• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Transitting Britain.

drummer

10+ Posts
For some time now I have been growing less and less fond of flying. However, I live on an island in the West of Europe. Which leaves me with little alternative sometimes. Having said that, there are alternatives, although they usually require far more travel time. Typically 1.5 days each way where a 2-3hour flight would be the norm.

To be honest, the added travel time doesn’t phase me too much. Particularly because in most cases, there is a lengthy ferry crossing involved, ranging from 6 to 18 hours, depending on the route chosen. If one is to view this as a feature of the holiday, rather than commuting, then it is less daunting.

The reality is, however, that the extra time required means asking the boss for more time off. Not always a problem, but if there were a way of squeezing a few hours of the travel time, it might mean that I would one day less leave from work.

Still, I am determined to make these alternatives work.

Here’s an sample case of what I’ve been trying to make work recently:

Dublin - Amsterdam

FLYING
locations times time since left home
  • Home-Airport: 0300-0400 ( 1.0hrs)
  • Dub-Ams: 0600-0900 ( 6.0hrs)
  • Ams-Hotel: 0900-1000 ( 7.0hrs)

SURFACE
  • Home-Ferryport: 0630-0730 ( 1.0hrs)
  • Dub-Hhd: 0800-1200 ( 5.5hrs)
  • Hhd-Hawich 1430-2130 (15.0hrs)
  • Harwich-HoekVH: 2300-0800 (25.5hrs)
  • HoekVH-Amsterdam: 0830-1030 (28.0hrs)

The question is, how can I get into Amsterdam earlier ?
I can get into Britain within about 4hrs from home. Is there:
  1. a faster route across Britain ?
  2. and if so, an earlier connection to Benelux ?
  3. an alternative route direct Ireland-France and onward ?

I share your frustration with airports / the experience of flying. It's only ever remotely pleasant when flying from / to the smallest of airports, e.g. when I was flying Cambridge - Dublin, with Cambridge having a single lounge, single gate and car park to check-in desk was about a 1 minute walk! Sadly they pulled that route. Dublin airport not the worst airport and I'd say the same for Amsterdam Schipol. The worst bit at Dublin from memory were the queues for baggage scans (very variable in length) and passport checks just before exiting the airport - again very variable.

I've done the ferry from Harwich to Hoek vH many years ago, when the journey was ~ 7 hours, and it was an interesting experience, with space to walk around, go for a swim, watch a movie, dance in a disco etc. 2.5 hrs sounds much better.

The one option that's faster, though tiring and adds a logistical / cost overhead, is driving from Holyhead to Harwich. 6 hours that probably will feel anything but like a 'holiday'.

I'm seeing 6.5 hours for train from Holyhead to London Euston, a short tube ride on Metropolitan etc. line to London Liverpool St and then train to Harwich. The catch is likely to be getting just the right connection time, but that 2:49pm train out of Holyhead feels a safe bet for a noon arrival of the boat from Dublin. I'm not sure what the ferry time are though, and whether that allows for an earlier ferry from Harwich.

Overall, my gut feeling is that although the airport experience is rubbish, I'd still take that over having to change trains via a tube journey in London (which is also unpleasant), or any bus/coach options. Perhaps see which other carriers are on that route, other than Ryanair. A quick check suggests Aer Lingus (not sure what they're like these days) and KLM (who I've found OK in the past)

[The one option that's faster, though tiring and adds a logistical / cost overhead, is driving from Holyhead to Harwich. 6 hours that probably will feel anything but like a 'holiday'.]

I actually don't mind driving too much. The issue with this option is that it doesn't provide a faster connection or any other real benefit to trains.

[The catch is likely to be getting just the right connection time, but that 2:49pm train out of Holyhead feels a safe bet for a noon arrival of the boat from Dublin. I'm not sure what the ferry time are though, and whether that allows for an earlier ferry from Harwich.]

In theory, I could catch the 8pm ferry from Dublin. And thus get to Harwich earlier.
There are three issues with this plan:
  • I am trying to avoid taking more time off work. I work evenings.
  • Even if I did this, Arriving in Holyhead at midnight leaves you sitting until around 0430 for the first train.
  • Even if there was a train meeting the arrival of the ferry, there is no earlier ferry at Harwich. Actually there is, it's around 9am, which completely skews the schedule even further.
THANK YOU
Thanks for your input though. Any kind of tips and brainstorming are helpful. I think I will go with the schedule above and see how it pans out. I have some leave to play with anyway. If only I could arrive in Amsterdam around lunch on the Thu instead.

The trip doesn't bother me because the three main legs of it allow for relaxation:
  • 3.5hours on ferry from Dublin-Holyhead.
  • 5.0hours on train from Holyhead-London.
  • 6.0hours on ferry from Harwich-Hoek.
INSANITY
I know it seems insane. But the issues with flying for me are:
How manic the process is in some cases:- arrive at airport; queue for security; redrress/repack; wait at gate; queue for boarding; sit in seats that are far too small for a couple of hours with the chance that you could be trapped on the plane if they decide there is a delay.

Also, the lies. If it were that important to be on time for the flight, then surely there wouldn't be time to go shopping once you're airside. It's a con.

Also, why should we arrive 2hrs prior to flight when they should actually improve screening process. It's an arduous process.

My husband has also become very frustrated with the whole airport experience. I have tried to get him to put it into perspective by reminding him of our not-to-distant ancestors, and how they traversed the same distance. Coming to Chicago from Hamburg, they boarded ships and were most certainly put into steerage, with "cabins" separated from one another by curtains. God only knows where the toilet was located and how many had to share it. Of course, they had to get to Hamburg--his from Poland and Lithuania, mine from northern Germany--which probably took days or weeks. Then came the voyage. Weeks? They probably had to eat their own food, or perhaps were given (weevil filled) biscuits. Then came a long train ride on non-padded seats with smoke from the coal burning engines wafting through the windows. More weevil filled biscuits. Anyhow, I pointed this out to him as comparison, and it worked once or twice. Then he again started complaining about security lines and cramped seats. 21st century perspective I guess. I've been traveling alone a lot.

My husband has also become very frustrated with the whole airport experience. I have tried to get him to put it into perspective by reminding him of our not-to-distant ancestors, and how they traversed the same distance. Coming to Chicago from Hamburg, they boarded ships and were most certainly put into steerage, with "cabins" separated from one another by curtains. God only knows where the toilet was located and how many had to share it. Of course, they had to get to Hamburg--his from Poland and Lithuania, mine from northern Germany--which probably took days or weeks. Then came the voyage. Weeks? They probably had to eat their own food, or perhaps were given (weevil filled) biscuits. Then came a long train ride on non-padded seats with smoke from the coal burning engines wafting through the windows. More weevil filled biscuits. Anyhow, I pointed this out to him as comparison, and it worked once or twice. Then he again started complaining about security lines and cramped seats. 21st century perspective I guess. I've been traveling alone a lot.
Hmm.
Weevil-filled biscuits and choking smoke sounds like heaven to me.

Seriously though, you're right, it's far better today. However, I would still choose several days of travel over 6hours of being harrassed through the flying process.

FWIW no disagreement from me on the dreadful airport/airline experience. I agree with all of that, though I still have some ability to compartmentalise it, and accept it as the grim bookends of the holiday.

I just had a look at alternative trains, and there is also the option of going from Holyhead to Birmingham, then Birmingham to Cambridge, and then onto Harwich (and I think Ely is an alternative to Cambridge)

+ves:
- You might luck on a better schedule - the longer journey meaning less waiting around elsewhere
- Ely or Cambridge might appeal as a stopover destination e.g. a chance to see Ely's cathedral and walk along the river or Cambridge Uni and / or the shopping.
- Changing trains is merely a change of platform, not the grim cattle herding of the London underground.
- Should be some good scenery, and I always love going over the flood plain a mile or two west of Ely: a wide river / canal in winter and grazing animals in summer

-ves
- Longer journey than going via London
- Some of those 'sprinter' train services can be more likely to be delayed (though delays are possible on every route)

Thanks again Ian.
- Changing trains is merely a change of platform, not the grim cattle herding of the London underground.
I actually don't mind a train change. So long as it's not too often and for short journeys.
Example, taking 5x40min journeys to get to get to London would be hellish. I'd much rather take one 8hour journey.
Also, if the changes require a trudge across a major city, it makes it less attractive.

Birmingham new st would be up some steps up from the platform and then a short walk to the departure platform. The only issue, is it's likely to be busy (that's Birmingham for you!).

Ely has 3 platforms, with platforms 2 and 3 backing onto each other. If either train uses platform 1, it's two slopes rather than steps to cross the line, so wheeled luggage is even easier. There's also a good little coffee 'hut' on platform 1 which used to be surprisingly decent for coffee. In addition there's a newsagent on platform 1, plus a basic but warm cafe on platform 2/3. You might also catch a game of Rugby on the pitches over the back of platform 3

Cambridge sits between the two in size

Last edited:
I have looked at a travel day or overnight trip now as "Just one night's bad sleep."
I keep reminding myself of this as I am on my journey to get "there", wherever "there" happens to be that particular trip.
Wishing everyone smooth(er) travels this year.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina