• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Travel Insurance

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Do you buy travel insurance? If you do, I'd like to know why you think it's a good investment.
  • Is the coverage offered when you buy a plane ticket or vacation package good enough?
  • If not, where do I buy travel insurance - and how do I know which company is best?
  • What inclusions and exclusions are mandatory, which are ones I might not have known about?
  • Assuming there are different levels of coverage, how do you rate coverage versus cost?
Mu daughter just asked me about this, and I told her if might be a worthwhile investment for a trip she won't take until March 2016. Lots can happen before then, even at her age (at any age!). I think at our ages (63 and 69), travel insurance might be worth the cost just in case either of us were ever injured/incapacitated while we're in Europe. Anything else?

We started buying travel insurance five years ago after my husband had some medical issues and there was a greater possibility of canceling. Thankfully, we haven't have to make a claim.

I don't go overboard on the coverage. I buy the insurance (Travel Guard) from British Airways shortly after booking our flights. Our travels are usually three months in Europe. I am not as concern about recovering costs but want to have medical and evacuation coverage.

I started buying travel insurance, a few years ago when I was in my mid-60s, at the instigation of
a travel agent friend, with whom I was doing a tour of lavender fields in Provence. She has had experience,both personal and professional, with the need of it, and I usually do it now... especially if the trip is with other people
who may have issues, or far in advance, as with your daughter.
Just because... you never know. I usually use Travel Guard, but check the website
insuremytrip.com
for various levels and companies to compare.
And, as always, check what your current insurance would cover, and what your credit card covers, as well.
Then, it's up to personal choice re: what it costs, what might be necessary and most comfortable.

I don't think there are many problems re: when to buy, etc... I have always just put in my travel dates, chosen the coverage I want, and pushed the button.

Good luck
Karen

We buy travel insurance for international travel. Many times our trips are planned, and partially paid for, well in advance of the dates of travel. At our ages (64 and 70) we could experience medical issues either before or during travel and feel more comfortable knowing we are covered either if we would need to cancel or if the trip is interrupted due to some medical issue. Also, my husband's parents are still alive and, at 95 and 97, we never know when a trip might need to be cancelled or interrupted. Several years ago my sister was traveling with us in Florence, Italy and she fell and broke one ankle and severely sprained the other. Although she was not charged for the emergency medical care she received, she had to alter her travel plans and fly home in pain with her ankle immobilized. Her travel insurance paid for an upgrade to business class seats for her and her husband because she needed to keep her ankle elevated and needed more room for her and her crutches.

I recently started buying medical evacuation insurance when I travel internationally. And now I'm just about to reach another age milestone before my next trip, which will make it even more expensive, but I think it's worth it for the peace of mind of being able to be treated where you wish. And also, as I generally travel alone, this pays for a family member (or friend?) to fly over and accompany you home.
As for regular travel insurance: I sometimes buy it and sometimes don't.

Try using a credit card that gives you trip cancellation, baggage etc for free. Medical is usually covered in an emergency by your health insurance, Check with your insurer. Is there any need for any other insurance?

Last edited by a moderator:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina