• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Valpolicella Region Agriturismo or Inn?

Hi Amy
I have only one recommendation and it only partially fits. Massimago in Mezzane di Sotto. They make their own wines, plus have good apartments. However the highlights come with a stunning breakfast spread, served on your own patio area, plus stunning grounds, with an excellent swimming pool and a sauna. Self-catering and simply enjoying the evening in the garden is a worthwhile option (but the Mozzies can be voracious at certain times of the year - they certainly were in September)

The caveat is they don't serve evening meals, so it's a ~ 20 minutes walk into the village and ~ 25-30 minutes walk back (they're on a hill). The walking is on very quiet roads without pavements (expect to see maybe 2 cars for a one way walk and we saw no-one driving stupidly). In the village there is a small selection. We ate at trattorialatorre.it and enjoyed it - a nice feel with good regional food. There are other options in the village as well. If looking for another wine tasting, Roccolo Grassi in the village was a genuine highlight - one of the best Valpolicella's we've tasted, but the whole range was exemplary.

Regards
Ian

Reactions: Amy
I suspect the restaurant will be good, and if breakfast is anything to go by, you'll be very well-fed.

Ian, we are having a just delightful time at Massimago. And dinner was absolutely wonderful. Boned rabbit with tartufo, how could it not be? (I told Larry we need to go apologize to the bunnies on the hill) Their Amarone is delicious, some is going home with us. Thank you for the recommendation.

Attachments

• 63AE2B3C-4622-46BF-872D-263920CDE4B3.jpeg
    63AE2B3C-4622-46BF-872D-263920CDE4B3.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 13
Hi Amy
Super!

Yes we have a bottle of their 2009 Amarone sat in the cellar waiting for a good moment to drink it.

We used to have a rabbit as a pet, one of the large breeds used for meat (or worse). I think getting it was a way of giving one of them a better life. As a result I have a desire not to eat rabbit, albeit I'm pragmatic about it e.g. I'll not order it, but
- I will order a game pie (which may well have rabbit in it - I just don't ask)
- If it arrives as part of a set meal / banquet, then there's nothing I can do about it, so will eat as long as I don't think too much about it (and I will acknowledge it is tasty)

I see truffle as well :). It's a rare treat when we're in Italy in October or November. Although they do get imported here, the price of the white truffles becomes crazy, so we make do with the occasional black truffle.

Enjoy the rest of the trip!

Regards
Ian

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina