• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Transport for London - walking maps

Felicity

10+ Posts
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/walking/?cid=walking Transport for London has produced new, enhanced walking maps. When I first came to London many moons ago I had no idea some tube stations were so close to each other and I probably spent hours getting there underground by a circuitous route when I could have just walked in five minutes. One of my flats was in Sussex Gardens. It took me a few weeks to realise that Paddington Station and Lancaster Gate tube stops were a few minutes from each other on foot because I hadn't looked at a street map. Quite apart from the joy of walking and seeing things on foot, this helps those who are unfamiliar with the positions of the tube stations.

Yes, getting a pocket street map is the one item I suggest visitors to London get. It is not that rare to find you've walked further in grubby underground tunnels, with stale air, to wait for a crowded tube, etc. compared to just strolling there in (moderately) fresh air.

Buses are an alternative but not as easy to understand as that masterful tube design (albeit it's great readability compromises its reality - hence the problems described)

Also worth bearing in mind the river ferries which can on occasions be the right option if needing to get from one river location to another, and again there is fresher air.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina