• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Travel Hints - aka "Lessons Experienced the Hard Way"

Colo

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Many of us here on Slow Europe are experienced travelers, but there are many who visit this board are new travelers seeking information. The board members here do a great job of answering questions regarding the planned location, places to see, where to eat, and many other topics to help the newbie. My thought in this post was… wouldn’t it be nice to answer a few questions or provide information that the inexperienced traveler may not know or even think about. You know the ones we probably learned the hard way.

My Hint

Travelling with friends both of them had credit cards, but unfortunately they were from the same company and had the same number. After a herd of young girls surrounded us at the Pisa train station my friend’s wallet was end up missing… Immediately he cancelled the card, but since both cards had the same number his wife's card was now dead. They lost access to their funds until new cards could be sent by FEDEX.

Moral of the Story:
When travelling with a partner make sure credit card numbers are different for each card.

One thing I always tell people is to keep a journal. I am old fashioned and keep a written journal, but it can be on a device as well.
Our first trip overseas was to the UK in 2004 for our son's wedding. My biggest regret is that I did not keep a journal .We now realise how much we have forgotten. I began on our next trip in 2006, and I now keep a journal each day on what we did, how we felt, weather , anything special that happened. I also started keeping a 'food' journal. This includes meals out, new foods we discover, how we enjoyed a new cheese, markets, shops, meals I cooked which we enjoyed, musings on the differences between baguettes. Anything food related. I stick in the card from the goats' cheese lady, the sticker off a cheese , the label off that delicious nougat. Re reading these gives me a great deal of pleasure in between trips.
We have just started looking at photos from our trips from the beginning and are on to 2006 (UK and France) and having something written down has really enhanced our memories.

I carry two wallets when I travel.

One is very flat (RFID) and contains my credit and debit cards, my ID, insurance card, driver's license. At times, it also includes extra cash that I need for a specific purpose. That is stored in the inside zip pocket of my purse. It was the one Richard carried in his front pants' pocket. It's so flat, it works really well. It's like this one. http://www.ebags.com/product/rogue-wallets/rfid-traveler-series-wallet/260275?productid=10261768

The second wallet contains my "walking around" cash for the day, usually no more than 100 Euros or so. If someone picks my purse, they'll get the cash wallet. I can live with that loss. It would be difficult to lose my ID, credit/debit cards, etc. Although a robbery is possible, but less likely, then no one's life is worth the risk of trying to hang on to valuables. Throw it at them and run!

When I fly (now solo), I carry a small "pocket" purse for my iPhone, passport, RFID wallet, etc. It's a real purse, not one of the traveler pouches, but it's small and black and the flight attendants have never asked me to remove it during takeoff/landing. It's cross body, so when I get up to visit the lavatory, it goes with me. When I arrive at my destination, I switch to my regular purse and the two-wallet scenario. I also carry the pocket purse when walking my dog on the local wooded trails, but it doesn't contain valuables, just my phone, dog poop bags and pepper spray.

I started taking these precautions when I became a solo traveler. I no longer had another person along to split up the cash, credit/debit cards, etc.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Security is probably worth as a travel resource in its own right (wasn't there one on the old Slowtrav site?). I'll just add one more on that subject.

You can certainly vary your approach and it's probably a good idea to vary your mindset depending on where you'll be / what you're doing. A simple mental checklist helps get a feel for the risk e.g.

- Are you in a very transient place e.g. tourist area or train station?
- Is it likely to be so busy that people can 'accidentally' bump into you and you'd not think anything of it?
- Does the city / location have a reputation for petty crime?
- Are you new to the area and/or know you'll stand out like a stranger in a strange place

The more 'yes' answers, the more risky, and the more caution you should apply. However if going for a walk in a rural setting and stopping off for meal in a local trattoria, then although you might have a yes for the final answer, I'd be very relaxed indeed. However if I'm on a crowded bus heading towards the coliseum in Rome, I'll want to take more precautions and still be alert to what is going on around me.

FWIW I've not suffered any thefts on my travels, the closest I've come to it is on cricket tour when in Amsterdam one of our group got 'bumped into' by a small group of locals, which also involved relieving him of his wallet from his inside jacket pocket. They were off down the side streets before he realised. One of the upsides of where we go, is that we very rarely find ourselves in hot spots for petty crime and tend to avoid the major tourist sites.

p.s. I've also used Cameron's technique of a 'petty cash' reserve for using in areas I'm concerned about, leaving the bulk of the money and cards out of use and hence out of sight.

I'll try and come up with a few wider traveller advice comments later

I love to take pictures of signs, and one of my favorite signs was in Amsterdam. Loosely translated I am told, "While you ae shopping - So are they."

NDS290.jpg

When travelling in Europe I have never felt threaten or uncomfortable, however your advice on vigilance is well put.

My next recommendation for travel in Europe to new travelers. Eat Local - Drink Local!

The food and wines/beers in most areas are perfectly paired for the food of that is offered.
There has been centuries of evolution of food and wine in Europe. It is part of the experience.
Oh yeah just like your momma told you - At least do a Courtesy Taste everything. Ok maybe not haggis... :wft:

I write a detailed itinerary for our trip, with flights, rental car, accommodations. I structure it by day and it includes all contact details. I carry one, Steve carries one and I keep one online. It gives me one piece of paper with everything we need as we go through the trip. I also print out the documents for all our bookings.

A few years ago I booked a hotel for the wrong night and did not realize until standing at the locked gates of the hotel at 7pm after traveling all day. Now a week before we leave we take my itinerary and the printed documents and Steve reads the itinerary while I check the documents to go over dates, contact info to make sure everything is booked the way we intended.

Italy specific
- Travel tickets. When taking a train where you are not booked on a specific train, then you must validate your ticket in the machines (these used to be yellow, but seem increasingly to sport the Trenitalia colours / logo and can be usually found at the exit of the ticket office / entrance to the platforms). If you fail to do this, then write the data and time on the ticket. If you have no pen, make an attempt to find the guard on the train. If however they arrive at your seat and you've not validated the ticket, expect a fine. Similar arrangements apply to many buses / coaches.

- Train announcements. Italian train announcements name both the start point and end point of the train journey. It is easy to hear the former and end up on a train going exactly in the wrong direction. Luckily for us the only time we've done this was in Cinque Terre, where the next stop was only a few minutes away. Embarrassing though, as I had the sea to set my bearings, so really should have known which platform.

- Lunchtime break. Less obvious in tourist locations, but in the vast majority of Italy, shops and some museums etc. will shut every day for lunch between ~ 12.30/1 to 3.30/4pm. Restaurants, bars etc. remain open, but this can make a place seem like there is nothing there because the plain shutters hide the fact that there is a business there. Always factor this period into your travel plans, which can be tricky if you don't have the chance to go back to hotel etc. for a brief siesta.

- Passeggiata. The flip side of the above problem, is when everything opens up again (~ 3.30/4 to 7.30/8 pm) then the most pleasing pedestrianised areas / thoroughfares are often the place where people converge for a post lunch stroll, ice-cream, coffee etc. to catch up on local news / gossip and with friends. There is often a lovely atmosphere and it's a great experience for those who love people watching to get a greater awareness of the culture. The most vibrant passeggiate at often in quite humdrum towns / cities that don't see much in the way of tourism, so be prepared to try somewhere off the beaten track.

- Paying for coffees / fresh food etc. in older / traditional places. This can be very inconsistent and causes a lot of confusion for customers. The really traditional way of ordering a coffee, is to go to the person sat at the till (often away from the counter), say what you want and pay for it. Then take the receipt to the bar and hand it to the barista saying what it is that you want. In a similar way, some food shops have you ordering the food from those behind the counter, then once you ordered everything, they'll hand you the receipt whilst they continue (the usually stylish) wrapping. You go to the person at the till and pay for the food and the original assistant will then hand you the bag of food now properly wrapped. However... many places now have the same person who serves you, taking the money for it, so it's closer to what you'd normally experience. There is a brilliant resource here on coffees in Italy, so you'll find much more info there.

more later I suspect...

Always, always know where you are staying! Have the address and local phone number (physically and on your phone) with you.

One Christmas Eve in Paris a woman and her 5 children emerged from the subway and she frantically began pleading "Help us. We're lost" in Spanish. They were from Mexico on a group tour. During their free time they went walking around the city and now it was 8:00pm. She had no idea of the arrondissement, the hotel, the tour company. She only knew the area was very international, a lot of construction and had larger hotels. I speak Spanish and French and after over an hour of calling (and many kind receptionists) was able to determine where they were staying. We put them on the subway with a map, tickets and her info in case they got lost again...!

I travel solo a lot, usually at the beginning and end of trips, having been with friends for the main middle portion of the trip, so I might be on my own for 1 day or one week, depending.
I do lots of thing to ensure safety and peace of mind.
I too write out the entire itinerary, take a copy with me, leave one on the computer, leave one at home.
Also photocopy my Passport, bank cards and birth certificate; leave a copy at home.
I take another copy, and together with 50-100 of whatever currency of the country I am in at the time: put these in a small ziplock bag, then slip it under the insole in my shoe or boot.
That way , if I am robbed or lose something, I always have ID and money, till I can put things right.
I take a tiny notebook, and write in it every day while I'm away; and I also have written in it numbers of my Embassies and Consulates for where I will be; and also the numbers English speaking doctors/hospitals.
Also in there are numbers for all my emergency contacts back home, and contacts of my hotels and vacation apartment landlords where I am going.
This book is in my small cross body bag at all times, and never leaves me.
It's saved me more than once; and I've been able to help other travelers by giving them doctors numbers when needed.
Also: put the numbers of your vacation apartment landlords / hotels into your phone before leaving home; in the correct format as if you were dialing them in your vacation country.
That way you can get right through instead of fumbling for plus signs, codes, etc.
I also write detailed directions for getting to places , that way I'm not standing on a street corner looking at a big map and looking vulnerable.
I just look like I'm reading a book.
All sounds trivial, but makes me feel better when I'm on my own!
Good idea for a thread, BTW.

At least in Italy, grocery stores do not want you touching the veggies or fruits with your bare hands. There are usually bins that have plastic gloves, to use. Also, if you don't bring your own bags to bag groceries, they will charge you for the ones they provide. It's not much however.

I made a LOT of mistakes in my early years of European travel! It's funny to look back and remember how naive we were. I still make a few, but I've definitely learned from mistakes.

I wrote a blog post about this back in 2010, based on a session in a non-credit class I used to teach on "Planning Your European Vacation." This discussion is from my blog about some of my major "lessons learned." (Notice the emphasis on slow travel!)

Planning a trip with several destinations that were too far apart, which meant entire days spent getting from one location to another. On my first trip to Europe with two girlfriends, we spent five of our 13 days on trains, traveling from one big city to another in four different countries. I’ve learned to cluster destinations more closely together to limit travel time and see and do more during my vacation time.

Traveling too quickly and moving to different hotels every day or two. This was our pattern in our first several trips, when we wanted to see everything and try lots of quaint European hotels. On our family’s first 10-day trip to England, we stayed in five different hotels. Charley and I didn’t realize how much time we would spend searching for our hotels, finding parking places, checking in and out, and hauling our baggage into tiny elevators or up several flights of stairs. We’ve learned to slow down and stay longer in fewer places, getting to know a place and its rhythms. We’ve learned that “less” is often “more” when traveling in Europe, and our trips are much more relaxing.

Spending way too much money on mediocre meals especially in places with heavy tourist traffic. All we remember about that pizza lunch in Venice ($100) and the gelato in Florence ($27 for three cones) is our shock when we received the bills. Charley once spent over $14 for a beer at the Café le Paix in Paris—although he did enjoy the environment at his sidewalk table looking out at the Opera House. We’ve learned that for good, less-expensive food, eat where locals eat—not places that are mainly there for tourists. We’ve learned to buy food at outdoor markets and groceries, to enjoy picnics and meals cooked in our apartment. We watch for hidden costs, like the “coperto” in Italy. And we’ve learned how to ask “how much?” in every language… and that we can walk away when we look at the prices in the menu and realize it’s more than we want to spend.

Failing to read the fine print related to a rental cars, directions or reservations. One of our most expensive mistakes while traveling was putting regular gas in a diesel car. Our car broke down on a day trip to the Salzkammergut in Austria, on a Sunday afternoon the day after Christmas. Kind mechanics rescued us and opened up their car dealership to repair our car, but we ended up with a bill of over $500 and several hours spent waiting in a darkened showroom. On another early trip we drove two hours out of the way to a village of the same name when I didn’t properly check the location of our rental cottage in Burgundy, France. I’ve learned to check and double check the small details, and we always know what type of car we’re driving!

Not researching schedules and ticket requirements. The biggest disappointment of our 2002 trip to England was arriving at Jane Austen’s cottage five minutes after closing time. This was to be one of the high points of the trip, and I was in tears when we weren’t able to go inside, especially after making such a long drive to get there. In 2004 we a hiked a couple of miles to Monte Oliveto Maggiore, a famous abbey in Tuscany, to discover had just closed for three hours at lunchtime. On that same trip, during our four days in Florence, we learned we should have ordered tickets to the famous art museums at least a month before our visit. I’ve learned to carefully check the schedules of any destinations we plan to visit, recognizing that many European sites are closed one or two days a week, have different schedules at different times of year, may be closed at lunchtime, and may have advance ticket purchase requirements.

Taking too much luggage, especially when traveling by train. We had a couple of miserable train experiences early in our European travels because we had more luggage than we could easily carry onto the train. I found this extremely stressful! I still remember the indignant look of the woman seated near us on the train from Nuremberg to Munich as we frantically tried to find places to store all our bags. Once in England we had to upgrade to a more-expensive larger car when the car we reserved didn’t have enough space for the three of us and our luggage. I’ve learned to make good choices about the clothes I bring, wear everything at least twice, and always plan to do laundry or hand-washing. I limit myself to a 26” rolling bag (often now a 24") and a carryon I can wear on my back or sling over my shoulder. And I always make sure to have extra space in my bag for the trip over, so there’s room for purchases on the way back.

Wearing brand new shoes that looked stylish but weren’t right for walking and that I’d barely worn before the trip. Although I knew better, I did this a few years ago when I went to study French in Aix-en-Provence. I ended up having to walk over a mile from the shuttle bus stop to my B&B with my luggage, which fortunately was minimal. The next morning I was out early, looking for a pharmacy and trying to remember the French word for bandaid (pansement). I’ve learned to set style aside, buy practical shoes for my trips, purchase them several weeks before the trip, and walk in them a lot before I leave.

You can see the whole post here: http://slowtraveltours.com/blog/learning-from-mistakes/

Some brilliant ones from Kathy and Joe, especially the understanding of why you see more with slow travel, not less (unless you enjoy packing/unpacking, transfers and checking in/out :wacky:), plus the local currency, ideally with some coins as well as notes, but that's harder to get generally.

FWIW we always try to go off season (Apr-May or Sep-Oct), so I very much support Joe's suggestion. Cheaper, more relaxed, more comfortable temperatures :cool:

Have researched options, and then have opportunity for internet access to improvise "Plan B" for when the unexpected happens. In last year's France trip, we were in Paris during the unusually heavy rains and coincided with nationwide strikes that resulted in brief gas shortages. Flooded roads, train strikes, gas shortages--we had to readjust our transportation, bookings, and plans to take it all into account.

It sounds basic, but I've been struck by the numbers of people who don't have Europe-enabled smartphone, tablet or laptops when they travel. Or when at the train station, were completely unaware that their train had been cancelled the day before.

Last edited:
Lots of great tips, here.
I would add:
Never accept currency conversion - paying in dollars instead of pounds/euros on a credit card. You'll pay more fees this way. The first time we experienced this, we didn't know.

I now like to make a custom google map of the locations I want to visit. It helps me group activities together & have restaurant options in different areas. After I visit something on my map, I color it red and make a comment so I can remember it for the future.

We've been using Iceland Air for Europe. The food is not a selling point, but we like that we can go through passport control in Iceland and arrive as a local flight for our final destination.

I've also had many nice conversations with people after I've complimented them on their dogs :)

At least in Italy, grocery stores do not want you touching the veggies or fruits with your bare hands. There are usually bins that have plastic gloves, to use. Also, if you don't bring your own bags to bag groceries, they will charge you for the ones they provide. It's not much however.

Also in many grocery stores, you must weigh the produce (usually the scales have pictures so that you don't have to know the Italian word), and place the price sticker on the plastic bag of produce. Be careful though -- can't tell you how many times I've gotten the sticker stuck to the plastic gloves instead of the bag. Slap stick, for sure.

Never accept currency conversion - paying in dollars instead of pounds/euros on a credit card. You'll pay more fees this way. The first time we experienced this, we didn't know.

Twice during our trip to France last October we were automatically charged in dollars at restaurants in northern Provence. Both times the owners explained that their banks had told them this was actually beneficial to their clients! One owner reversed the charge and then charged us in euros, and the other, for some reason unable to do that, gave us a lovely bottle of wine. Those experiences almost make me want to ask to be charged in euros at the beginning of the payment process.

We all know not to wear expensive/showy jewelry while traveling, right? Well, think twice about costume jewelry, too.

In Naples last year, having left all of my good jewelry at home, I wore a "gold" chain necklace that had cost me all of $2. As I was walking down the main street, two boys on a scooter zipped by, ripped the chain off my neck and kept on going. While I wasn't upset at the loss of a $2 necklace, it was still quite shocking to have my necklace ripped from my neck. That cheap junk must have looked pretty good from the back of a fast-moving scooter ... lesson learned.

For those based in the UK (last time I heard these weren't available in the US), Euro currency cards can be a cost effective way of exchanging money. We use Fair FX but there are others and always worth checking the precise charging structure vs. typical rates.

The rate we get is typically a couple of points better than the banks/high street currency exchange e.g. M&S / John Lewis (say 1.16 rather than 1.14). Charges are a set amount per withdrawal at a cash machine, but no charge if used to pay directly for something, making it much better in that situation.

Although it works like a debit card, it's really just a cash card, so you're not allowed to go overdrawn. We've also found it very useful for buying from Europe and being able to pay in Euros.

Another more basic one.

The well-trodden tourist trail is often a safe introduction to a country. Waiters/Waitresses etc. often speak your language, be that French, German, Italian, Spanish or English and menus are often presented to you in your own language, in places within sight of a famous site. What could be easier? It is easy and for a first visit, with no language skills, it can be an unstressful choice.

However such restaurants etc. aren't subject to the usual scrutiny that the locals apply, where a poor experience is discussed with friends and if shared, then that place is avoided. Review sites aren't necessarily good indicators (a whole different conversation). Individual tourists rarely return, so the pressure isn't so great, as there is another coach arriving in an hour... The net result is that many well-placed (for famous sites) restaurants are over-priced and of often poor quality.

So what's the solution? Certainly do a little prep before you go, but also be very wary of places in sight of a tourist destination, and where someone dressed as a waiter hangs around outside encouraging people to eat there. Menus in different languages are also a warning sign, but not on their own a red light these days. Pictures of the food being displayed is often a very bad sign, and I've very rarely seen flattering photos of this type. Getting even a minute's walk away from that famous site can really up your chances of a better meal/experience.

Venturing far off the tourist trail often reveals some lovely places, but IME also very many more lovely people, for whom hospitality is a cultural way of life, rather than an industry to work in. Learning the language is often very useful indeed, occasionally essential, but always likely to get you greater respect and a better chance to make the most of the friendliness and hospitality of people unjaded by the tourist hordes.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina