• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Umbria Restaurants

Amy

100+ Posts
We are finally returning to Umbria after many years of exploring other regions. While I have a list of places to visit that will more than fill our two weeks, I would love some restaurant recommendations. We prefer good food over flash, and are comfortable with a verbal menu in Italian. Places that are open for lunch during the week particularly appreciated, since lunch tends to be our "out" meal when wandering. Larry is a porchetta truck fan, so if anyone has recommendations on where to look for the good ones, that would be a bonus.
Thanks!

Umbertide isn't a place of major tourist interest, but if you'd like to visit and look us up in addition to the GTG, there's good porchetta at the Wednesday market, nice everyday food at the Hotel Capponi, more ambitious at San Giorgio, and Poggio Manente early on the road to Gubbio.

Another simple place we've really liked is Trattoria Pappa e Ciccia in Città di Castello.

If you will be in or near Orvieto, I highly recommend Trattoria del Conte. It's outside Orvieto on SR71. It's a family run restaurant and the food is wonderful - fresh, seasonal, delicious. The agriturismo where I stayed recommended it a few years ago and I never miss going there when I am in Orvieto.

In Orvieto centro, La Palomba is still good. Sette Consoli was excellent though I've not been there in a few years.

There is also a porchetta truck on the left just after the A1 Orvieto exit (or on your right if you are heading to the entrance). Very good and it's been there forever.

Elizabeth Minchilli, a food tour guide and restaurant reviewer based in Rome, has a house in Umbria (Todi) and her blog was very helpful to us when we visited the area for a week several years ago.

Andrew: we loved Umbertide. Especially when I learned to pronounce it correctly after several people looked at me with a stranger expression than usual when I asked for Umber (like in Dumber) tide (like the ocean waves).

Edited to Add: I just remembered that Elizabeth Minchilli's restaurant smartphone app. "Eat Italy" has been expanded. The app. is free & within you can download the specific city/region apps. I think the Umbria one is only 99cents or so. Several years ago, when she first developed the apps, I used the Florence one extensively and found a # of great places. Later on, I thought the Rome one was very good as well. I'd assume that the Umbria one would be similarly beneficial.

Last edited:
From another thread a couple of years ago:

Not sure whether or not this is needed or of interest, but several years ago we wound up with Alessandra, owner of http://www.discoveringumbria.it/index.html for a day of touring small, family run olive oil frantoias and groves. It was free to us, arranged by a friend here in NYC who imports olive oil, so I'm not at all sure of whether its worth the cost or whether we got a standard tour or something meant to impress our friend's Italy friends (who sub-contracted her for us). At any rate, we loved driving around with her in the Todi area. She's extremely adaptable to whatever you're interested in. Also, not sure if you care about wines but I think the place to go would be Paolo Bea http://www.cellartours.com/italy/italian-wineries/paolo-bea-winery.html . We went to the Caprai vineyards, since we like their wines, but I think that they may be a little too glossy/businesslike in their approach to tourists. The Sagrantino in Montefalco is high in alcohol but very good.

A few years ago, my mom and I had a lovely lunch at La bottega di Memmo e Gilda in Montegiove, maybe 20kms east of Città della Pieve. I'm afraid I can't remember what we ate except that it was the first time I tasted truffles and I enjoyed my dish very much. We had the tiny terrace to ourselves - gorgeous view! I love Umbria!

If you're in Assisi, Amy, I really like the Trattoria degli Umbri, right on the main piazza in front of the fountain. Great food and service, and prices are reasonable.

If you're in Montefalco, I always enjoy L'Alchimista on the main square. Last month, Mary Thomas Tacconi took me to a fantastic restaurant right beside L'Alchimista called Locanda del Teatro. A bit pricier, it's located inside a posh hotel and has a beautiful back patio for dining.

Reactions: Amy
Amy I might have sent you this already, but in case I did not here is our list of good places. I try to keep it up to date. The Moro Aronne in Orvieto is a recent discover and we liked it very much. We are regulars at Canasta in Spoleto, Antiche Sere in Bevagna, Ristorante Basilica in Santa Maria degli Angeli. All extremely simple places, as you know we like home style: https://madonnadelpiatto.com/classic-umbrian-day-trips/

Reactions: Amy

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina