• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Unexpected Day/Night in Paris

Christine

10+ Posts
I booked airfare for me, my husband, and my sister-in-law to Rome (return from Venice) for early next year on Air France. Air France has now changed a few of our flights so we are faced with an unexpected night in Paris inbound to Rome. I know - poor us. Paris has never been in the cards for us, at least, not until we retire. So ... one night. I know there is a company at CDG that we can pay to hold our luggage for the day, so we just can take a small bag into town with us.

What can we do with 24 hours? I cannot change the flights to stay longer but I'm thinking bread, chocolate, I've had Alexandra Sojfer's website bookmarked for years, possibly some fragrance places? Or is this enough time for two travelers who don't get that jetlagged going east and one newbie traveler who has never been to Europe to see any worthwhile sights?

Where's a good place to stay for one night? Even if we just stay the night and walk around a lot, I'd like to be central.

I don't want to resign ourselves to staying at a hotel at CDG.

Thank you for your advice.

Hi Christine
I'm just wondering whether they would naturally keep hold of your hold luggage as part of the usual straight through processing? Might be worth asking them.

If so, then careful arrangement of carry-on bags could be all that's needed.

Timing of the flights would influence my decision, bu yes unless it was a late arrival or early departure, or so short a period that it wasn't practical to get into the city, then I'd be looking to get away from the airport and the stale air-conditioning that's not much better than on the plane.

I like your thinking on what to do, which would be very much along the same lines as my thinking, but would get a :rolleyes: from the brains of the operation. In the 'anti-tourist':wacky: way I sometimes think, I wonder whether finding a convenient suburb or nearby village might be a pleasing way to grab a few nice food items, but also avoid trying to cram in the usual tourist sites. The idea being to have somewhere peaceful and normal after the artificial pain of international flights. I rather enjoy the irony of being in/near a famous city and patiently avoiding the famous stuff. I doubt many others share my attitude though!

Regards
Ian

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina