• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Canada Trip Report – Maine, USA to New Brunswick, Canada

Colo

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Well I took a different twist this trip. Instead of a live blog, I waited until we returned and did a trip report in blog format. It makes it a long read, but I tried to use as many pictures as I could to tell the story.

We had great trip, and hope you enjoy!

Feel free to leave questions/comments on the blog or here on Slow Europe

Exploring the North - Maine to New Brunswick!

Last edited:
Thanks for the report, Colo, and great photos. That part of North America has been on my want-to-go list for ages, so it's nice at least to see it through other eyes in the meantime. By the way, what do vegetarians do for meals over there? ;)

Joe,

Thank you for the kind words. The beauty of New England and New Brunswick is absolutely stunning in the fall.

To answer your question, what do vegetarians do for meals? – why they eat vegetables of course!
Sorry I had to do it… Bad Joke :oops:

My wife does eat meat/seafood, but will always leans towards a vegetable entrée. You will not have any problems finding vegetarian, gluten free, and even vegan items on the menus or restaurant that specialize in one of the three.

The pubs maybe a little harder, but if I remember correctly even they had a limiting offering of vegetable based dishes. I would say visiting that part of the world, it would be a great time to become a flexitarian for a short while because of the quality of the seafood.

If you do start planning I am not sure I would want to visit in the summer because of the amount of folks who go to enjoy the cool summer and the great outdoors. Personally, I love fall travel, but if you decided that is the time definitely go before mid-October. Everything starts shutting down for the season.

Once again thanks for checking it out and excuse my humor… or lack thereof

Last edited:
Joe,
The beauty of New England and New Brunswick is absolutely stunning in the fall.

Now that you've committed an act of self-incrimination, please put up a photo on the "Autumn" thread in this week's Photohunt ! ;)

To answer your question, what do vegetarians do for meals? – why eat vegetables of course!
Sorry I had to do it… Bad Joke :oops:

No offense taken! :D I was just wondering if there is anything vegetarian that is especially good and local that is on par with the seafood...

No planning on the horizon, but I would definitely make it a fall trip.

Thanks for posting a link to your trip report. I grew up in New England. Have not been back to Maine for a very long time now. Loved your photos of both Maine and New Brunswick and am drooling over both your lobster dinner and lobster roll!

Susan,

Time for a trip back East?
Thanks for checking it out.

The problem is whenever I decide to fly that way, I fly right past New England and go to Italy instead! I do need to get back to New England sometime though.

It's fun to see my home state (Maine) through different eyes! Thank you for sharing this. We have been to Ports of Italy ourselves and really enjoyed it. Glad you got to visit Monhegan Island and Boothbay Harbor! It's such a lovely area, and it looks like you had great weather. Your report on the Canadian portion of the trip made me want to revisit that area myself! Except for the border crossing back to the US...!

I do also think the color has been delayed this year-- perhaps because it's been so warm. According to the website that tracks foliage in Maine, we're only just in the High Peak range for the Downeast area now, with the lower section of the state slightly behind.

Susan,
Understand that totally... Maybe look for a cheap flight to Boston and do a couple days on the way.

devarae,
same in Virginia, only in the highest elevations are the leaves turning
and you do have a lovely state

Hi, Colo,

Just finished reading your trip report and really enjoyed it. Beautiful pictures too, that really captured the flavor.

But I was appalled to read about how the cruise ships are taking over here too. How sad. Is there no place left along the coasts that they aren't desecrating?

You know Roz, the invasion of Cruise ships could be a discussion topic on the Travel Talk thread. I know when they dock in some ports, especially in numbers, they will discharge more passengers at their port of call than actually live there. Saint Thomas is a classic example of that.

We have been on one cruise. It was on a large ship and we did not like it at all.
However since 9/11 it seems more folks (in the US anyway) believe it is the safer way to travel.

I do not want, nor should I throw stones, but I have to say that they have greatly impacted the Caribbean since we started going in the 70s. I cannot say for the good or the bad, but the islands are totally different.

In full disclosure... We are going on a river cruise in 5 weeks up the Rhine.
I am sure the river ships are now having the same impact on inland ports as the big boys do on the coast. And I guess we are part of the invasion from the sea.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina