are used to driving on busy motorways etc the Milan ring road is nothing different. It also depends what time of day you'll be traveling. To perhaps find a quieter time put your planned route on Google maps and test different departure times. Traffic towards Milan is going to be worse early morning for example. Also bear in mind there are a lot fewer trucks around on Saturdays and Sundays which makes for a less stressful trip. Driving into and around Parma is no problem in my experience

I agree with Alpinista completely. We have driven around Milan and Florence on the Autostrada many times, and have had no difficulty.

has anyone ever been caught in a train strike in Italy? I’m told there is advance notice given, however, my understanding is that it’s just a few days.

I'm Italian and I can tell you that, as a norm, the strikes are on Fridays and they last 24 hours and yes, they tell you few days in advance about them. Even if Trenitalia is the National Public Railway Company, the Public Transportation System is managed indipendently by the singular regions and it can happen that not all the regions take part in the strikes. It really depends. Also, as someone mentioned before, a minimum number of train rides is always guaranteed.

On most of the train strike days, the Freccia trains are assured to run, and some of them stop at Parma. Many of the trains from Como to Milano Centrale are trains that continue from Switzerland and would probably run. I think you're unlikely to be affected by a strike if it isn't a Friday, as Sara says.

As long as you're driving around, and not into, Milan AND you time your trip carefully to avoid the morning commuting hours, you should be fine. Driving into Parma isn't difficult. A car is an absolute necessity in Umbria, and the driving there is much easier. Spello, by the way, is lovely.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina