• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Trenitalia vs. Italiarail

PokeyMindy

100+ Posts
Hi,

I'm having trouble with a return train seat via the Trenitalia website (which I've used in the past with no trouble). I keep getting an error code that there are no seats. I've changed options as far as fare classe...super Economy, Economy, Premium Economy. I've tried both "choose my seats" and the option to be given a random seat.
(this is for RT Venezia-Firenze). The train to Florence is no problem, it's only the return train.

I went on the Italiarail website (which I've never used) and have no trouble getting a 2nd class seat on the return train to Venice (and no trouble Venice-Florence in the morning).

Are the same trains used only these are 2 different companies which you can buy tickets? They appear to be as departure and arrival times are the same.

I believe that buying train tickets now is much like buying airline tickets...depending on the time of day you are searching options can change!

Has anyone bought tickets via Italiarail or should I keep checking Trenitalia? both take PayPal which I prefer for these tickets.

Thank you,

Mindy

When are you trying to book? The last dates before the Summer release on the Trenitalia website, is June 9th 2018. Anything beyond that has to wait until they change the site to their Summer fares. This can happen at any time (it is Italy!) and has been as late as May, for a June ticket, before.

I'm aware of the release dates for the Super Economy fares, they are now available for May 30th. I know that now buying train tickets in Italy is much like buying airline tickets...prices can vary depending on day and time of day!
Freda, I will check Trainline.eu but will keep an eye on Trenitalia. I'd like to leave around 9:30am and return either on the 17:30 (?) or 19:30 train. (not sure of exact times)

Thank you both!

M

You should feel comfortable in using Italiarail instead of Trenitalia. I have used Italiarail on several occasions with zero problems. They seem to be easier to navigate, better readability, etc. If I recall correctly, Trenitalia is the official government train system agency web site; whereas Italiarail is private ticket agency, selling tickets on behalf of Trenitalia.

Last edited:
Italiarail works great and was worth the small fee. Booking with FS can be a mess. I would also suggest looking into the Italo rail service. We've used their high speed service from Venice to Florence twice and could not have been more pleased. I found their trains and services better than Trenitalia.

We've had problems booking online with Trenitalia and have had to go to the stazione to buy them. For that route, I'd go with Italo. They're fast and customer-oriented and have never had problems buying online.

I just spent the last hour or more buying train tickets for our upcoming trip. I was able to compare prices and schedules from Trenitalia and Italo. Ended up booking all 4 of our trips on trenitalia. After I got used to the quirks, it went well.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina