• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Vatican Museums

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Over the years we've always toured the Vatican Museums with a guide. Because of this we've always gone on the the same route, through the same rooms, but this year we'd like to see the rest of the Vatican Museums - but I'm not sure what's possible. I remember reading that they have an Etruscan room, and I see something on their website about "hidden museums" - which all require advance booking for a guided tour. So - I'm guessing it's not possible to just wander around on your own - but I'm not really sure. While I certainly don't mind seeing the rooms included on the standard tour, I'd really like to see the rest of the museum. Can anyone enlighten me?

Cannot answer you question, but was curious have you done the Scavi Tour?
If so... did you like it?

My husband and I have done the Scavi tour 3 times...2005, 2010, and 2017. The second and third repeat visits were due more to the fact that we had brought friends with us who had not been on the tour before and were interested in going. We enjoyed the tour each time...the last time probably the least due to the fact that our guide had a very heavy Dutch accent that was difficult to understand. The guides were different each visit...different nationalities with different perspectives. We thought our 2017 visit was very crowded...there were 2 different groups trying to squeeze past each other all the time and we could hear the other guide speaking when we were trying to listen to our guide. On our first two visits, we never saw another group. It is a very interesting tour and, if you can obtain permission to take it, I definitely would.

Again you have the right idea.

On our last visit of the museum, we had started out following Rick Steves's doodling - but indeed effective - map all the way to the Sistine Chapel. It would be wholy qualified as a zoo, as Pauline would put it. As with every mass tourism site, especially mass tourism sites in Rome, we could not wait to get the hell out.
Then we saw thisbiblical exodus out a side-door, the Rick Steves's side-door.
As huge crowds from 5 continents, herded by screaming guides, are squeezing out of this tiny door, we decided to go where - wherever - they were not going. We continued the long route (about 20 minites), going from one treasure-filled deserted room to another. It was truly splendid isolation. In some of those rooms we were the only people there. Of all the times we have visited the Vatican museum, perhaps 4 times, perhaps more, that was the visit we enjoyed most.
Maybe I should make a Rick Steves alternative map, showing all the places he tells you to skip.
I am not a Rick Steves hater. I already said I liked his maps.
For some things.
One big problem is that he has established a world map for … the world ! Everyone from every country follows his map, which creates its own Ricks human traffic jam. Moreover, what RS tells you to skip is based on his own dislikes. One example is the Santa Cecilia church in Trastevere. He said the basement has nothing special. Actually it has an extensive and excellently preserved site of excavation ! It was one of the highlights of our last trip.

Conclusion: yes, after the Sistine Chapel, just continue straight and take the 20-minute walk out of the museum instead of the RS side-door short-cut. You will have a totally different experience, all by yourselves.

Attachments

• Vatican museum ceiling *.jpg
    Vatican museum ceiling *.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 9

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina