• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Transit Time at Heathrow from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3?

Coldbrew

My wife and I will be passing through Heathrow in May on our way to Budapest. We have a 100 min layover, which I thought would be sufficient. But, in checking the Heathrow website and using their personalized flight connection planning service, it tells me to expect it to take 90 minutes to transit from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3, giving us only a 10 minute cushion; not much if there are any delays at all. We arrive on British Airways at 0710 at Terminal 5 and depart on BA at 0850 from terminal 3.

Does it really take 90 minutes to transit between terminals? If anyone can pass along any recent experiences, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Glad you found your way here. There was a similar discussion at https://www.sloweurope.com/communit...ection-time-at-heathrow-will-we-make-it.2226/ . It looks like the connection time is legal, but not sensible. If you have the option of changing the booking, you might look into it; otherwise, if you miss the connection, there are later flights to Budapest, which the airline would be required to put you on. You'd hope there are available seats on those flights, and you risk being in scattered middle seats.

I made that connection in about 60 minutes last year, but I moved as fast as I could and they were almost finished boarding when I arrived at my gate. I didn't plan it this way but my flight from LA was late.

I timed myself when I did the same transfer in December. It took right at 90 minutes from stepping off the first flight to arriving at the gate for the second flight. If you can make a change and expand the layover, it might be a very good idea.

I made that connection in about 60 minutes last year, but I moved as fast as I could and they were almost finished boarding when I arrived at my gate. I didn't plan it this way but my flight from LA was late.
I hope I am as lucky as you were. My wife hates running through airports and says she will never do it again, but I am telling her to wear her sneakers.

I timed myself when I did the same transfer in December. It took right at 90 minutes from stepping off the first flight to arriving at the gate for the second flight. If you can make a change and expand the layover, it might be a very good idea.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I would be interested in knowing what caused the biggest delay? Waiting to get thru security, time for bus to go between terminals? Unless my arriving flight is early or connecting flight is delayed, if it takes me 90 minutes I will miss my connection.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina