• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Two Weeks in Lyon Area

Kportgrl

10+ Posts
I am asking for advice for an early fall itinerary (approximately two weeks) in the Lyon area. We are looking at 4 or 5 days in Lyon itself, combined with perhaps Annecy and one or two other interesting spots. We know Lyon is a good hub destination but we don’t really want to be Day tripping everyday and prefer to situate ourselves and explore where we are. We don’t mind driving 2,3 or 4 hours on the changeover day, if necessary. Have been to Provence and Riviera so don’t feel the need to go that direction. We are early 60’s, somewhat active, enjoy good food and wine and sightseeing. Thanks in advance!

Hi Kport! I'm 60 years young myself! We love Lyon and will be there again (3rd time) this year. I don't know about basing yourself there for two weeks though...where are you interested in seeing other than Lyon and Annecy?

Hi DonnaMarie

Thanks for your response.

As it turns out, we’ll be travelling Springtime 2019 as opposed to this coming fall but still working with a two week time frame. Thinking of maybe starting in Beaune area and then to Lyon and then the Ardeche and finally Annecy. Although the theme of slow travel is spending longer periods of time in places, we would likely spend 3 days in Ardeche and Beaune areas and 4 each in Lyon and Annecy. Would greatly appreciate accomodation suggestions and or itinerary ideas... not married to anything as of yet.

I think it's best to do as you've planned because to base yourself in Lyon and do day trips from there to these areas would mean too much time driving. This is exactly what we do. If we base ourselves in one place then I make sure our "day trips" are not longer than 30 minutes away.

Good to hear that Hotel des Artistes is somewhere you go back to.
We have booked there for 3 nights in October.
Several years ago we stayed in Beaune in this apartment- http://www.graperentals.com/properties/rvb.html and recommend it. Right within the walls so easy to walk around the town. We can recommend it.
The other properties they have look very good too but they are in villages close to Beaune.

Thankyou so much. I understand that Lyon is said to be somewhat of a culinary Mecca. If you have any restaurant recommendations, those would be much appreciated as well.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina