• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Two open days near Milan

caliroan

10+ Posts
After our week in Croatia and four days in Padenghe sul Garda, we have two open nights before we fly back to New York from Milan MXP.

I'm not at all familiar with this part of Italy. Any thoughts on where we should spend our two open nights?

Googling a bit has me looking at Novara or maybe Pavia. We'd like to be less than an hour from MXP, but we don't care to stay in Milan proper.

Suggestions most welcome!

Will you have a car?

If so, Brescia is a nice town not far from Padenghe sul Garda. Bergamo is worth a visit IMHO. I really enjoyed the 4 days I spent there. Out of the two cities you are thinking of, I would pick Novara over Pavia.

If you won't have a car, keep in mind that most towns outside of Milan will be 1.5 to 2 hours to Malpensa by train or bus.

Having a car it may not be very wise staying in Milan... Unless you find not very central accommodation or a place with a garage... In Milano parking can be a bit of a pain.
Bergamo is a great option indeed, just consider a little extra time to reach Malpensa since you'll be driving around Milan. Another lake could be an option but you'll probably have had enough with Garda.
Vigevano is very near Malpensa and it's absolutely lovely... Don't know when you'll be travelling, though... Mosquitoes are a real problem in that area... So if you'll be going during the summer I'd stay east of Milan.

@caliroan - Orta San Giulio on Lago d'Orta is an excellent location for a relaxing couple of days before flying out of MXP. I've done this a coupe of times and would happily return again. If memory serves it was about 45 minutes to the airport. Hotel La Bussola would be my choice there. Bergamo is also a good location if you want something a little more lively and cosmopolitan.
I don't mean to give too much advice, but do you have a specific reason for choosing Padenghe sul Garda? Since you have a car I highly recommend heading to the north end of the lake. It is much more scenic. I've spent extended periods in Riva dal Garda over many years. It's by far my favorite town on the lake. I like Hotel Europa right on the lakefront.You'll be coming from the east so you can head up the Autostrada - The roads can get very crowded on both sides of the lake.

Novara a lovely city, but with a car I'd personally be looking to countryside. If you want to be in a city, then Novara is a great choice.

If those two nights are at the weekend, then I'd thoroughly recommend the Agriturismo 'Il Cavenago' in Ghemme. The setting is wonderful, including a dusk acrobatic display from the resident bats that we never tire of. The rooms with plenty of heavy old oak furniture, and nicely spacious, yet with very modern en-suite. However it's the wonderful multi course meals that are the best reason, including wonderful risotto and a good local wine list.

Ghemme itself is nothing much to look at, but has a lovely inner charm in the people. Nearby Gattinara is more appealing on the eye.

Both are close to Milano Malpensa, and also to the major autostrade, yet are rural.

Thanks very much Giulia - Matt - and Ian.
Matt - we chose Padenghe sul Garda mostly because we found a large, affordable, well-reviewed place thru Airbnb. We are traveling with our teenage twins, but during our time at the lake my brother and his family will be joining us from their home in Austria. Very little in the way of available inventory at the north end of the lake thru Airbnb. And as far as my kids are concerned the closer they are to Gardaland, the better :)

Still sorting thru options for our two days outside Milan. Novara, Bergamo, Orta San Giulio and Varese all in the mix.

I really enjoyed researching the options suggested by Giulia, Matt, Joe, and Ian!
We settled on Matt D's suggestion -Hotel La Bussola in Orta San Giulio - great reviews, great location, and traveling with teens, it's hard to beat a place that has a pool, AND sits right on a lake!
Our preliminary plan is to leave Venice, drive to Varese, get lunch, walk the Sacro Monte di Varese,then drive to Orta for our two night stay.
Happy and safe travels to all

Last edited:
Be sure to visit the Sacro Monte in Orta San Giulio too, and there's another in Varallo - not too far and a pleasant drive. They're all very different. Take the short boat ride to the monastery on Isola San Giulio. If you're there on Sunday there's a good restaurant that I think is only open that one day a week. You'll need to reserve because it gets booked. Hope you enjoy it.

Starting to plan this year's trip, I realized I never buttoned up our experience from LAST year.

(We spent a week in Croatia, then several days each in Venice/Padenghe sul Garda/Orta San Giulio)

I didn't anticipate falling for Venice, but wow. An amazing city, despite the obvious downsides of so. many. tourists. We had a blast wandering the main vias and the back alleys. The Peggy Guggenheim was a highlight. Our base at Palazzo Odoni was perfectly adequate. A day trip to Murano was highlighted by a fantastic meal at B Ristorante.

Next stop - Padenghe sul Garda and several days at "GardaSeeNow" booked thru Air BnB. Wonderful huge clean apartment, off the tourist beaten path, a sliver of a lake view, very affordable. Rented a boat in Moniga, hit a beach club, visited Gardaland as a treat for the kids, wandered Desenzano, Sirmione etc. Relaxing and memorable.

We spent an enjoyable half-day in Verona on the way to Orta San Giulio. Matt D, thank you for putting this amazing place on our radar. At your suggestion we stayed at Hotel la Bussola - perfect, with a breathtaking view from the hotel terrace.
Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 9.49.35 AM.png
The town of Orta could not be more picturesque, and our half-day at Sacro Monte di Orta was truly unforgettable. We visited the monastic island in the middle of the lake and had the best meal of our trip at La Motta.

Next up for us - Sicily - birthplace of my paternal grandparents. I've never been - my wife lived there for a year while serving in the USAF.

Caliroan - I'm glad you enjoyed Orta S. Giulio and La Bussola. I haven't been back there in years. Maybe this will encourage me. I'm wondering , did they install AC in the rooms yet?
Matt

Both our rooms had AC in July! La Bussola works great for families - there is a park across the street, and a "mini golf" center with hamburger stand adjacent. Our teens ate there one afternoon while my wife and I lunched at the excellent hotel restaurant.

@caliroan - Orta San Giulio on Lago d'Orta is an excellent location for a relaxing couple of days before flying out of MXP. I've done this a coupe of times and would happily return again. If memory serves it was about 45 minutes to the airport. Hotel La Bussola would be my choice there. Bergamo is also a good location if you want something a little more lively and cosmopolitan.
I don't mean to give too much advice, but do you have a specific reason for choosing Padenghe sul Garda? Since you have a car I highly recommend heading to the north end of the lake. It is much more scenic. I've spent extended periods in Riva dal Garda over many years. It's by far my favorite town on the lake. I like Hotel Europa right on the lakefront.You'll be coming from the east so you can head up the Autostrada - The roads can get very crowded on both sides of the lake.
I'm with Matt. We've stayed in Orta San Gulio twice, both times for a week and I'd happily return there for another week.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina