• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Trekking poles on plane

cmd

10+ Posts
We will be going to the Amalfi coast in April and plan on hiking. We fly only with carry-on luggage. We have collapsible trekking poles which would fit in the carry-on. I have looked online to see if this is allowed, but the info I saw is not at all clear. I know the poles are allowed in checked bags but we do not want to check our bags. The other alternative might be to use one pole and say it is a required assistive device. Has anyone carried the collapsible poles in their carry-on?
Also, as an FYI, Aerlingus has a great price, with great timetable, from JKF to Naples.
thanks

I bought a collapsible hiking pole in Spain due to a foot injury and decided to try to bring it home. I flew easyJet which does say that a stick is allowed outside of hand luggage. However since by that time I no longer relied on it for walking and tended to keep forgetting it and leaving it behind I put it in my hand luggage in three pieces. They hand checked my bag going through security but said ok no problem for the pole.....It had a round flat rubber tip, not a spike, I don't know if that makes a difference, best thing would be to check directly with airports.

TSA states trekking poles need to be checked, but does not refer to the collapsible poles.

I looked into this, and was told that I couldn't.

Perhaps things are different now. When I have a question about carry-on luggage, I send a message to Ask TSA on Facebook Messenger. Their hours are 8am-7pm EST during the weekdays. They usually get back to me immediately

We've had mixed experience. Including being allowed to take full-length poles as carry on leaving the UK, but being told no in Italy & having to leave them behind :(

These days the adjustable poles go inside the long rucksack and into the hold, which is fine. Not sure we'd take chances with the vagaries of securitry screeners.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina