• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

TV - The Young Pope

Pauline

Forums Admin
We just finished watching the TV series, The Young Pope, by Paolo Sorrentino, starring Jude Law and Diane Keaton. It was on SKY Atlantic in the UK. It will be on HBO in the US in January.

This series was fantastic. Jude Law was different from anything else I have seen him in. The series is odd, thoughtful, beautifully filmed, intense - I loved it. The Pope costumes were beautiful - and the scenes in the Vatican and St Peter's Square.

From HBO: "Set in present-day Vatican City, The Young Pope follows the turbulent papacy of Lenny Belardo, the Catholic Church’s first American pope—and a polarizing one to boot."

Sorrentino directed the movie The Great Beauty - set in Rome.

Thanks Pauline...we will take another look. We watched Episode 1 and haven't returned to it. I have a bad reaction to most Paolo Sorrentino films which I have found to be excessively arty and over the top.

I agree - it is totally is over the top, but it's a visual feast. I also love listening to the Italian and trying to pick up words I know.

It seems this way with all HBO shows - but I also love the opening sequence - the graphics, the electric Watchtower song, right down to Jude's wink.

I thought this series was superb. Anything that Sorrentino directs is unbelievable. If you haven't already, check out La Grande Bellezza

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina