• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Trieste and Udine

Fioridave

10+ Posts
We’ve been to Italy many times, so we’ve seen most of the areas, so we are thinking of Trieste and Udine. They look very interesting. We like to spend at least a few days in any place That we go to. If you have been to either or both, how were they and how much time would you recommend. Thank.
Dave

We spent a week in Udine last Spring. You can look at my blog to see how and what we did:
In a nutshell I would highly recommend it if you are into "off the beaten path" spots.

We have been twice to Trieste but just for a day or two and a bunch of years back.
Where are you in Florida? me, Tallahassee.

We spent a week in Udine last Spring. You can look at my blog to see how and what we did:
In a nutshell I would highly recommend it if you are into "off the beaten path" spots.

We have been twice to Trieste but just for a day or two and a bunch of years back.
Where are you in Florida? me, Tallahassee.

I’m generally interested the culture, arts, and history of places, including everything from architecture to food. I’m not interested in naturalparks, since we have lots of that here. When I travel I want to see what we don’t have here, from Gothic cathedrals to Roman Ruins ruins, to WWII sites, and so on.

Ottima idea per un viaggio!
We two have been thinking about FVG (Friuli Venezia Giulia) for our next trip, in part because I believe it's off much of the tourist radar (and hope that's so). My Italian teacher grew up in Portogruaro, an attractive small town very close to the border with the Region of FVG.

Haven't done a lot of research, but Udine seems centrally located and much to recommend on its own. By train an hour to Trieste. Fairly close to Aquileia (Roman era). From Trieste I'd fancy a day trip to Slovenia.

Thank you Jan for the pointer to your blog.

Reactions: jan
It is way off the radar. I have many friends who travel a lot, and haven’t met anyone wh has been there. I also know a lot of Italian, and only one or two have been there. The other place that we went to that is off the radar is Le Marche, also well worth the trip.

happy travels.

We spent several days in Trieste prior to the pandemic and would like to go back. Visit Miramar castle -- if you have good weather it is in a stunning location. The history of Trieste is interesting too. Enjoy!

I just returned back from Italy. Flew into Rome & took train to Udine for 6 Nights. Udine is beautiful & Culturally interesting. Did day trips to Trieste twice. One day to visit Miramar Castle &
One day for Trieste. Went to Aquelia & GRADO.
Twice went to GRADO as it is beautiful. All the train & bus ride less than an hour.

Udine was a Venetian possession and had echoes of that history in its architecture.

Trieste was of interest, but honestly have to say there was nothing that really stood out.

If you like war history, the Italian WW I cemetery at Redipuglia (about a half an hour from Trieste) is evocative. We were able to see some ceremonies while there, but that was a serendipitous thing. The simple arrangement of all the stones is a sad thing as you read through the names. There is a very small chapel and display of photographs at the far end of the cemetery. The Isonzo campaigns were fought in the region near Redipuglia.

I would also suggest taking a look at Ljubljana, Slovenia, and hour north of Trieste. You need to buy a windshield sticker when entering the country (service stations carry them), but there is a beautiful (small) old town area of Ljbubljana and Lake Bled is a short distance away. The food and architecture make it worth the drive to Ljubljana.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina