• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Using An Italian Cellphone In Slovenia

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Last summer we had no problem buying a German SIM card for our Italian cellphone to use during our month in Germany and Belgium. This coming summer we'll be in Italy for several weeks, then visit Slovenia for 10 days, the we'll go back to Italy for the last few days.

I'm assuming that we can use our Italian cell in Slovenia, and realize we might have to pay a higher rate because we're out of the country - is that correct? I also just realized that I'd better make sure I have plenty of credit on my phone since we won't be able to add any credit when we're in Slovenia - or will we? Our Italian cell service is with TIM. If I buy a €10 phone card, is it possible to activate/add that card from Slovenia?

Fingers crossed that someone will know the answers!

Currently there are EU regulations for cell phone roaming charges within the EU and the rates are not bad. You pay for incoming and outgoing calls on a higher rate than "at home". This only applies to cell phones with SIM cards from countries in the EU and traveling (roaming) within the EU.

But the EU Commission is bringing in new legislation that is scheduled to start this summer - July 2014. One article I read said that the first step was to drop all incoming charges on roaming mobile phones across the EU by July 2014, and standardize outgoing charges so there are no roaming charges across the EU by 2016. But according to this article, it looks like they are fast tracking this change and all roaming charges may be gone by this summer.

>> From the Telegraph, October 2013: Cameron hails EU block on mobile roaming fees

Check with the website of your telecom provider. They should have the details. If this all happens, we can figure out which EU telecom provider has the best rates and get SIM cards from there, since the charges will be the same in all EU countries. With UK providers you can "top up" online.

I travel with my UK phone to France and use it for calls and texts. My provider (O2) offers a daily charge to get unlimited calls, texts and data each day.

Barb, We were in Slovenia two years ago and had no trouble with cell phone service. We used one of our US cell phones and bought a local SIM card. Coverage was excellent.

I'm thinking (hoping) that the simplest thing to do is to make sure I have plenty of credit loaded on to my Italian cell so I don't have to bother with another SIM card. For our 10 days in Slovenia I don't think we'll use our phone much, but it will give me peace of mind.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina