• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Travel purse

chachalaca

100+ Posts
How many bags can one woman buy? I feel like I've bought so many purses looking for the "perfect" one. I am not a "handbag" maven, so I'm not looking for trendy, chic and recognizable as high fashion. At home I use the Roots Prince bag (made as close to home as possible, Canada, and just holds the basics).

Pauline, in some web searching I see you once bought a Daymakers bag. Do you/did you love it? Do you still use it?

Traveling, I like the idea of room for a water bottle. Not a deal breaker, though. If it could work as a small carry on and a day purse that would be great!

And…at the risk of everyone falling off their chairs in laughter, has anyone tried a "Shouldit"? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SIA30LU...lid=1D7T49QEYMVWM&coliid=I1QWK0ORHQ23K2&psc=1 I like this in theory for going out for dinner or somewhere when I don't want to carry anything…

Okay, please stop laughing and send in your suggestions.
And thanks in advance,
Laura

That Shouldit is ridiculous! Usually every trip, I end up buying another new one in search of something more convenient. This one went to Barcelona with me last fall, Paris/Nice this month, and will be going to Italy in May. For me, it's the right size and weight and the pockets and sections seem to work fairly well for what I want to carry.

It's not terribly big, though, and wouldn't work as a carry on, unless you don't have much to carry on. It also doesn't have room for a water bottle.

@Chris you always find the best purses! I like that one and I like Baggellini.

I am still using the one you (Chris) bought in the US for me - eBags Piazza Day Bag. I think Mindy first posted about it on Facebook. I like it because it has a nice pocket for sunglasses and I can put a water bottle in it. But maybe it has a few too many pockets.

I remember that Daymakers bag but only used it on a couple of trips. I probably still have it in a box somewhere. It has a wire through the shoulder strap, so someone can't cut the bag off you - which was good.

I love that Shouldit!! You could just have a few things with you in it. But, you need to be in weather where you want a scarf I guess.

I've got that Piazza Day Bag too. I couldn't remember why I didn't like it, so I just went to look. It's two things -- that big flap and the smallish zipper in the main compartment that makes it hard to put my kindle or iPad in. Also, mine is a kind of muddy brown that I'm not crazy about.

@Chris I think you like that one purse because it's got Provence in the name!!

So I am not fashionable with my "purse" but I am very practical. I've been using this Rick Steves day pack for several years. We used to give them out on some of our trips and I have them in several colors. I use a new one every year. It is very light, and I like the three pockets. I really like a backpack because it's "hands free." In a crowded market, I'll just carry it on my front. (Like I said, I'm not fashionable, but it works in any environment, including on a day hike.) I do carry a bottle of water, a small first aid kit etc.

I also take a small black baggalini purse on our trips that I take when we go out in the evening... trying to be just a bit more stylish!

I'm sure I was attracted by the name:), but I wouldn't have stayed with it if it didn't work for me. I prefer cross-body, and I try to keep the bag as small and lightweight as possible.

Ladies! This is rather funny. We could/should have a bag swap! Or a bag-lady party to compare and design THE PERFECT BAG.

I like that Baggallini bag, Chris. I have 4 others on my "wish list" at amazon, just so I can have them all in one place - I"m adding yours. The ones on my list are Travelon anti-theft messenger, Travelon anti-theft Signature messenger, Travelon slim shoulder small, and a Pacsafe GII messenger. The Daymakers bag, stuffed in Pauline's closet, was on my list, but if one of you gurus has relegated a bag to the deeps of a closet it is not a "keeper" in my mind. I've also considered the Piazza bag…but...

I realize I could just use my "real" purse, buy another in a summery-er color or as Kathy suggested use a daypack (with I have) and a small purse for nicer occasions. And I just might do one of those things. But in the mean time I love hearing what you all suggest and seeing what others are using.

Regarding the "Shouldit"…Chris, you KNOW it's ridiculous because you HAVE one, or because the idea is ridiculous? It really intrigues me - the knit one, in white or ivory. I've seen French women wear scarves in August. I might just order one for fun. I'm chuckling at myself; as I'm sure you all are as well.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Laura

I don't know it's ridiculous, but I immediately envisioned myself overloading it so it would hang like a bag of rocks around my neck.

You are making me laugh!! I can see myself doing the same thing…but for a key and a cc or lip gloss…? And a few euro, a phone, oh, man! You're right. Shoot. I was HOPING you knew first hand and had been the guinea pig or that bought it. Dang!

I bet it was something on the "Shark Tank"!!

I have at least one Travelon in the Big Box of Travel Purses That Didn't Work for Me on a shelf in my closet. But we all have our own particular requirements and habits. At home I always use a very small leather crossbody bag just big enough for my phone and wallet (and pen and chapstick and mirror and tiny measuring tape and comb and roll of antacids and a few other things, as long as they are fairly flat), so I'm always looking to minimize the size of my travel bag. When I worked full time in front of a computer screen, I always had neck/shoulder issues that were aggravated by a heavy bag, and it's just become a habit to keep it as light as possible. Those who use big bags at home will have a completely different perspective.

I bought the Haymaker a couple of years ago. (One of you probably recommended it on ST?!?) I really like it. It is big enough for my needs, but not too big. I need space for the phone, wallet, glasses case, map, chapstick.....it works. I like cross-body bags, in general, though.

Chris, I think we have the same purse-sense. Jan, too! I'm going to check out the Haymaker.

Uh, is Haymaker the company or design. There are a lot of bags with haymaking scenes - I had no idea!

Last edited:
How many bags can one woman buy? I feel like I've bought so many purses looking for the "perfect" one. I am not a "handbag" maven, so I'm not looking for trendy, chic and recognizable as high fashion. At home I use the Roots Prince bag (made as close to home as possible, Canada, and just holds the basics).

Pauline, in some web searching I see you once bought a Daymakers bag. Do you/did you love it? Do you still use it?

Traveling, I like the idea of room for a water bottle. Not a deal breaker, though. If it could work as a small carry on and a day purse that would be great!

And…at the risk of everyone falling off their chairs in laughter, has anyone tried a "Shouldit"? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SIA30LU...lid=1D7T49QEYMVWM&coliid=I1QWK0ORHQ23K2&psc=1 I like this in theory for going out for dinner or somewhere when I don't want to carry anything…

Okay, please stop laughing and send in your suggestions.
And thanks in advance,
Laura
Is that Shouldit a joke?

Purses, bags. yes a pain. Kathy the Rick Steves one looks so big with that pouch in front. I also want to look a little stylish in the evenings so a backpack doesn't cut it all the time. For one of my extended stay in Nice I bought a little pack. Forget the company. It seemed perfect. Not too big and not too small with narrow shoulder straps. Disaster!!. No matter what I did to tighten them those straps just slid right off my shoulders. I ended up buying a much larger shoulder bag and using that till I returned home.
I contacted the company and said it was a flaw in their design. No way. It's a very popular design. Here's what I discovered. You can't wear it with a coat or any slippery material as it just slides off. So came summer I wore it every day and didn't touch the other one as it is too big.

For England, I got a very light pack. Very daypack with just one compartment. I hate lots of pockets and compartments. It was great but b/c the material is so light and flexible, the zippier is always catching. I also brought a regular purse. But that was a long trip.

For my 2 weeks in Italy I think I'm bringing a turquois small leather shoulder bag and one of the above mentioned day packs. Either the one that slips off my houlders or the one where the zipper catches.:)

I've given up trying to carry water bottles as too awkward unless hiking

I have the eBags Piazza Day Bag too and love it. I've had mine for almost three years and it's still in great shape, although I use it pretty much every day. It holds my iPad Mini just fine and so much other stuff without looking enormous. Unlike Lisa, I like lots of pockets to keep things sorted out.

I am reading this thread, nodding my head in agreement, sharing your hopes and frustrations! I too am still searching. I have the Piazza Day Bag, and while I love it for use at home, it just doesn't work for vacation - too many pockets, and it's too large - if I fill it up (and of course I do) it's to heavy and my shoulder aches after a day out.

I ordered this bag a few months ago, hoping it would be the perfect purse for travel. I've only used it once, and I discovered that my regular wallet is way too big to be practical. Since I use a much smaller wallet for vacation, I'm going to try the purse again with my travel wallet when we go to Florida next week....and then I'll probably end up ordering the Baggallini Provence (once I get over the cost!). The search continues......

Last edited by a moderator:
Barb, that little backpack is cute! The other link wouldn't work for me.
Sometimes zappos has baggallini bags on sale and someone on ST once said they found baggallini at TJMaxx so I looked and they often have some. Since it was before you all turned me towards the Provence style I cannot say if that bag ends up there, but it's worth a look. I've also seen baggallini on Zulily.

Chris, do you have an iPad mini or an iPad that you put in the Provence? And is the shoulder drop enough? The details say its 26"…should be good.

Since Barb mentioned wallets, should we go there? I am rather relieved that I'm not the only one with a separate set of purse/wallet issues.

"Hello. My name is Laura and I have travel purse issues…"

My iPad mini fits perfectly. I don't think a full-size iPad would.

I have wallet issues as well. I recently bought a new one that made me frown every time I looked at it this trip because it was taking up too much space. In fact, this discussion just prompted me to move back into my previous smaller wallet!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina